Reload this Page >

More Star Trek TV projects (including Picard series) in development

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

More Star Trek TV projects (including Picard series) in development

Old 08-05-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: More Star Trek TV projects (including Picard series) in development

Is Discovery coming to blu-ray?

It'd be crazy if this new Picard show is All Access only, too. I find it hard to believe that All Access would be more profitable than broadcast.
Old 08-05-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

It'd be crazy if this new Picard show is All Access only, too. I find it hard to believe that All Access would be more profitable than broadcast.
It's profitable for Netflix why wouldn't it be profitable for another platform?
Air it on broadcast tv you get some ad revenue, but put in on a streaming platform and the trekies have to pay $10 to watch it; more if they don't wait until all the episodes are out or forget to cancel after watching all the episodes.

Star Trek already has the built in fan base that will want to see it. New Netflix shows don't even have the built in fan base for most of their shows. If it was straight to DVD/Blu ray, people would buy it once and the price would drop months after release. The costs of producing and distibuting physical media is much higher than streaming and if people want to repeat view the show they need to keep up with the mebership. You can bet if they ever do a Star Wars TV series it will only legally be available on streaming platforms.
Old 08-05-18, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Discovery costs around $8-8.5M per episode to make. It’s one of the most expensive TV shows ever. That would be too expensive to make for network TV. CBS was able to make it because of its international streaming deal with Netflix who essentially covered most of the costs. I assume for Picard’s show they will get a similar arrangement.

And apparently some of Discovery’s second season went way over budget, that’s why CBS replaced the showrunners.

No news on Discovery hitting BD yet. I assume they will release something close to the premiere of season 2.
Old 08-05-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I just watched the Collider Videos report from Star Trek Con and they said details on this are very limited and no scripts have been written yet.
We do know this much:

1) The idea for the show came from Kirsten Beyer, who is not only a writer on Discovery (she did the episode with the crystal spire) but also writes Trek novels.

2) Another Trek novelist has said he's been told CBS doesn't plan on scrapping the novel continuity the way Disney did the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

3) If the new series is twenty years after Nemesis, it'll be set about twelve years after the most recent novels.

So it seems likely that Star Trek: Picard will use the continuity of the novels as background for what's happened in the last twenty years. What does that mean?
  • The Borg are gone for good (or at least until the ratings drop), though before that happened they launched a massive attack on the Federation that left 70 billion dead and destroyed half of Starfleet.
  • In the aftermath of the Dominion War, Nemesis, and the final Borg invasion, the Alpha Quadrant has gone through major political upheavals. The Gorn, Tholians, Breen and several other second-tier powers have combined forces into the Typhon Pact, a sort of anti-Federation. In response, the Federation and Klingons have expanded the Khitomer Accords to include the Cardassians and Ferengi, ushering in a new Cold War.
  • The Federation has reverse-engineered technology Voyager brought back from the Delta Quadrant, most notably the Slipstream Drive which allows ships to cross the galaxy in a matter of weeks. Voyager has returned to the DQ with a small fleet of ships, and Starfleet has plans for future expeditions to other parts of the galaxy.
  • Riker, after commanding the USS Titan for several years, is now an Admiral and has children with Deanna.
  • Picard and Crusher are married and have a son named Rene (who'll be in his late teens by the time the new series is set).

Most of this could be worked into a new series in a way that makes it feel like things have changed since Nemesis, but without making people who don't read the books feel like they're missing something. Introduce a new starship that has a Cardassian first officer and a Ferengi navigator, mention that it has a Slipstream Drive that can cross the Federation in minutes, and then introduce the Typhon Pact as the new villains -- boom, you have a universe that feels as new as TNG when it started.
Old 08-05-18, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
We do know this much:

1) The idea for the show came from Kirsten Beyer, who is not only a writer on Discovery (she did the episode with the crystal spire) but also writes Trek novels.

2) Another Trek novelist has said he's been told CBS doesn't plan on scrapping the novel continuity the way Disney did the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

3) If the new series is twenty years after Nemesis, it'll be set about twelve years after the most recent novels.

