Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 03-30-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,746 Posts
Re: Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

A new Star Trek series was just picked up by Paramount Plus

Noga Landau was a writer on The Magicians on SyFy and the creator of the CW series Nancy Drew. She's going to be the showrunner for this new series.

Old 03-30-23, 02:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 407 Likes on 255 Posts

I feel like I've been hearing about a project like that for the past 20 years.

give us a Captain Shaw and the Titan show ASAP!
Old 03-30-23, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

It's set in the Disco era apparently. This will give us the "rebuilding the Federation" vibe I'm sure they wanted, along with re-introducing alien races that they were separate from for so long.
Old 03-30-23, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It's set in the Disco era. This will give us the "rebuilding the Federation" vibe I'm sure they wanted, along with re-introducing alien races that they were separate from for so long.
Yeah, I've heard it's going to be set in the same future as Discovery. I don't think it's been confirmed, though.

I think that's probably a mistake. The thirty-second century that we saw in Disco isn't very interesting, and doesn't seem all that different from 23rd-24th-25th century milieu. A lot should have changed in nine hundred years; presumably the galaxy would be fully explored and colonized by that point, and they would have all kinds of crazy technology that our 21st century minds can barely conceive. But outside of "programmable matter," they're still using dilithium-powerd warp and marginally faster transporters. Using out own history, the time gap between Picard season three and Disco season three is like going from Christopher Columbus and Leonardo DaVinci to Apollo 11 and iPhones.

The following users liked this post:
tanman (04-01-23)
Old 03-31-23, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprising staff announcement, the woman who voices Mariner on Lower Decks will be in the writers room for the Academy show:

Old 04-01-23, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,043 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I've heard it's going to be set in the same future as Discovery. I don't think it's been confirmed, though.

I think that's probably a mistake. The thirty-second century that we saw in Disco isn't very interesting, and doesn't seem all that different from 23rd-24th-25th century milieu. A lot should have changed in nine hundred years; presumably the galaxy would be fully explored and colonized by that point, and they would have all kinds of crazy technology that our 21st century minds can barely conceive. But outside of "programmable matter," they're still using dilithium-powerd warp and marginally faster transporters. Using out own history, the time gap between Picard season three and Disco season three is like going from Christopher Columbus and Leonardo DaVinci to Apollo 11 and iPhones.
That sounds like the absolute worst time period to set this in. TOS/SNW era seems like the best time period. Or even right after Enterprise ends with the first few years of Starfleet Academy.
Old 04-01-23, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

Iím honestly kind of surprised itís taken this long for a Starfleet Academy show to be made. Iíve thought it would be a good idea for quite some time.
Old 04-02-23, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Iím honestly kind of surprised itís taken this long for a Starfleet Academy show to be made. Iíve thought it would be a good idea for quite some time.

Paramount has been kicking it around since the late 80s when they realized the TOS crew werenít going to live forever.
Old 04-02-23, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

Paramount has been kicking it around since the late 80s when they realized the TOS crew werenít going to live forever.
Well also it seems like something that could be done on a smaller scale and probably wouldnít need a huge budget. If a lot of the show is at the academy and thereís limited space exploration.

Actually the more I think about it I hope it doesnít turn into a Star Trek teen drama series.
Old 04-02-23, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 680 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well also it seems like something that could be done on a smaller scale and probably wouldnít need a huge budget. If a lot of the show is at the academy and thereís limited space exploration.

Actually the more I think about it I hope it doesnít turn into a Star Trek teen drama series.
Not down for DS90210? Pretty Little Ferengi?
Old 04-02-23, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 278 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah, it was planned to happen as the next movie after Star Trek V. The main reason was to save money. It would have featured young versions of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy at Starfleet Academy. I'm not sure if they wanted the original actors to appear at all.
Old 09-06-23, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,189 Posts

"Very Short Treks" are coming to startrek.com and youtube

https://www.startrek.com/videos/star...ficial-trailer

From the mind of Casper Kelly (Too Many Cooks, Star Trek: Short Treks), Star Trek: very Short Treks celebrates the bold, the silly, and the unusual across the animated universe of Star Trek. Here's everything you need to know about Star Trek: very Short Treks!

The first Star Trek: very Short Treks will launch on Star Trek Day, September 8, exclusively on StarTrek.com and the official Star Trek YouTube channel.
Bandoman (09-07-23)
Old 09-08-23, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Guess this is the first one...

Humor can be subjective, but i didn't even crack a smile until the end... seemed like a bunch of bad "dad jokes" until the end which I though was kind of amusing.
Old 09-08-23, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. Not very impressed. The first joke with MíRess was funny but to just keep on and on got old real quick.

