Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sitcoms that got better by the season?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sitcoms that got better by the season?

Old 06-08-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Sitcoms that got better by the season?

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Seinfeld dipped a little in the last 2 seasons when Larry David left and the storylines got more and more out there. Don't get me wrong I still love those episodes but Season 4-6 was the peak.
The view that "Seinfeld" went down in quality after Larry David left is something I completely disagree with. Yeah, there were some weak episodes during those 2 seasons but that was no different than previous seasons. Plus classic Seinfeld things like Festivus, Elaine dancing, Bizarro Jerry, Yada Yada, and almost all the best Puddy stuff happened in those final 2 seasons.

No, the time when Seinfeld went downhill wasn't when Larry David left - it happened when Larry David returned! That Finale he wrote is the single worst episode of the entire series. Bringing him back to write the Finale was the biggest mistake Jerry Seinfeld ever made during the run of the show. (Now I do like Larry David but it took him a while to get back into funny form again after that when he later created "Curb Your Enthusiasm")
Old 06-08-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 692 Likes on 567 Posts

I think Cheers got better as it went along. I liked it in the earlier seasons too but I think later on when Woody and Frasier were added to the cast the group really rounded itself out nicely. I think it was one of the more consistent shows throughout its run.

Seinfeld got better too. Iíd say it hit its stride around season three until the end. Iíve never really agreed with the consensus that it goes downhill after Larry David left either. I think there was still good stuff in those last two seasons.

Also while itís varied in quality Iíd say The Simpsons got better after the first couple seasons. Itís had slumps but overall despite what most people (who probably donít actually watch new episodes regularly) will tell you itís still overall pretty good.
Old 06-08-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Cheers was consistently solid and had the characters down from day one, but yeah Woody was awesome later on.
Old 06-08-18, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The Odd Couple