So it seems likely that Star Trek: Picard will use the continuity of the novels as background for what's happened in the last twenty years. What does that mean?
  • The Borg are gone for good (or at least until the ratings drop), though before that happened they launched a massive attack on the Federation that left 70 billion dead and destroyed half of Starfleet.
  • In the aftermath of the Dominion War, Nemesis, and the final Borg invasion, the Alpha Quadrant has gone through major political upheavals. The Gorn, Tholians, Breen and several other second-tier powers have combined forces into the Typhon Pact, a sort of anti-Federation. In response, the Federation and Klingons have expanded the Khitomer Accords to include the Cardassians and Ferengi, ushering in a new Cold War.
  • The Federation has reverse-engineered technology Voyager brought back from the Delta Quadrant, most notably the Slipstream Drive which allows ships to cross the galaxy in a matter of weeks. Voyager has returned to the DQ with a small fleet of ships, and Starfleet has plans for future expeditions to other parts of the galaxy.
  • Riker, after commanding the USS Titan for several years, is now an Admiral and has children with Deanna.
  • Picard and Crusher are married and have a son named Rene (who'll be in his late teens by the time the new series is set).

Most of this could be worked into a new series in a way that makes it feel like things have changed since Nemesis, but without making people who don't read the books feel like they're missing something. Introduce a new starship that has a Cardassian first officer and a Ferengi navigator, mention that it has a Slipstream Drive that can cross the Federation in minutes, and then introduce the Typhon Pact as the new villains -- boom, you have a universe that feels as new as TNG when it started.
I doubt they will makemuch, if anything from the novels cannon to the live action material. It would be too confining to stories they may want to tell at some point. The slipstream drivewould be something Starfleet may want but it would limit storytelling potential. Where's the drama in being in being able to zip all the way across the galaxy early in the morning and be home in time for dinner.
Old 08-05-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a *massive* TNG fan I was like: "Cool! Picard is coming back! Oh, wait...the people behind Discovery are behind this? I'll pass..."
Old 08-05-18, 08:39 PM

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/08/sta...n-november-13/

Star Trek Discovery coming to DVD and BD on Nov 13.
Old 08-05-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh, Nemesis. Anyone else from TNG appear at the Trek con?
Old 08-05-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was under the impression that the Star Trek novels (and comics) were never perceved as official canon. Even the old Star Wars EU only had the slimmest pretense of being canon, and Lucas and Lucasfilm didn't feel beholden to anything that happened in the books and comics.

That doesn't sound too bad, actually. Kind of iffy on Picard and Krusher being married and having a kid (sounds kind of fan-ficcy), but it isn't ne essarily out of line with Picard's character arc in the tv series and films.

After ENT and the TNG films ended, I sort of recall that the novel department sort of went Star Wars EU and made an attempt to maintain a complex continuity instead of just churning out out-of-continuity episodes.
Old 08-05-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 08-05-18, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bill Shatner tweets support for Sir Patrick

Old 08-05-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
As a *massive* TNG fan I was like: "Cool! Picard is coming back! Oh, wait...the people behind Discovery are behind this? I'll pass..."
While you have the right to feel the way you do, let's be realistic. Most of the TNG's principal creative team have long moved on to other jobs or have retired from the business:

I mean this is a show from 30 years ago. The last TNG feature film was 16 years ago. People move on.

Rick Berman, TNG's showrunner and the feature film series producer, is 73 now and long retired.

Ronald Moore now works on Outlander for Starz

Brannon Braga is a writer/producer for The Orville.

Michael Piller is unfortunately deceased.

Ira Steven Behr is between jobs right now, but he worked with Moore on Outlander

But, I would highly bet that they will hire Jonathan Frakes to direct an few episodes or maybe act in a few episodes.

The studio and network hired Alex Kurtzman to oversee this since he worked on the feature film reboot. So you're not going to get the fantasy list creative team from the past. Sorry.
Old 08-05-18, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
While you have the right to feel the way you do, let's be realistic. Most of the TNG's principal creative team have long moved on to other jobs or have retired from the business:

I mean this is a show from 30 years ago. The last TNG feature film was 16 years ago. People move on.

Rick Berman, TNG's showrunner and the feature film series producer, is 73 now and long retired.

Ronald Moore now works on Outlander for Starz

Brannon Braga is a writer/producer for The Orville.

Michael Piller is unfortunately deceased.

Ira Steven Behr is between jobs right now, but he worked with Moore on Outlander

But, I would highly bet that they will hire Jonathan Frakes to direct an few episodes or maybe act in a few episodes.

