Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent suicide

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent suicide

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Re: BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent sui

Originally Posted by Defiant1
From the little I know about mental illness, the victim believes they are such a burden on their loved ones that dying would ease their lives. Clearly when they are in the process of committing suicide, their minds are not in a clear enough state to think logically about the implications of a loved one finding their body.
I guess. I've dealt with depression my whole life and ending is something I've thought about a lot over the years. If my thought process was that I was a burden to my family/friends, I'd be sure to end it in a way that wouldn't effect them to the fullest. They both had to have known the impact they'd be making on the people who found them like that.
Old 06-11-18, 02:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent sui

Maybe she thought it was open and he didn't or couldn't handle sloppy seconds.
Old 06-11-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean, still doesn't really explain the deleted post she did a few hours before his death. I mean, you really can't blame any one person for a suicide anyway as it's ultimately on the person taking on their own lives that is their choice. But it did sound like there was some hostility or arguing the night leading up to it.
Old 06-11-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I guess. I've dealt with depression my whole life and ending is something I've thought about a lot over the years..
I suspect AB was bi-polar (aka manic depression).
There are pills for that and, in my experience and for the most part, they work.
But ya gotta TAKE the meds.
So many people don't or can't or forget.
Old 06-12-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Just got back into town last night from a weekend trip to Toronto. I was actually inspired to go to Toronto after seeing an episode of Bourdain's show "The Layover"

I was on a subway heading to my hotel when the CNN Breaking News alert rang on my phone that he died and was even more shocked to see it was via suicide. Even 4 days later, I still can't believe he's gone. The guy was an icon and role model to me in the travel world. I'm a big traveler. I try to go somewhere at least once per year and have been inspired many times by watching Bourdain's many shows, including Parts Unknown.

I just can't believe that he just out of the blue decided to end it all while on location for a shoot. I guess we'll never know or understand his state of mind at the time.

FYI, if any of you follow Bourdain's show on CNN, it looks like all the episodes for this season are complete. 2 more are scheduled to air: Cajun Mardi Gras and Bhutan. The episode that he was filming in France was for season 12, which would have aired in the Fall. He films his shows months in advance. So I guess that episode will probably never air and we don't know how many he completed for season 12 either.

Still stunned.
Old 06-12-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

https://decider.com/2018/06/12/antho...known-netflix/

Seasons 1-8 of his show Parts Unknown is on Netflix. They were scheduled to expire and leave this Saturday, but Netflix has extended their license for "months to come"

If you haven't kept up with his show and have an interest in what he does, it's a good watch. But, FYI not every episode is good IMO. There are some really boring ones.
Old 06-12-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

I have an old school friend in Hawaii who is a celebrity chef there named Ed Kenny. His post last week on Facebook really made me tear up. His mother was once a famous hula dancer back in the Sixties.

I gifted my mom Kitchen Confidential, she read it in a day, and was smitten with Anthony Bourdain forevermore. Her time spent with him at Town was a bright shiny moment on the bumpy road fighting cancer. Look at her smile. He had that effect on all of us. I know she’s welcoming him right now with a pack of cigarettes and a six pack.
Old 06-12-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I have looked and can not find anything, so maybe my memory is shittier than I think. But did he do a show/segment with Jim Jarmusch?
Old 06-12-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I mean, still doesn't really explain the deleted post she did a few hours before his death. I mean, you really can't blame any one person for a suicide anyway as it's ultimately on the person taking on their own lives that is their choice. But it did sound like there was some hostility or arguing the night leading up to it.
Unless I'm missing something, there was nothing in there about her being upset at him. Could have been upset at a friend, the papparazzi who took the photos of her, or anyone else including Anthony.

If your partner offs themselves hours after you post a "Fuck You" message with no context on twitter, you'd probably want to delete that regardless of whether it was about them... just to avoid it getting misconstrued.
Old 06-12-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://decider.com/2018/06/12/antho...known-netflix/

Seasons 1-8 of his show Parts Unknown is on Netflix. They were scheduled to expire and leave this Saturday, but Netflix has extended their license for "months to come"

If you haven't kept up with his show and have an interest in what he does, it's a good watch. But, FYI not every episode is good IMO. There are some really boring ones.
Watch the Thailand episode it’s the Bourdainiest.
Old 06-12-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

I just watched the "Remembering Anthony Bourdain" special that aired on CNN Sunday night.

It was okay. You could tell CNN really rushed to put this together. It lacked depth and real insight into him. All they did was show clips from the show and interview CNN on air talent about him. Probably out of all the ones they talked to, Anderson Cooper was the one who appeared to know him the best since he interviewed him multiple times. Other than that, I was like...who cares what Don Lemon, Wolf Blitzer thought about him.

