DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Chucky (SYFY / USA) -- Child's Play TV series from Don Mancini -- premieres 10/12/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/644422-chucky-syfy-usa-childs-play-tv-series-don-mancini-premieres-10-12-21-a.html)

Mike86 07-25-21 05:39 PM

re: Chucky (SYFY / USA) -- Child's Play TV series from Don Mancini -- premieres 10/12/21

That looks pretty good to me so far. The only thing is I question how long it can last. A limited series may be better than something that carries on over more than one season.

GoldenJCJ 07-25-21 09:17 PM

re: Chucky (SYFY / USA) -- Child's Play TV series from Don Mancini -- premieres 10/12/21

It’s nice that they went closer to the original Chucky design than the one they used for the last movie but…

These kids just keep getting older! That kid looked like he was in high school. Did he actually have his doll sitting next to him in science class?! No wonder he didn’t have any friends. :lol:

Gizmo 07-25-21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13962071)
It’s nice that they went closer to the original Chucky design than the one they used for the last movie but…

These kids just keep getting older! That kid looked like he was in high school. Did he actually have his doll sitting next to him in science class?! No wonder he didn’t have any friends. :lol:

I have a feeling Chucky is controlling him? Is this supposed to be the same Chucky from every movie (except the latest "reboot")?

Trailer looked good. Looking forward to it. Hope its uncut, somewhere.

dvd-4-life 07-25-21 11:08 PM

Any chance we see a reboot of Freddy's Nightmares?

Dan1boy 07-26-21 11:43 AM

It's been at least a decade since I've watched anything on SyFy but am a huge Chucky fan.

What's the profanity quotient look like on this series? F bombs bleeped? Just a bit confused on how a non-premium cabler is handling Chucky's potty mouth.

Gizmo 07-26-21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy (Post 13962237)
It's been at least a decade since I've watched anything on SyFy but am a huge Chucky fan.

What's the profanity quotient look like on this series? F bombs bleeped? Just a bit confused on how a non-premium cabler is handling Chucky's potty mouth.

USA aired Suits with plenty of F bombs.

dex14 07-26-21 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy (Post 13962237)

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13916711)
SyFy can and has aired R rated shows with hardcore violence, strong language, and nudity. There shouldn’t be an issue with this not being able to “get away with more.”

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13916736)
That goes for all of cable. They don’t have regulated content rules. It’s up to the channel themselves if want to air content like that. They used to be too scared to, but that basically went out the window around 5 years ago.

And per Mancini:
Syfy and USA have a strong appetite, as strong as ours, for keeping the TV series tonally in check with what the fans want to see. Before we even sold the show, we had to confirm with the network that Chucky could drop his F-bombs. Chucky gets 10 F-bombs per episode, so that's more than enough. It made me want to do an episode where Chucky, without ever having said anything off-color, at the end of the episode, he just turns to the camera and goes, 'F---, f---, f---, f---, f---, f---, f---, f---, f---.' It's the inverse of the way Spielberg used Chucky in his cameo in Ready Player One. Since that was a PG-13, they had one mandated F-bomb at their disposal and Spielberg chose to deploy it with Chucky's appearance, which I loved.

DJariya 07-31-21 03:24 PM

Re: Chucky (SYFY / USA) -- Child's Play TV series from Don Mancini -- premieres 10/12/21

Making of featurette from Comic Con at home last week. They interview Mancini and the cast. And yes it's in continuity with the Child's Play movies that Mancini did.

They mention on it that it's going to be 8 episodes.

dex14 10-01-21 08:08 PM

Re: Chucky (SYFY / USA) -- Child's Play TV series from Don Mancini -- premieres 10/12/21

dex14 10-12-21 06:12 AM

This premieres tonight.

Mike86 10-12-21 04:22 PM

My DVR is set. Looking forward to checking it out.

DJariya 10-13-21 11:40 PM

Just finished the first episode. I’m not sure how I feel. It’s very campy like the later Child’s Play movies with dark humor. And the kids in this show are suppose to be 8th graders so they’re like 13 years old. It was interesting that they had Devon Sawa play twins and they kill off the asshole twin.

But the preview for upcoming weeks does show that Chucky is going to cause more havoc.

joe_b 10-14-21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13997580)
It was interesting that they had Devon Sawa play twins and they kill off the asshole twin.

I wonder if there is a reason in the story that required them to be twins, or whether Sawa just thought it would be fun to play the asshole father as well.

