Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
re: Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Eric F

I don’t consider offering up a plan that holds you hostage to commercials the actual plan. Now they can charge you more for the “commercial free” tier to make it seem like you’re getting a bargain.
The commerical breaks are like 60 seconds. that's about a third of the time of regular TV.
Old 02-09-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

TREK News Roundup: PICARD & SECTION 31 Updates, READY ROOM on All Access, DISCO Looking Abroad Again? | TrekCore Blog

Patrick Stewart says his Picard series could run up to 3 seasons.

Also, Alex Kurtzman is hoping the Section 31 spinoff with Michelle Yeoh will air after Discovery season 3 airs.
Old 02-09-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I see a lot of people bashing Discovery but after the first 4 Episodes it has been quite excellent IMO, and Season 2 has been terrific. It is the best looking show on TV easily, and is quite engrossing. It is not perfect: the main character is sort of a bore, and the Klingons are not awesome, but all in all it is some of the best Star Trek I have seen. I welcome the Picard series though I really would like to see Star Trek the 3rd generation set 75 years or so after the Picard series. It's $5 and the commercials are like maybe 2 minutes of the entire show.
Old 02-10-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 03-02-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Star Trek is boldly going on a new mission where only men have gone before. Hanelle Culpepper will direct the first two episodes of the upcoming untitled Star Trek Jean-Luc Picard series, making her the first woman to direct a pilot or debut episode of a Starfleet series in the franchise’s 53-year history. All 13 feature films in the Trekuniverse have also been directed by men.

Culpepper has directed two episodes of Star Trek Discovery on CBS All-Access. She helmed the episode titled Vaulting Ambition in Season One as well as an upcoming episode in Season Two, now underway on the subscription streaming site.

The as-yet-untitled Star Trek series features Patrick Stewart reprising his iconic role as Jean-Luc Picard, which he played for seven seasons on Star Trek: Next Generation. The new series will follow the iconic character into the next chapter of his life and will air exclusively on CBS All Access in the United States with concurrent international distribution by CBS Studios International.
Old 03-07-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
It certainly isn't popular at the level of Star Wars, but the box office receipts for the recent movies show that there's a bigger audience for Trek than the small sliver of hardcore fans who watched Enterprise to the bitter end. The fact is, catering to the hardcores is what drove Trek off the air fifteen years ago. CBS is aiming for shows that will appeal to a much broader audience than that, and the whining from a small coterie of aging geeks isn't going to change that.
This. So much THIS. This is exactly why, speaking for myself, I am pissed at CBS for hiding Trek behind a pay wall. It's not about the money, well it is to some degree, I don't like this ala cart pay model that everyone has been begging for. But it is more about the principle of the matter that this is the time for Trek to capture a NEW audience. Trek is kind of like Harley Davidson at this point in that they have their loyal fanbase but they're getting old. And if they don't capture a new audience then Trek will eventually die off. Love 'em or hate 'em I think they've done a great job with the Abramsverse capturing that new audience. There have been people that never grew up on Trek discovering it and liking it. While I understand that CBS and Paramount are two different entities (and that's part of the problem) this isn't time to be milking the Trek faithful for every last red cent. This is the time they should have opened it up to try to capture a wider audience. I mean if they're going to change Trek anyways to GoTTrek might as well try to capture a larger audience by having it available on broadcast TV, or a subscription service with a wider base. Instead they use it like a dangling carrot to get people to sign up for their stupid streaming experiment.
Old 05-15-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Officially called "Star Trek: Picard":
https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/15/get...k-picard-show/
Old 05-15-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

First look
Old 05-15-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

star trek: Picard coming in late-2019

star trek: Picard is expected to be released late this year, it will be on cbs all access in the usa, space and crave in canada, and on amazon prime video for the rest of the world.
Old 05-15-19, 06:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I was excited about this when it was first announced but the more I think about it, it's a bad idea.
Old 05-28-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't get CBS's refusal to revisit DS9. I've heard anecdotally that it is the most popular of the Treks on Netflix, the documentary's success would seem to affirm that. It doesn't have the biggest fanbase but it has the most fanatical and devout. DS9 fans love Sisko in a way you just don't hear TOS or TNG fans talk of Kirk and Picard. Ditto Kira, Odo, Bashir and especially Garak. Obviously a complete recast is required and new characters to replace all the ones who left, but the opportunity is there.
Old 05-28-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think Deep Space Nine has the most compelling overarching story with the Dominion Wars arc, which makes it rewatchable if a person is really into it or probably pretty binge worthy for people watching it for the first time. I think that also doesn’t make it as easily accessible to some people compared with TOS or TNG which you can pretty much just pick up and watch from wherever. None of the characters to me are as interesting on DS9 compared with TOS or TNG personally. I think there’s a reason why you see the TOS cast revisited continually (for better or worse) and why this Picard series is happening.
Old 05-28-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

DS9 was the best Trek series, IMO, and with the recent documentary and the writers getting back together to map out what Season 8 could be (just for fun) shows that they could easily pick up 20 years later and do another season or three.

