Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

Last night's episode was much better than the last two. What a train wreck of a family. Schadenfreude.

"Have a drink, have a drink, you beautiful Ichabod Crane!" - Logan to Greg

Old 09-09-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

Loved that no one could stick to their assignment simply because they just can't keep from being the a-holes they really are - not even for a few hours.
Not only do they not help out when someone is fucking up their assignment, they'll go out of their way to make it worse for them.

Shiv just comes across as unbelievably selfish and entitled.
Old 09-10-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts

Just started watching this show last week, its the only show I simply love to hate damn near everyone one. I find the parallels of this show to the Righteous Gemstones hilarious its almost the same source material and significantly different shows while being similar in lots of elitist ways I really didnt know what to make of the show based on the promos on HBO but its pretty well done and compelling. Gonna hate it when we burn through the last few episodes and need to wait a week in-between new ones...
Old 09-16-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"We're listening"

"You don't hear much about syphilis these days. It's very much the Myspace of STDs"

This is the best show currently airing.
Old 09-25-19, 10:46 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

In a hotel tonight, so watched a little of this on HBO. Seems well done.
Old 09-26-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by story
In a hotel tonight, so watched a little of this on HBO. Seems well done.
If you are starting season 1 the show becomes more and more compelling as it moves along. Its rare for me to hate everyone on a show and still find it so enjoyable but its basically boiling down to who is going to be the worst of the worst spoiled entitled asshat.
Old 09-30-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

So great seeing Logan's brother back in last night's episode. 2 awesome lines:

“The Logan Roy School of Journalism. What’s next, the Jack the Ripper Women’s Health Clinic?”

“In terms of the lives that will be lost by his whoring for the climate change deniers, there’s a very persuasive argument to be made that he’s worse than Hitler.”

Old 09-30-19, 10:22 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

L to the O-G.
Old 09-30-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a good episode. I also liked Gerry's, "Do you want another round of Boar on the Floor?"

The face on Roman when Shiv mentioned that their dad had likely screwed Gerry....
Old 09-30-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

I haven't contributed to this thread because I only just started watching the show. I'm five episodes in now and my wife really loves it. I'm enjoying it as well, though probably not as much as her. It's a cool, mean-spirited dark comedy and it's a pretty fun watch. From what I hear, it gets better from here.
Old 09-30-19, 05:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

James Cromwell’s guest spots on this show are great.

The preview for next week looked good

Spoiler:
Tom testifying in front of what looked like a house committee should be great.
Old 10-01-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another good episode.

Roman buys the wrong football club.
How rich are the kids anyway? I figured Roman specifically would only have a few mill - certainly not enough to go halfsies on a football club.
Old 10-02-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Another good episode.

Roman buys the wrong football club.
How rich are the kids anyway? I figured Roman specifically would only have a few mill - certainly not enough to go halfsies on a football club.
I don't know that it has ever been specifically stated. In S1 we have Logan trying to alter the Trust so we can assume there is a large amount of money tied up in it that would be due to each kid as a split. It's possible he would be able to borrow against it. Kendal was keeping busy with serving as venture capital after his failed no-confidence coup in S1 so they seem to have money to play with. It would seem to be hundreds of millions vs double digit millions. Not sure what a lower tier soccer club would sell for but it may not be that big of a stretch.
Old 10-03-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I don't know that it has ever been specifically stated. In S1 we have Logan trying to alter the Trust so we can assume there is a large amount of money tied up in it that would be due to each kid as a split. It's possible he would be able to borrow against it. Kendal was keeping busy with serving as venture capital after his failed no-confidence coup in S1 so they seem to have money to play with. It would seem to be hundreds of millions vs double digit millions. Not sure what a lower tier soccer club would sell for but it may not be that big of a stretch.
I was curious and googled the Scottish football league to see if the teams they were talking about were actually real (what do I know about soccer?) - and they were.
Did some more googling and apparently Hearts F.C. was purchased for £2.4m in 2014. I doubt the franchise value would skyrocket to EPL or Serie A level values, so a respectable doubling of value in 5 years would still put it at £5m... and Roman going halfsies is realistic. I assumed the club would be worth a lot more than that.