I actually enjoyed the first episode more than I expected to. Wasn't really into Curse of Chucky, but thought the follow-up had some fun and gory set pieces. I'm at least interested to see where they go with the Nica storyline on this show. Also, I wish they could get Catherine Hicks to come back for an episode (even if it's just a cameo). Would also be nice if they at least reference what they hell happened to Glen/Glenda, but apparently Universal was adamant that Mancini refrain from even mentioning them in the last two sequels.

Dan1boy 10-15-21 10:46 AM

Huge Chucky fan but just wasn't a fan of Mancini's dialogue. Older men writing for teens has always struck me as awkward.

Thought it was just...okay. In for the ride, though. Still love my Charles Lee Ray.

PhantomStranger 10-15-21 03:52 PM

This didn't really grab me like a good pilot/premiere should though it wasn't unwatchable. I'll give the show a couple episodes in case it took them time to find a footing. The Chucky premise works better as horror comedy than straight horror, we'll see how they handle it going forward.

Mike86 10-17-21 12:57 AM

I watched the first episode yesterday and liked it pretty well. It actually was better than I was expecting.

I like the main kid, and of course Chucky himself is entertaining. Seemed predictable that the dad was going to get killed eventually with how big of a douche he was.

Gizmo 10-23-21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 13997885)
I wonder if there is a reason in the story that required them to be twins, or whether Sawa just thought it would be fun to play the asshole father as well.

I actually enjoyed the first episode more than I expected to. Wasn't really into Curse of Chucky, but thought the follow-up had some fun and gory set pieces. I'm at least interested to see where they go with the Nica storyline on this show. Also, I wish they could get Catherine Hicks to come back for an episode (even if it's just a cameo). Would also be nice if they at least reference what they hell happened to Glen/Glenda, but apparently Universal was adamant that Mancini refrain from even mentioning them in the last two sequels.

Well, they just mentioned Glen/da. Crazy, I thought they were retconning most of the sequels

joe_b 10-26-21 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 14002116)
Well, they just mentioned Glen/da. Crazy, I thought they were retconning most of the sequels

I know Tiffany is supposed to be possessing Jennifer Tilly's body, but they've refrained from mentioning that and just have her living as Tiffany Valentine. That doesn't really make sense (why has she given up a mansion and celebrity lifestyle to run errands for Chucky?), but Mancini kind of wrote himself into a corner with the meta stuff in Seed of Chucky. I know Tiffany's first scene in Cult of Chucky originally had her introducing herself to Nica as "Oscar-nominee and celebrity poker star Jennifer Tilly", but Universal wanted it removed.

And technically Chucky has (or had) two kids, since the male and female sides went into separate human twins. I've been looking for any twenty-something red-haired female to appear on the show that might be Glenda (the murderous twin), but the only candidate so far is the science teacher. It's probably a long shot that scenario pans out. I suspect they were just throwing the fans a bone with the "gender fluid" line and won't mention Glen/Glenda again.

bluetoast 11-01-21 09:55 PM

I binged all the Mancini Chucky movies over the last few days (had only seen Child's Play before this) and am caught up on this show. Much better than Cult of Chucky, and reminds me of Cobra Kai with switching things up while retaining classic elements.

Gunde 11-08-21 03:39 PM

This show is a fucking hoot! :lol:
Long live Chucky!

Neil M. 11-09-21 06:37 PM

I go back and forth on whether I like the show. I sometimes feel like it would have been better to condense it and make a movie instead. 4th episode was sort of dragging for me.

Gizmo 11-09-21 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 14006141)
I binged all the Mancini Chucky movies over the last few days (had only seen Child's Play before this) and am caught up on this show. Much better than Cult of Chucky, and reminds me of Cobra Kai with switching things up while retaining classic elements.

I'm going through all the movies as well...1-3 are just not so good as I remember them. 3 is really terrible.

Thankfully, Bride is pretty great

dex14 11-11-21 04:13 PM

This has been pretty good so far and this week's episode was great. Good to see it all tie in with everything from Curse and Cult... taking place only two weeks after. The prequel aspect has been cool and Fiona Dourif playing the younger Charles Lee Ray was awesome.

DJariya 11-29-21 03:33 PM

Renewed

DJariya 11-29-21 03:46 PM

They also just announced the 1st season will be available on Peacock on Wednesday.