DS9 holds up better than ANY Trek show has after a decade or more off the air. TNG was great, but inconsistent and it has aged much more than DS9 has. TOS was great, but due to the styles and technology of the time (showing up in the costumes and sets) that show, while still great, is definitely really dated. Voyager wasn't very good, Enterprise started off poorly, and the new show doesn't look or feel like Trek.

I'm not signing up for CBS All Access for any of the projects they've got going on, but if they brought DS9 back I'd do it. In a heartbeat.
Old 05-29-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
None of the characters to me are as interesting on DS9 compared with TOS or TNG personally.
Man normally I don't get into debates of taste, but I can't let this one go. You have GOT to be kidding. DS9 had the most compelling bunch of characters of the series.

Sisko: a single father, reluctant religious figure and eventual leader of a war
Kira: A former terrorist who repeatedly had to deal with her past.
Dax: A centuries old alien who could hang with the Klingons
Odo: Conflicted over the war and separated from his people.
Bashir: Under the brash young doctor was a major secret.
Garak: Exiled from his world, a bottomless pit of secrets. Easily Trek's best anti-hero
Dukat: Star Trek's greatest villain
Quark: Mostly comic relief but occasionally fun.
Morn:

DS9 had the best bunch of characters. The problem is they were scattered to the wind at the end. That makes a reboot a challenge, but also a clean slate.

The real genius of DS9 was Ron Moore. He wrote the best episodes, including "In The Pale Moon Light." YOu can see many early ideas that would later show up in BSG.

But I am a little concerned that they are being polluted with political correctness. Ira gave an interview where he said he wished he'd made an openly gay character and that Garak was gay but closeted. In the hypothetical 8th season, they introduced a new ship called USS Emmit Till. Seriously?
Old 05-30-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Man normally I don't get into debates of taste, but I can't let this one go. You have GOT to be kidding. DS9 had the most compelling bunch of characters of the series.

Garak: Exiled from his world, a bottomless pit of secrets. Easily Trek's best anti-hero
Morn:

DS9 had the best bunch of characters. The problem is they were scattered to the wind at the end. That makes a reboot a challenge, but also a clean slate.

The real genius of DS9 was Ron Moore. He wrote the best episodes, including "In The Pale Moon Light." YOu can see many early ideas that would later show up in BSG.

But I am a little concerned that they are being polluted with political correctness. Ira gave an interview where he said he wished he'd made an openly gay character and that Garak was gay but closeted. In the hypothetical 8th season, they introduced a new ship called USS Emmit Till. Seriously?
You made a fantastic point until your last few lines. Having a gay character doesn't mean being "politically correct" it means showing real life diversity. Gay people are real, they exist. It is a travesty that Star Trek took until Discovery to show an openly gay character. ST should have been leading the charge. I work in an office with nearly 200 people and we're in the Chicago suburbs. You'd better believe there's a mix of ethnic groups here because that's how the area is. Watching some like Brooklyn 99 seems more real to me now than a show with 99% white people and a token character of color. Seeing multiple ethnicities represented no longer feels like pandering to me, it's when a show doesn't have a mix of real people that it feels fake.
Old 05-30-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It shouldn't be relevant. In this context it smacks of virtue signalling. It's one thing for Sisko to be a proud son of NOLA who loves his jamabalaya and decorates his quarters with African art. It's another thing to call attention to it. Ok, Garak was gay. So? He was one of the most fascinating characters ever and Andy Robinson did an awesome job. His preferences should mean nothing. Well, other than Ziyal was wasting her time.

Trek went through great pains to erase ethnicity and race. All of the DS9 cast dated or married outside their race except Sisko. If race doesn't matter, why should sexuality?

But really that's minor compared to the Emmit Till ship. That really left me scratching my head.
Old 05-31-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It shouldn't be relevant. In this context it smacks of virtue signalling. It's one thing for Sisko to be a proud son of NOLA who loves his jamabalaya and decorates his quarters with African art. It's another thing to call attention to it. Ok, Garak was gay. So? He was one of the most fascinating characters ever and Andy Robinson did an awesome job. His preferences should mean nothing. Well, other than Ziyal was wasting her time.

Trek went through great pains to erase ethnicity and race. All of the DS9 cast dated or married outside their race except Sisko. If race doesn't matter, why should sexuality?

