Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 09-24-18, 04:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
re: Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

IIRC Data's uh, Data was transferred to the dipshit clone... they can make that body look older as his contemporaries look older...
Old 09-24-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
IIRC Data's uh, Data was transferred to the dipshit clone... they can make that body look older as his contemporaries look older...
Not in Nemesis at least. I don’t know if that was changed in a novel or something later on. B-4 is an inferior prototype who had trouble understanding and learning things unlike Data or Lore. I suppose they could use the excuse that Geordi or someone modified him. Still though it wouldn’t exactly be Data even if he had his memories.
Old 09-24-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael Chabon is writing Star Trek now?
Old 09-25-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not in Nemesis at least. I don’t know if that was changed in a novel or something later on. B-4 is an inferior prototype who had trouble understanding and learning things unlike Data or Lore. I suppose they could use the excuse that Geordi or someone modified him. Still though it wouldn’t exactly be Data even if he had his memories.
Data transferred his memories to B-4 before he died. The final scene of B-4 singing "Blue Skies" showed that he had begun to process and start understanding his brother's memories.
Old 09-25-18, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Data transferred his memories to B-4 before he died. The final scene of B-4 singing "Blue Skies" showed that he had begun to process and start understanding his brother's memories.
Oh right I did forget about that. Honestly it’s been a while since I’ve watched it.
Old 09-26-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

The novels fix the Data\B4 in a covoluted bit fun way. The new shows can reference that or just handwave it away.
Old 09-26-18, 07:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The novels fix the Data\B4 in a covoluted bit fun way. The new shows can reference that or just handwave it away.
details?
Old 01-14-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/14/michell...e=facebook.com

Michelle Yeoh’s character Captain Georgiou is getting a spin-off series.
Old 01-14-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Old 01-14-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Anything that can justify why I pay for AllAccess is fine with me.
Old 01-15-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Anything that can justify why I pay for AllAccess is fine with me.
Two new Star Trek series, the return of Discovery, and new TWILIGHT ZONE should be reason enough. It's only $5 a month.
Old 01-15-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So doing a spin-off when the show it’s based off of isn’t exactly popular amongst fans? Seems like a weird decision rather than just focusing on making that show better but okay.
Old 01-15-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So doing a spin-off when the show it’s based off of isn’t exactly popular amongst fans? Seems like a weird decision rather than just focusing on making that show better but okay.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that CBS has a better idea of whether Disco's popular than we do, and if they're throwing money at a spin-off, they have good reason to think people will watch it.
Old 01-15-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that CBS has a better idea of whether Disco's popular than we do, and if they're throwing money at a spin-off, they have good reason to think people will watch it.
I'm just basing my thoughts on most of the reactions I've seen, which overall are pretty mixed at best, and realistically Star Trek still isn't a brand popular with the mainstream audience. It probably isn't hard doing a spin-off when you already have the actress cast and can probably re-use some of the sets and stuff from Discovery. It probably is being done to get more original content on CBS All Access in hopes of keeping Trek fans subscribed.
Old 01-15-19, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Two new Star Trek series, the return of Discovery, and new TWILIGHT ZONE should be reason enough. It's only $5 a month.
I don’t consider offering up a plan that holds you hostage to commercials the actual plan. Now they can charge you more for the “commercial free” tier to make it seem like you’re getting a bargain.
Old 01-15-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just basing my thoughts on most of the reactions I've seen, which overall are pretty mixed at best, and realistically Star Trek still isn't a brand popular with the mainstream audience. It probably isn't hard doing a spin-off when you already have the actress cast and can probably re-use some of the sets and stuff from Discovery. It probably is being done to get more original content on CBS All Access in hopes of keeping Trek fans subscribed.
It certainly isn't popular at the level of Star Wars, but the box office receipts for the recent movies show that there's a bigger audience for Trek than the small sliver of hardcore fans who watched Enterprise to the bitter end. The fact is, catering to the hardcores is what drove Trek off the air fifteen years ago. CBS is aiming for shows that will appeal to a much broader audience than that, and the whining from a small coterie of aging geeks isn't going to change that.
Old 01-15-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So basically do a show that’s Star Trek in name only because they want to bank off of the name, but want to abandon most of the roots of what made it what it is. If it’s popular which I think is still debatable anyways I guess it keeps the brand alive, but let’s be honest those people aren’t going back and revisiting the old shows more than likely. If the Abrams films weren’t enough to reignite people’s interest I don’t see Discovery as being different.
Old 01-15-19, 02:21 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