The studio and network hired Alex Kurtzman to oversee this since he worked on the feature film reboot. So you're not going to get the fantasy list creative team from the past. Sorry.
I know. TNG ended a long time ago. I'm just not in the mood to see what they do to the characters and other principals of that fictional universe. I doubt we're going to see thoughtful, quiet episodes like "The Measure of a Man" or "The Inner Light" nor any kind of exploration of space or the human condition. It's most like going to be: "SEE The Borg team up with The Dominion and the Mirror-Universe TNG characters to conquer the Alpha Quadrant and Picard must make a pact with Section 31 to stop them!" (or some such fanboy shit). The gentle humanism will be jettisoned in favor of fashionable cynicism and I'll end up grinding my teeth in rage. I'll stick with my TNG Blu rays.
Old 08-06-18, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I doubt they will makemuch, if anything from the novels cannon to the live action material. It would be too confining to stories they may want to tell at some point.
Obviously the TV shows would take precedence, and if the script writers come up with a cool idea that contradicts a novel, they'll go with the contradiction. But over the last decade studios have tried to integrate tie-in material better, and even bring elements from it into canon, like the introduction of Thrawn into Star Wars: Rebels. This has already happened a couple times on Disco -- for instance, T'kuvma talked about dead Klingons going to the Black Fleet, which is a concept from John M. Ford's The Final Reflection -- and the person responsible for those references happens to be the person who's creating the new series.

The slipstream drivewould be something Starfleet may want but it would limit storytelling potential. Where's the drama in being in being able to zip all the way across the galaxy early in the morning and be home in time for dinner.
Starships always travel at the speed of plot. If an episode requires the Enterprise be so far out in space that there isn't another ship within a week's journey, that's the way it is; but if the next episode needs the Enterprise to return to Earth in the space of a commercial break, that's what happens. The slipstream drive would just provide an excuse to do that from the Delta Quadrant.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I was under the impression that the Star Trek novels (and comics) were never perceved as official canon. Even the old Star Wars EU only had the slimmest pretense of being canon, and Lucas and Lucasfilm didn't feel beholden to anything that happened in the books and comics.
The novels have never been canon, but they've always been expected to conform to canon. Back in the early '80s, when the only new canonical material being released was an occasional movie, the authors had a lot of leeway, and they built up a loose continuity between books, but then TNG came out and Paramount made them stop and check with the TV writers about every little idea. The novels during this period were homogenized with cookie-cutter plots. But once Enterprise was canceled and Nemesis killed the TNG movies, Paramount loosened up again. The authors have had free rein to do anything short of killing a main character for almost fifteen years now. If CBS were going to do something that would negate the novelverse, you'd expect them to put the authors on a leash like last time.
Old 08-06-18, 09:38 AM

Starships always travel at the speed of plot.
Yes! Hilarious!
Old 08-06-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
I've been a huge Star Trek fan since I was 5 years old. I don't enjoy Discovery at all. I sincerely hope whoever does the new series goes back to the older format of exploring new worlds and civilizations and less focus all the soap opera elements Discovery has. Please ditch the season long story arcs.
Old 09-04-18, 10:13 AM

Old 09-05-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: More Star Trek TV projects (including Picard series) in development

Aww, I hope Frakes was taking the photo!
Old 09-05-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wondering if we’ll get a full TNG reunion episode. Obviously the crew wouldn’t be together all these years later so not sure how exactly they’d work it. Either that or maybe we’ll at least see crew members pop up individually in episodes. Can’t wait to see it!
Old 09-05-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If they do a TNG reunion, will Worf have the new DISCO Klingon look?
Old 09-13-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing official and kind of a long video but the guys from Red Letter Media made a pitch video for the Picard series. I kinda like their idea. Basically the premise would be that there's a lost Galaxy Class ship that's suddenly been rediscovered and Starfleet wants to send out a group to go investigate it. Geordi would be who they asked originally since its a ship he's familiar with and not one that's currently in commission. He'd seek out the help of Picard who's retired and kind of in a rut (he also is doing it to help Picard). Geordi would have along with him his wife and kids and there would also be a younger crew with he and Picard being the TNG carry overs. It sounds like a fairly solid idea if only it would actually happen.

Old 09-24-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 09-24-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If they do a TNG reunion, will Worf have the new DISCO Klingon look?
Data got old.
Old 09-24-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Nothing official and kind of a long video but the guys from Red Letter Media made a pitch video for the Picard series. I kinda like their idea. Basically the premise would be that there's a lost Galaxy Class ship that's suddenly been rediscovered and Starfleet wants to send out a group to go investigate it. Geordi would be who they asked originally since its a ship he's familiar with and not one that's currently in commission. He'd seek out the help of Picard who's retired and kind of in a rut (he also is doing it to help Picard). Geordi would have along with him his wife and kids and there would also be a younger crew with he and Picard being the TNG carry overs. It sounds like a fairly solid idea if only it would actually happen.

That idea has been done to death though.
Old 09-24-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
That idea has been done to death though.
True, it’s not the most original idea but I think something along those lines would work. It probably has to be a somewhat unconventional reason to have Picard still exploring the galaxy.

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Data got old.
Not to mention he’s dead.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.