I don't expect anyone who was real close to Bourdain to be talking about him on camera anytime soon.
Old 06-12-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

One of my favorite clips I'll remember from his show.
Old 06-12-18, 07:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I just can't believe that he just out of the blue decided to end it all while on location for a shoot. I guess we'll never know or understand his state of mind at the time.
I've battled depression for the better part of 20 years now. It wasn't until the past year I had come to terms and have dealt with it head on. It's not easy. Anthony sounds like he kept a lid on it most of his life. It wasn't out of the blue for him, I can say that much.

I just watched the "Remembering Anthony Bourdain" special that aired on CNN Sunday night.

It was okay. You could tell CNN really rushed to put this together. It lacked depth and real insight into him. All they did was show clips from the show and interview CNN on air talent about him. Probably out of all the ones they talked to, Anderson Cooper was the one who appeared to know him the best since he interviewed him multiple times. Other than that, I was like...who cares what Don Lemon, Wolf Blitzer thought about him.

I don't expect anyone who was real close to Bourdain to be talking about him on camera anytime soon.
It was definitely patched together on the fly. I kind of wish they did it right and maybe had as many of the CNN people get together and eat a great meal talking about him. But they need ratings, not a human touch to it.
Old 06-12-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for the insights on the CNN special. I wanted to catch it but missed it. I did see a Anderson Cooper segment, which too felt rushed and patchy so I probably didn’t miss much.

I was listening to Stern today - he had Smashing Pumpkins on - and Bourdain and Kate Spade came up in context. Interestingly to me, Stern didn’t really know of Bourdain. I was pretty shocked by that. I’d have thought they’d get along swimmingly, and have talked for hours on end. Music is (was?) big for both of them, so I’d think they’d have an easy kinship over that.

I’m still find myself dwelling on this days later as well. I feel like in this day and age of super celebrities everybody becomes a bit of the same, but Bourdain was different and unique on so many levels. I think the fact that there is no replacement for his whit, insights, and artistry is very telling.
Old 06-13-18, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Unless I'm missing something, there was nothing in there about her being upset at him. Could have been upset at a friend, the papparazzi who took the photos of her, or anyone else including Anthony.

If your partner offs themselves hours after you post a "Fuck You" message with no context on twitter, you'd probably want to delete that regardless of whether it was about them... just to avoid it getting misconstrued.
We will never know the true answer to this.
It isn't like she is a straight, stable person herself.
Old 06-13-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

New Parts Unknown last nigh (Berlin), ended with Bourdain saying this Samuel Beckett quote:
"you must go on, I can't go on, I'll go on"

Hard hitting in hindsight - I'm sure he's been forcing himself to "go on" for years.
Old 06-13-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

I saw an article in People that said those close to him saw that he was absolutely exhausted from his brutal work schedule. As mentioned, he was on the road 250 days per year and films 2 seasons of his show during that time. But, he tried to fit in 5 days per month to see his daughter.

And he wasn't even officially divorced. His "wife" is the one who has to make the final decision on his funeral plans and such.
Old 06-13-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
New Parts Unknown last nigh (Berlin), ended with Bourdain saying this Samuel Beckett quote:
"you must go on, I can't go on, I'll go on"

Hard hitting in hindsight - I'm sure he's been forcing himself to "go on" for years.
I was going to watch the episode last night but I couldn't...

I erased episodes and dropped the show from my Recording Manager.
Old 06-13-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by melasnus
I was going to watch the episode last night but I couldn't...

I erased episodes and dropped the show from my Recording Manager.
Because you think it's morbid to watch his final work when he was apparently miserable inside? There's only 2 more episodes left this season and they are likely the last ones to air. We don't know if any of the ones he shot for season 12 will air.

If you're a fan of his, I think you're paying respect to him by watching his final work. It's what he worked so hard for many years to do.
Old 06-14-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

https://people.com/food/anthony-bour...emated-france/

Bourdain was cremated. His remains will be flown back on Friday.

Now this is just speculation, but apparently Bourdain was madly in love with Asia and it worried his friends.

https://people.com/food/anthony-bour...nds-concerned/
Old 06-14-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

He may have agreed to an open relationship externally, but internally, it was probably tearing him apart.
Old 06-14-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw an article in People that said those close to him saw that he was absolutely exhausted from his brutal work schedule. As mentioned, he was on the road 250 days per year and films 2 seasons of his show during that time. But, he tried to fit in 5 days per month to see his daughter.

And he wasn't even officially divorced. His "wife" is the one who has to make the final decision on his funeral plans and such.
I noticed that within the last year or so, Anthony lost a lot of weight (and he wasn't exactly chunky to begin with) and got super tan to an unhealthy degree. Who knows what was going on there.