But really that's minor compared to the Emmit Till ship. That really left me scratching my head.
Eh, you're wrong there (bolded part). Trek, particularly DS9, embraced the issue of race/ethnicity. A post racist society like the Federation/Starfleet isn't colorblind - it sees all the colors and embraces the differences and sees the beauty in those differences. Having LGBT characters is the same thing. It's not making a point to show them - it's making a point to say "these people exist here on Earth and they will also exist in space".
Old 06-03-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Morn:

To be fair it’s been a long time since I’ve watched DS9. Also I probably shouldn’t have said not interesting, but more like they aren’t always the most likable cast or can get a bit grating from what I remember.

I actually decided to start watching it over again. Just watched the premiere episode earlier and will probably watch a couple more later. Man one thing though, it looks pretty rough. Really too bad we probably won’t get remasters for it or Voyager.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-03-19 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-13-20, 04:53 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
Re: Future Star Trek TV projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

While speaking on THR's TV Top 5 podcast, Alex Kurtzman explained that they have a plan for the next seven years of the Star Trek franchise.

Heather Kadin and Aaron Baiers, who work with me at Secret Hideout, we literally just got off a call before this with the network mapping out with us through 2027. When I say that, it’s not like it’s set in stone, it’s just “okay here’s a plan, here’s what we’re looking, here’s how the different shows are going to drop.” Consider the that it takes a year from start of production to airing, so you have to plan way way in advance to get these things done and you have to stay on top of the zeitgeist and make sure what you’re doing is relevant.
Old 10-13-20, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Really too bad we probably won’t get remasters for it or Voyager.
We don't talk about pirated material much here, and for good reason. Still, I don't mind telling you the fan-remastered DS9 is a glorious improvement over the DVD sets.

I'm very interested in the upcoming Star Trek kid's cartoon now that I know Mulgrew's gonna be on it.

Last edited by adamblast; 10-16-20 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-04-21, 04:54 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Sorry…

Alex Kurtzman Inks Mega New Overall Deal With CBS Studios
Additionally, Kurtzman will remain at the helm of the growing Star Trek franchise for the next six years.
https://deadline.com/2021/08/alex-ku...234806977/amp/

Also (this was already known from a while back, but is making headlines recently):
Producer Alex Kurtzman has revealed he’s overseeing two more original shows set in the Star Trek universe for Paramount+: one focused on Starfleet Academy and a second based on Section 31. During an interview for The New York Times, Kurtzman spoke about the recent success of the newest Star Trek series and the future projects that will lead Star Trek to unexplored corners of the universe.

Starfleet Academy will be aimed at a younger public, although Kurtzman doesn’t reveal if this will be an animated project or a live-action one. As for Section 31, the show will reportedly star Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou, the character she played on Star Trek: Discovery. In Star Trek lore, Section 31 is a rogue organization born as part of Starfleet Intelligence, before parting ways with the United Federation of Planets. Showing up first on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Section 31 was created to explore the darker aspects of the path to creating the future utopia featured in the Star Trek universe.
https://collider.com/starfleet-acade...ount-plus/amp/
Old 09-02-21, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Anne Wesching cast as a familiar character for Picard. Click through for spoiler: https://www.darkhorizons.com/werschi...een-in-picard/
Old 09-02-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Saw that earlier. Not sure how they’re bringing the Borg Queen back. I don’t really care though as I don’t intend on torturing myself watching more of Star Trek: Picard.
Old 09-03-21, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Does the all the Kurtzman Star Trek new things even create *new* things or does all his shows mine nostalgia? Roddenberry, as much as he gets slagged off, was smart when he gave the edict for TNG that they had to create their own new species and adventures. Sure, they were allowed to have Klingons, Romulans and Vulcans, but that was pretty much it. Picard and Co didn't venture to the Mirror Universe or fight another Doomsday Machine or visit the Guardian of Forever. The Trek franchise was better off for it.

And if they're really making a Section 31 series, I can't think of a bigger middle finger to Gene Roddenberry 30 years after his death. And I can guarantee you that show will not have a scene like this in regards to Section 31:

Old 09-03-21, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm okay with TNG starting out with the "no TOS" edict, but once they were established they should have started easing it in, at least to acknowledge their history. I think some follow-ups could have been interesting, especially since they revisited The Doomsday Machine in a TNG novel.

I'd liken it to Doctor Who when it came back in 2005. They brought back some of the old baddies, but they didn't dig too deeply into his past for the first season or two. But starting with David Tennant, they started acknowledging it, even bringing back Sarah Jane, and it made the show better for accepting it's past and building upon it.

I think the next season of Picard will be better. The writers recently admitted they started filming S1 without an ending in mind, so they were making it up as they went. That's why it's frontloaded with neat concepts like his Romulan housemates.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.