Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/22/18

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/22/18

Jesus Christ that’s disappointing. I enjoyed Season 2 a lot. Maybe Netflix just wants out of the Marvel business.
Old 10-20-18, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Jesus Christ that’s disappointing. I enjoyed Season 2 a lot. Maybe Netflix just wants out of the Marvel business.
The other way I think- Marvel wants Netflix out of their business. Disney wants them all on their streaming service.
Old 10-20-18, 09:26 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Whilst i'm not a huge fan of Disney, if they hold all of the Marvel cards, they can integrate Marvel tv shows and movies properly

Would love to see the Defenders appear with the Avengers in some form

Netflix don't need the Marvel series, they are creating plenty of good original new shows
Old 10-21-18, 12:56 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Whilst i'm not a huge fan of Disney, if they hold all of the Marvel cards, they can integrate Marvel tv shows and movies properly

Would love to see the Defenders appear with the Avengers in some form

Netflix don't need the Marvel series, they are creating plenty of good original new shows
Wouldn’t be likely to happen. The people who run these TV shows aren’t Marvel Studios.
Old 10-21-18, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
The other way I think- Marvel wants Netflix out of their business. Disney wants them all on their streaming service.
That's EXACTLY what this is about.
Fnck Disney.
Old 10-21-18, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder what the contract terms are, and if Disney is actually able to hike up the price to keep these shows going. Of course, Iron Fist and Luke Cage have both been the weakest shows anyway.
Old 10-21-18, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Can't say I'm too disappointed to see these getting canceled.

I was all in after the first season of all the shows, but the defenders was a huge disappointment.

Jessica Jones is the only one I've been able to make it through its 2nd season, and even that one suffered from the same bloat and annoying side characters as the other shows.

There is some good stuff in all of them, but there is just so much to slog through to get to it.

Hopefully this is just a way to get them off netflix and they can do a better job at disney.
Old 10-21-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really enjoyed this season--thought it started slow but the second half really picked up. I actually felt the same about season 1--most people loved the first half. I thought the second half is where the story really picked up, albeit with a weaker villain.

Mariah was just ruthless. Really great and unhinged performance by Woodard. Honestly, I like all the characters, including Misty, Shades, Clare, the kid who documents Luke, etc.

Disappointed big time about the cancellation. I just don't know what has happened to these shows. They all began with so much excitement. I feel people have been way too hard on these programs. As someone who didn't like Iron Fist, and thought Defenders was just okay, and I honestly found The Punisher to be surprisingly boring at times, I still feel like people go overboard with how "bad" these shows are. It has sadly become a little en vogue to dump on these shows
Old 10-21-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I wonder what the contract terms are, and if Disney is actually able to hike up the price to keep these shows going. Of course, Iron Fist and Luke Cage have both been the weakest shows anyway.
I remember from initial stories that the deal was for 60 episodes between the initial four series and Defenders. Once that was fulfilled, I assume Disney was able to negotiate new rates.
Old 10-21-18, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I read and heard from various sources, Netflix paid ALOT to get the Marvel shows but at the time, they were looking for projects that would draw viewers and new subscriptions. I'm sure many new subscribers signed on for the service just for the Marvel shows, which are a hugely popular brand. However, since the first signing, Netflix has developed many of their own high quality and water fountain talk type shows so I'm sure when it came to the new contract talks, Disney wanted as much or even more money and Netflix just felt it's better to develop inhouse.
Old 10-22-18, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I've pretty much enjoyed all of the Netflix Marvel series more than the Arrowverse as a whole tbh. Though Arrow S1-S2 is still probably my favorite. It's unfortunate to see these canceled. Iron First I understand cause I figured a lot of people didn't give S2 a chance after the fiasco of S1, but I actually enjoyed it and was looking forward to a potential S3 especially considering where they left off. I'm going to assume these cancellations are more to do with Disney/Marvel than Netflix and maybe we'll get them over on their service or bundled together in a "Heroes for Hire" series, which I think ultimately will be better than being separate entities.
Old 10-22-18, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Meh. I thought season 1 was boring as hell, then I tried watching the first three episodes of season 2 and fell asleep one each episode. Don't really think it's a big loss.
Old 10-01-20, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I really enjoyed Season 2. (Well, I enjoyed the hell out of Season 1 as well...)

Bushmaster was a really well written villain. He saw himself as the good guy - because he was the victim as a kid. I loved the development of Misty Knight (bionic arm and all), and the crossover with Danny Rand was great! Hell, that was the best that Danny had been written and acted out of all the series up to this point. That almost seemed like the Danny Rand from the comics!

It's a shame that we never got the Power Man and Iron Fist show they teased. And they totally set up Season 3, which could have been really interesting, but Netflix wanted out of the Marvel business. Mike Colter was the perfect Luke Cage, and I hope that somehow, some way, we get him back while he's still young enough to play the part.

Marvel should do their own Power Man and Iron Fist show. With the focus on the MCU shows, though, it seems like this is a deep back burner idea.

And I'll never understand the complaints that these shows dragged or seemed bloated. It was filled with great dialogue and character development. It wasn't for the hyper ADD crowd, but that's a good thing, not a bad thing. The shows had a chance to breathe and gave the characters time to grow. I love scenes where they're just talking. I don't need action every 5 or 6 minutes - hell, I don't want that! They got these shows right when it comes to pacing.