Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

GLOW (Netflix) -- S: Brie, Maron, Gilpin -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/29/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

GLOW (Netflix) -- S: Brie, Maron, Gilpin -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/29/18

Old 06-26-18, 10:56 AM

The girls are back in town. Season 2 of GLOW returns June 29th - bring your leg warmers.
10 episode second season.

One of the rare streaming comedies that has garnered much discussion and worthy of a new season thread!

Please use spoiler tags for any major plot discussion.
Old 06-28-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- S: Brie, Maron, Gilpin -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/29/18

Season 2 is currently 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Must not watch them all tomorrow.....
Old 06-28-18, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- S: Brie, Maron, Gilpin -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/29/18

I'm off tomorrow, so it will be binged after the World Cup games.
Old 06-28-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'm off tomorrow, so it will be binged after the World Cup games.
Which World Cup games?
Old 06-28-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Season 1 was a lot of fun--I've been looking forward to more. Will definitely be a binge watch this weekend.
Old 06-28-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Which World Cup games?
Oh shit. I guess there's nothing until Saturday morning. Well then, I'll be binging this bright and early!

Old 06-29-18, 06:45 PM

Almost done. Another great season.
Old 06-29-18, 07:51 PM

Shiiiit they set up a next season nicely. I want more now. Hopefully it is renewed quickly.
Old 06-30-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was an exquisite season of television.
Old 07-02-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-03-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was a pretty good season.
Old 07-03-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, this new season was great. I did notice that they scaled back the salaciousness somewhat. I think Liberty Bell vs. Welfare Queen episode was the roughest due to the social commentary involved. One of my favorite ones was the character storylines episode. I do like Brie's faux Russian accent. It's hilarious. "Your only mother will be Mother Russia!"
Old 07-04-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished, and I liked this season as much as if not more than season 1. The three leads--Alison Brie, Betty Gilpin, and Mark Maron--are so good in this. The show does an excellent job of balancing the comedy and the drama. They also are great at depicting the look and feel of the 80s, without rubbing our faces in it.

Great setup for season 3, I'll be looking forward to it.

EDIT: And holy crap! I was just checking out Gilpin's IMDB page and saw that she plays Fiona on the show Elementary! I never made that connection--the two characters are about as different as can be and she has a whole different look as 'Fiona'. Man, my mind is blown.
Old 07-04-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
EDIT: And holy crap! I was just checking out Gilpin's IMDB page and saw that she plays Fiona on the show Elementary! I never made that connection--the two characters are about as different as can be and she has a whole different look as 'Fiona'. Man, my mind is blown.
I looked her up yesterday because I couldn't shake a vibe that I'd seen her before, but I had no idea where. Turns out I'd seen her on Nurse Jackie as a cute doctor who relied quite a bit on her looks (as opposed to her knowledge and skill).

The show has been just OK for me, but it has some charm. The silliness gets cranked up past my tolerance level at times, but that's pretty much par for the course for this type of show. Overall, I've liked it enough to continue watching. I wouldn't put it up there with Strange Things for 80's nostalgia, but I do find myself saying, "Hey, I remember that song," quite a bit (in a good way). The only thing I've really disliked so far was episode 8 ("The Good Twin"). I haven't yet seen episodes 9 and 10, but as long as they go back to the original tone, I suspect episode 8 will be the exception of the season.
Old 07-05-18, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
The only thing I've really disliked so far was episode 8 ("The Good Twin"). I haven't yet seen episodes 9 and 10, but as long as they go back to the original tone, I suspect episode 8 will be the exception of the season.
I ended up fast forwarded through much of that episode. Thankfully 9 and 10 were back to the standard format.
Old 07-05-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked episode 8.
Old 07-05-18, 11:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i am like still on ep. 2 of S1. it wasn't grabbing me. i like the premise. certainly Alison Brie. does it take a bit to get going?
Old 07-05-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i am like still on ep. 2 of S1. it wasn't grabbing me. i like the premise. certainly Alison Brie. does it take a bit to get going?
No. It should start up right away with its scathing humor.
Old 07-05-18, 03:07 PM

Strong work from Gilpin this season. Great show overall.
Old 07-05-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lots of stuff going on this season... interested to know more about the Bash story. If he'll come out in Season 3? Really played the 80's AIDS phobia well when he had the house sanitized. Really nice ending giving Ruth credit for what she's done by handing her the title.

It's pretty much followed some of the real GLOW show.
Old 07-06-18, 09:18 PM

I find it funny that people are complaining about episode 8...that's what GLOW was. Awful matches with terrible comedy filler. If anything, that had WAY better writing than the real thing.

I really enjoyed the season. Episode 9 kinda worried me because you could see where it was all going and you were waiting for the twist...and there wasn't any.

But the payoff in the last episode made up for it. They seem absolutely confident we are getting a season 3.
Old 07-07-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I blew through GLOW in a couple of days. Man, I love this show, and I enjoyed the heck out of Episode 8. Looking forward to a third season.
Old 07-09-18, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by sydonesia View Post
I find it funny that people are complaining about episode 8...that's what GLOW was. Awful matches with terrible comedy filler.
GLOW was bad tv, I don't like to watch bad tv. Even a modern interpretation of it.
Old 07-09-18, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sydonesia View Post
I find it funny that people are complaining about episode 8...that's what GLOW was. Awful matches with terrible comedy filler. If anything, that had WAY better writing than the real thing.
Yes, but we really didn't need an entire episode showing us the end result the viewer would see. A few scenes here and there would've sufficed. I was bored and just "fast-forwarded" through the episode as it was a waste of time.

Just because it's realistic, doesn't mean we need to see it. People take shits in real life, but I don't need to watch a character sitting on a toilet struggling for 10 minutes to get the point.
Old 07-09-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would imagine many viewers never watched a real episode. That might've been some feedback.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.