Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Westworld (S2E08) -- "Kiksuya" -- 6/10/18

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 01:39 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Westworld (S2E08) -- "Kiksuya" -- 6/10/18

Originally Posted by Luds
95% of the episode was on a minor character's back story that doesn't advance the story arcs. Doesn't mean it's a bad episode, it isn't. It's the best of the season I'd say, still is a filler and could have been cut without missing a beat on the main storylines.
Story arcs it advances:

Maeve? Check
William? Check
Arnold? Not really
Dolores? Who the fuck cares?
Old 06-12-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

We also got more details on the maze, that other hosts in the park were starting to be aware of their past lives (and that Ford knew about it), got to see Logan, and some understanding of how Maeve is communicating with other hosts. I dug how those things were revealed in the context of the character's search.
Old 06-12-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
95% of the episode was on a minor character's back story that doesn't advance the story arcs. Doesn't mean it's a bad episode, it isn't. It's the best of the season I'd say, still is a filler and could have been cut without missing a beat on the main storylines.
Clearly he is NOT...or at least, is revealed to no longer be... a "minor character". And how can you say it doesn't advance the story arc?

Spoiler:

-He was one of the first Hosts to become aware.
-FORD didn't think he was a "minor character"
-He was given a task by FORD...that's a major thing.
-He is connected to Maeve and her mission
-He explained why he was always "after" Maeve and her daughter

and so much more.

Old 06-12-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Clearly he is NOT...or at least, is revealed to no longer be... a "minor character". And how can you say it doesn't advance the story arc?

Spoiler:

-He was one of the first Hosts to become aware.
-FORD didn't think he was a "minor character"
-He was given a task by FORD...that's a major thing.
-He is connected to Maeve and her mission
-He explained why he was always "after" Maeve and her daughter

and so much more.

AND he was a Ghost Nation killing savagely for 10 years and was never killed by a guest. So we see that they do not control everything or have everything nailed down.
Old 06-12-18, 02:58 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Thanks for the link. Several Reddit posters mentioned that video but I forgot to go look it up.
Old 06-12-18, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Story arcs it advances:

Maeve? Check
William? Check
Arnold? Not really
Dolores? Who the fuck cares?
Yes, Maeve, about 2-3 mins of the show where we get new information.
MIB reunites with daughter, thay's about 1 minute.
Overall, 95% filler
Old 06-12-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

The scene where the park techs are wearing respirators at the fringe of the park was interesting, suggesting some sort of toxic atmosphere outside of the park. It gives extra weight to the theory I had last season that the park was not located on Earth.
Old 06-12-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
The scene where the park techs are wearing respirators at the fringe of the park was interesting, suggesting some sort of toxic atmosphere outside of the park. It gives extra weight to the theory I had last season that the park was not located on Earth.
I noticed this series has the Warner Bros. logo , same studio that made the Blade Runner movies...

Okay, far fetched. But I don't think one can deny that there's been some influence from one source to the other.
Old 06-12-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Outstanding ep on all fronts.

Probably my favorite thus far.
Old 06-13-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

wait isn't that just a throw back to the inexplicable season one trend of them wearing the masks and full body suits when they were pulling bodies out of town?
Old 06-13-18, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Character driven episode=filler episode, how odd.

Fantastic episode that moved the story along nicely (yes alot happened, pay attention). I can tell people half ass watch this show while on their phones based on comments here and on buzzfeed articles for the show. If you think this episode compared in any way to the infamous Lost episode then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 06-13-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cusm
AND he was a Ghost Nation killing savagely for 10 years and was never killed by a guest. So we see that they do not control everything or have everything nailed down.
My understanding is that when a host awakens, they have the same protections in the park that humans do. I imagine he's one of Ford's higher level pieces in his game.
Old 06-13-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stingo
My understanding is that when a host awakens, they have the same protections in the park that humans do. I imagine he's one of Ford's higher level pieces in his game.
But he made a point of telling the girl he was careful to survive, even showed him shot up in a couple of scenes, so he made sure he was not killed vs safety protocol.
Old 06-13-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since the actor died, I'm wondering if he'll be replaced as a ghost too.
Old 06-13-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Since the actor died, I'm wondering if he'll be replaced as a ghost too.
Which actor has died?
Old 06-13-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Which actor has died?
I think Navinabob might be confusing "Indians."

Zahn McClarnon, who plays Akecheta, suffered a serious head injury in a fall at home during filming for season two, causing filming to be suspended
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...rld-actor.html

However, he recovered fine, and is making rounds doing interviews for this episode:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...iksuya-1118774

Meanwhile, actor Eddie Rouse played the character "Kissy," a half-Indian in the pilot episode, and is the character that William originally scalped to find the maze. Eddie Rouse died after filming of the pilot, and they decided to not recast the character.
http://westworld.wikia.com/wiki/Kissy
Old 06-13-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Westworld The Podcast

@WestworldPod
Jun 11

There are only about 6,000 fluent Lakota speakers in the entire world. It really can’t be overemphasized how amazing it was that one of the most popular shows on television broadcast most of an episode in a Native American language. #RepresentationMatters #Westworld
Old 06-13-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
But he made a point of telling the girl he was careful to survive, even showed him shot up in a couple of scenes, so he made sure he was not killed vs safety protocol.
Akecheta's timeline through this episode:
  • Beta: Lives peacefully in village, wanders across the aftermath of Arnold's attempt to shut the park down, finds the maze.
  • Park Opening: Has his personality changed, but maybe not software upgraded? Is now violent. Possibly dies several times, or not.
  • Not long after Park Opening, ~30 years ago: Starts wandering, comes across Logan Delos. Akecheta meets his former wife, Kohana. He goes back looking for Logan, but finds the Delos site William is building. Akecheta abducts Kohana and takes her to find the site, but it's been covered up. Kohana gets discovered and taken to cold storage.
  • The Long Wander: Akecheta spends many years looking for Kohana, notices other hosts going missing, and some other hosts noticing. During this period, he's careful not to die. Maeve's daughter gives him water at one point.
  • Death: He gets himself killed. While underground, techs notice his build is "Alpha 2," and "hasn't been updated in almost a decade." He finds Kohana in cold storage.
  • Afterlife: Akecheta starts spreading word of the maze among his kind, hiding the maze everywhere, even under scalps. He encounters Ford shortly before Ford is killed (Ford already putting his plan for Delores to kill him in place). Ford tells him to go to the Delos site, the same place William and Delores have been heading to all season.

Now, the use of the term "Alpha 2" for the software build, along with calling the park pre-opening a "beta" may lead one to think that he hasn't been updated since before the park opened. That would certainly explain the concern of the techs, if he was on the same build as what Delores was on when she massacred everyone.

However, the timeline isn't too clear. There is a suggestion in the episode that he may have died a few times while in his initial "loop" as a raider after the park opened. Depending on when during the 30 years he died after not dying for 10 years, he could've been updated a few times since the park opened.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...episode=s02e08
https://www.refinery29.com/2018/06/2...sode-8-summary
Old 08-22-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I finally got around to this.
Trying to get through the last three eps.

This one was a slog and a chore to get through.

Ep 9 isnt much better.
Old 08-22-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

If you didn't like this one it is unlikely you are going to be happier going forward since I thought this was actually pretty good for a season 2 episode.