Last edited by Coral; 10-03-19 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Great episode last night. Still think this show is largely about Greg. Tom testifying was awesome. The dialogue between the witness and Shiv was extremely strong and really showed how hard it would be to not be bought out.
Old 10-08-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tom's probably the best character on the show. His fumbling about always trying to find the right words and trying to adapt to people is hilarious. This week was no exception.
He just fucked himself over in so many ways. How could he/they not be better prepared for those questions?

The show is starting to get more popular and is building a bigger following - although it's not happening as fast as it deserves to be happening.
Old 10-14-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great season finale.

Speculation/questions on possible happenings next season:

Spoiler:
Perhaps the Pierce deal isn't completely dead with the relationship between Kendall and Naomi?

Has Kendall switched sides back into the fold of Stewie and Sandy?

Possible divorce drama with Tom and Shiv.
Old 10-14-19, 01:14 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

I thought Tom manning up and telling Shiv he wants out was a great scene, but will be overshadowed by the press conference at the end.

Logan almost looked proud of Kendall in the last shot of him. Part of me wonders if that wasn’t Logan’s intent as a way out since the shareholders want his head.
Old 10-15-19, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great finale, great season and great series.

The round table discussing ideas for who should bare the burden was hilarious - especially how someone would pass the idea of who it should be, and then that suggested person would immediately thank the person who suggested him/her and then explain why they may not be a good choice.

Originally Posted by MrX
I thought Tom manning up and telling Shiv he wants out was a great scene, but will be overshadowed by the press conference at the end.
Yea, it was well done. You can just feel that Tom kept it bottled up the whole time and the release was much needed.
"He ate my fucking chicken. So what's next? Stick his cock into my potato salad?"
Logan almost looked proud of Kendall in the last shot of him.
Definitely some level of pride in that shot. Kendall was triggered when Logan told him he wasn't a killer, and Kendall showed him that he was after all. Logan can appreciate the irony.

Can't wait for next season.
Old 10-15-19, 12:23 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Great show and yes you can see the pride in Logan's eye at his boy Ken coming good.
Old 10-15-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

such a great show. Surprised more people are not tuning in but it is something of a slow burn series and full of people you love to hate... Very strong season finale bummed I have to wait a year or so for more of it. I binge watched season 1 and coincidentally started about half way thru season 2 airing so I'm spoiled in that I got so many so quickly.
Old 10-16-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Great finale, great season and great series.

The round table discussing ideas for who should bare the burden was hilarious - especially how someone would pass the idea of who it should be, and then that suggested person would immediately thank the person who suggested him/her and then explain why they may not be a good choice.

Yea, it was well done. You can just feel that Tom kept it bottled up the whole time and the release was much needed.
"He ate my fucking chicken. So what's next? Stick his cock into my potato salad?"
Those were my 2 favorite scenes. Classic Logan just sitting back and letting everyone point the finger at each other.
Old 10-24-19, 11:47 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Loved the season finale, particularly the last few minutes. I too wonder if Logan expected Kendall to do what he did. Either way it was a great moment and I laughed the whole time.
Old 11-25-19, 01:11 AM

Finally caught up. Amazing season finale. Hadn’t thought that this might have been Logan’s plan. Interesting theory. Like seeing Ken growing a backbone after spending all season broken. Love this show so much.

And “You can’t make a Tomelette without breaking a few Gregs” is my favorite email subject line ever.
Old 01-08-20, 05:40 PM

So I just rewatched the pilot (my wife wanted to show it to our daughter, home from college). In it, apparently Roman has a wife and daughter. He never refers to them as such but he's with them, calls her "sweetheart" or "honey" and asks her for the checkbook out of her bag (to write that million-dollar check for the kid playing softball). We never see or hear about them again, do we?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.