You're going on about something you haven't even seen?
Old 01-15-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Considering Trek fans seem to be the ones that will spend the money, there's no reason for them not to keep pumping out ST shows. I mean, I don't see a thriving community of The Good Fight fans out there to subsidize this service.
Old 01-15-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
You're going on about something you haven't even seen?
I’ve watched a bit of Discovery (just started it actually as Trek came up in the thread for The Last Jedi) but didn’t finish yet. So I can’t say whether it gets better but basing off reviews it doesn’t seem like I’ll like it any more by the end is what I meant. What I’ve seen hasn’t been doing much for me. I’ll go back to it eventually, but I’m not a huge fan of the direction it seems to be taking and the season two trailer looks like more of the same. The spin-off I don’t care about because I don’t like that character from what I’ve seen of her.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-15-19 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
CBS is aiming for shows that will appeal to a much broader audience than that, and the whining from a small coterie of aging geeks isn't going to change that.
If that was the case, they'd be airing it on the network. Is this bigger audience outside of Trek-fans who paid to see the reboot movies paying for AA? I seriously doubt it.

If you're really going for a broader audience, you don't put it in an pay on-line service with little other original content.
Old 01-16-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
If that was the case, they'd be airing it on the network. Is this bigger audience outside of Trek-fans who paid to see the reboot movies paying for AA? I seriously doubt it.

If you're really going for a broader audience, you don't put it in an pay on-line service with little other original content.
Network television is dying. Every major content creator in Hollywood is looking to start their own streaming service to compete with Netflix and Prime, because that's where the future lies, and CBS is using Star Trek to do that.

This notion that Disco is a failure and CBS is just doubling down simply doesn't wash.
Old 01-16-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

You still didn't answer if this bigger audience is paying for AA. They're not.

There is a simple reason why CBS put this on AA. Because only the die-hards would pay for it. So when you say "CBS is using Star Trek to do that," I agree 100%, but it has nothing to do with the bigger audience that paid to see the reboot movies.
Old 01-16-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Space opera has, historically, struggled on network television. The original,Star Trek struggled on NBC for three seasons before finally getting the axe. Battlestar Galactica ran one season, Firefly got canned halfway through its first season.

Voyager managed seven years on UPN, but that was an upstart network and Trek was its only draw. Enterprise was cancelled after four years on UPN, and the network ultimately folded and merged with WB’s upstart network.

Space opera seemed to really on work on first run syndication in the 80s and 90s with TNG, DS9, B5 (and even that was cancelled and rescued by TNT), and Andromeda.

The streaming services would seem to provide the same kind of home for these types of programs that syndication did for TNG in the 80s.

You still didn't answer if this bigger audience is paying for AA. They're not.

There is a simple reason why CBS put this on AA. Because only the die-hards would pay for it. So when you say "CBS is using Star Trek to do that," I agree 100%, but it has nothing to do with the bigger audience that paid to see the reboot movies.
I think Discovery’s production costs were covered by selling the international streaming rights to Netflix, so that’s how CBS is funding it.

But, yes, they’re absolutely using it as a draw to lure people to their stream8ng service. It has a built in audience that will pay to watch a new Star Trek (or Big Brother) series, that probably wouldn’t take the plunge to watch new properties like Strange Angel.
Old 01-18-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/01/sec...-access-chief/

Early word is the Picard series probably won't be ready until near the end of this year.

Also, the Michelle Yeoh Section 31 spinoff is in early development. May not be ready until after Discovery wraps as a series.

Also, the animated Trek show won't be ready until 2020 at the earliest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.