Reload this Page >

Sitcoms that got better by the season?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-05-18, 11:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 454 Likes on 404 Posts

These are the ones that kept getting better and/or smarter and/or dumber as the seasons grew. Mostly talking longer running shows.

I contend that: Seinfeld, Cheers and Brooklyn Nine-Nine got better and better through its runs. Especially Seinfeld and B99 might not be over yet. But two old, one new. Seinfeld built imo as the years went by. It had some hiccups, but for most part, continued to be funny.

Cheers, with all the additions after the Coach years were brilliant and that show grew, not just funny, but also bits of poignancy. B99 just funnier and funnier and more assured through years.
Old 06-06-18, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 238 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Sitcoms that got better by the season?

Seinfeld dipped a little in the last 2 seasons when Larry David left and the storylines got more and more out there. Don't get me wrong I still love those episodes but Season 4-6 was the peak.

I can't think of a single sitcom that continually got better until they went off the air. Some managed to maintain the same high level of quality that they established right until the very end. But I can't think of a sitcom that was at its best when it ended.
Old 06-06-18, 06:17 AM

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Parks and Rec
Old 06-06-18, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The usual trajectory for a great sitcom is the first 2 seasons kind of finds its footing and develops the characters. The middle seasons are usually the best as the show hits its peak between, and then usually starts to dip in the last 2-3 seasons if they hang on too long as the characters start becoming a caricature.

Cheers, All in Family, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Three's Company, Happy Days are a just a few examples who had this trajectory. I can't think of a single sitcom that didn't drop in quality in its last 2 seasons.
Old 06-06-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts

Animated shows are kind of in a different category, but the first two seasons of The Simpsons aren't really that good compared to seasons 3-9. Also I don't think the first season of American Dad is that good compared to the rest of the show.
Old 06-06-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Parks and Rec
This is a good one. First season was really rough. Then got progressively better and went out relatively on top.
Old 06-06-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Parks and Rec
Agree with this one.

Seinfeld is my all time favorite sitcom, but it didn't get continually better through to the end. As much as I like the absurdity of the latter seasons, the show was at its best before that.
Old 06-06-18, 12:37 PM

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,792 Posts

I think Sunny got progressively better as well. Started off great...had a lull on the middle...but has been pretty consistent the last few.
Old 06-06-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 144 Likes on 124 Posts

The Middle. Not every episode in some of the later seasons was a home run but talk about a show that got better as it went along. The final stretch of The Middle episodes is as good as or pretty close to some of the classic episodes from earlier seasons.
Old 06-06-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I can't think of a single sitcom that continually got better until they went off the air. Some managed to maintain the same high level of quality that they established right until the very end. But I can't think of a sitcom that was at its best when it ended.
I think Veep gets better with each season, and, given the trove of topics it currently has to draw from, I can see it concluding at its very best.
Old 06-06-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I can't think of a single sitcom that didn't drop in quality in its last 2 seasons.
Dick Van Dyke Show. First two or three episodes they were finding their footing, after that the show top notch from first season to the last.
Old 06-06-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
I think Veep gets better with each season, and, given the trove of topics it currently has to draw from, I can see it concluding at its very best.
Have to respectfully disagree. Once Iannucci left the show, it went way down hill. While it still remains a "must watch" for me, I loathed the last season. When David Mandel took over, he just seemed to want the characters to say the most extreme vile things, even if it didn't work in terms of story. Look at Peter MacNiol's character...He is way out of place in the show, and is actually just embarrassing himself...No matter what the characters said in the past, at least they seemed perfectly motivated and whatnot...The character arc that went down with Jonah was just way over the top and stupid (and he's usually been one of my favorite characters)...I guess there's only one more season so hopefully it returns to form...
Old 06-06-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I can't think of a single sitcom that didn't drop in quality in its last 2 seasons.
May be a stretch, but Frasier's final season saw a significant upgrade in quality its final season compared to the 2 or 3 that preceded it. It was right up there with the show's better seasons.
Old 06-06-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

I might catch some flack for this one, but Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place (later to just be Two Guys and a Girl). It was a show that really took time to find its feet, and always improved along the way. Unfortunately, ABC kept moving it from night to night, a lot of the retooling that had to happen, and of course the awkward original title kept it from finding the audience it deserved. A shame, as it became a very funny show by the end.
Old 06-06-18, 08:36 PM

Parks and Rec
yes.
Old 06-06-18, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I might catch some flack for this one, but Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place (later to just be Two Guys and a Girl). It was a show that really took time to find its feet, and always improved along the way. Unfortunately, ABC kept moving it from night to night, a lot of the retooling that had to happen, and of course the awkward original title kept it from finding the audience it deserved. A shame, as it became a very funny show by the end.
is this one streaming anywhere? would love to relive...
Old 06-06-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Married With Children
Old 06-06-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Married With Children
Old 06-06-18, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
is this one streaming anywhere? would love to relive...
Shout released the complete series box set, but it doesn't seem to be on their streaming service. I bought the DVDs last year when they had a 50% off sale, and even then it was a bit pricey at $39.
Old 06-07-18, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 238 Likes on 169 Posts

South Park was terrible the first couple seasons. Which is ironic because thats when it was at its absolute peak of popularity. Then once the hysteria died down it started getting really good.
Old 06-07-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Married With Children
I was thinking of that as well.

I also thought of Night Court and Newhart.
Old 06-07-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked Married with Children in the later seasons more when Al and No Ma'am had his fights with Marcy and her Women's group, it really predicted the future. Cheers was also a better show in its later seasons.
Old 06-07-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
South Park was terrible the first couple seasons. Which is ironic because thats when it was at its absolute peak of popularity. Then once the hysteria died down it started getting really good.
My two favorite characters in the earlier seasons were Stan's Uncle Jimbo and his war buddy Ned. I think they were used once or twice after the first few seasons and never heard from them again. Why? They were funny characters.
Old 06-07-18, 05:48 PM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

I think most shows peak in seasons 3-5 and decline after that.
Old 06-08-18, 11:13 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Married with children hit it's stride mid run, for me those were the best seasons (3 to 6) except for anything Seven related. Mainly because Christina Applegate had grown up enough (was too young in first few seasons) to be nice and slutty. In the last few seasons, she toned things down a lot

i think Still Standing and Rules of Engagement both got better as the seasons went on

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.