Itís especially annoying to think they went to the trouble of recreating the look of TAS just to do dumb jokes. I would love to see more actual TAS content.
Old 09-09-23, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Okay, I actually laughed up front until the butt part. Then everything went downhill and got dumb.
Old 09-09-23, 06:24 PM

Received 845 Likes on 552 Posts

That 30-minute special on Paramount+ for Star Wars day was dumb... I ffwd'ed through most of it.
Old 09-09-23, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,746 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
That 30-minute special on Paramount+ for Star Wars day was dumb... I ffwd'ed through most of it.
They did 2+ hour live stream specials the last few years. I mean there is only so much you can say every year about Star Trek. Plus, there’s a couple of strikes. I assume the actors in the special like Jerry O’Connell were recorded months ago.

Edit: The special was lame.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-09-23 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-10-23, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,351 Likes on 767 Posts

The special wasn't special at all. It seemed more like an infomercial. I also ffwd through almost all of it.

The short trek was OK. It tried but wasn't very funny. It's like it was written by 3rd graders. Better than Discovery though.
Old 09-11-23, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the special was fine for what it was. I appreciate a tight 22 mins than a 2 hour bloated live feed.

One thing I found especially interesting is they confirmed that the Section 31 TV special and Starfleet Academy are still a go. Come on Paramount. Dump Starfleet Academy and give us Legacy.

I was also pretty pissed at Paramount for having such a focus on TAS and Star Trek animation in general after having just axed Prodigy in such an unceremoniously fashion.
Bandoman (09-12-23)
Old 09-12-23, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
I was also pretty pissed at Paramount for having such a focus on TAS and Star Trek animation in general after having just axed Prodigy in such an unceremoniously fashion.
It's the fiftieth anniversary of TAS, so they're kind of pushing that hard. And with the strikes going on, they can't do much with the actors and production is at a standstill, so that's probably why they leaned into the animation.

I still find canceling Prodigy with a nearly completed season two to be a baffling decision when it's something they could use to pad out their schedule until the strikes are resolved. True, we have DISCO season five coming up, but we won't be getting SNW season three for a while, and there will be a large hole in the Trek sched after that season ends.

Old 09-12-23, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, this is totally pie-in-the-sky, but I wonder if this would push Paramount to finally remaster DS9 and VOY in hi-def so they have something to talk about if the strike keeps going. I absolutely want the writers to be properly paid, but if this was a silver lining to the new show delays that would be something else.
Old 09-12-23, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They might eventually do some kind of HD upscale for DS9 and VOY, but I doubt they'll actually go in and do a complete remaster like they did with TNG because of all of the CGI in those two.
Old 09-12-23, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's the fiftieth anniversary of TAS, so they're kind of pushing that hard. And with the strikes going on, they can't do much with the actors and production is at a standstill, so that's probably why they leaned into the animation.

I still find canceling Prodigy with a nearly completed season two to be a baffling decision when it's something they could use to pad out their schedule until the strikes are resolved. True, we have DISCO season five coming up, but we won't be getting SNW season three for a while, and there will be a large hole in the Trek sched after that season ends.
No problem at all with them leaning in to TAS nostalgia. It's just a slap in the face after what they did to Prodigy. I mean they didn't just cancel it. They erased all trace of it. Threw it in the trash like it was nothing.

So, this is totally pie-in-the-sky, but I wonder if this would push Paramount to finally remaster DS9 and VOY in hi-def so they have something to talk about if the strike keeps going. I absolutely want the writers to be properly paid, but if this was a silver lining to the new show delays that would be something else.
Aww....yeah!! That would be awesome!

They might eventually do some kind of HD upscale for DS9 and VOY, but I doubt they'll actually go in and do a complete remaster like they did with TNG because of all of the CGI in those two.
I always get confused about this point. Wouldn't it be difficult to do an upscale of DS9 and VOY because it was shot on tape? Wasn't TNG still shot on film so they could scan the original film and get the resolution they needed. They "just" needed to redo all the SFX because that was done on tape. Either way I know it would be really expensive to upscale DS9 and VOY. Not sure about ENT. I think some of it was in HD but not sure if it was all of it and I'm guessing it was probably 720p?
Old 09-13-23, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

DS9 and VOY were shot on film the same way TNG was, but DS9 and VOY have a lot of CGI that would need to be completely re-rendered.

From what I understand, redoing TNG for HD was already an expensive process and the sales of the blu-rays didn't bring the kind of revenue Paramount was hoping for. So to go back and completely reassemble and re-edit DS9 and VOY from the film elements and re-render all of the CGI would be even more expensive for even more diminished returns.

It would probably be much less expensive to just take the existing masters and run them though an AI upscaling thingamabob and get good-enough but unspectacular results like the current Babylon 5 and Farscape HD masters and release those to blu-ray and Paramount+.
Old 09-13-23, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

eh..probably better than nothing..Hopefully they'll do something.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.