Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

^ I vaguely remember her. There was some disagreement about a movie she liked and they split up during a Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday gathering. I think it was a girlfriend, which means maybe the kid(s) wasn't his and thus no lingering entanglements from the break-up.
Old 01-08-20, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

Originally Posted by Decker
So I just rewatched the pilot (my wife wanted to show it to our daughter, home from college). In it, apparently Roman has a wife and daughter. He never refers to them as such but he's with them, calls her "sweetheart" or "honey" and asks her for the checkbook out of her bag (to write that million-dollar check for the kid playing softball). We never see or hear about them again, do we?
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
^ I vaguely remember her. There was some disagreement about a movie she liked and they split up during a Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday gathering. I think it was a girlfriend, which means maybe the kid(s) wasn't his and thus no lingering entanglements from the break-up.
I remember the girlfriend but no reference to a child.

She liked the Turkey movie that Roman had tried to get killed when he was involved with the movie studio side. He was pissed because she was watching it at Thanksgiving and saying it was good.
Old 01-08-20, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Haven’t seen this show but is it pretty good? The trailers (which precede every other HBO show) seem to be comprised solely of one liners of the characters being dicks to one another, without revealing much about the premise.
Old 01-08-20, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Okay did an internet search. Played by Molly Griggs, her name was Grace Roy, so I guess Roman was supposedly married to her. She appeared in 3 episodes. No further mention of her/their kid.
Old 01-08-20, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Haven’t seen this show but is it pretty good? The trailers (which precede every other HBO show) seem to be comprised solely of one liners of the characters being dicks to one another, without revealing much. But it’s enough to get me interested.
It's really, really good. Very sharp writing and terrific acting. Starts strong but builds throughout its first two seasons.
The entry barrier, as it were, is that almost everybody (everyone except Greg) is an asshole. Some people get turned off by a show where there's really nobody to root for. If you can roll with that, it's well worth watching.
I worship Alan Sepinwall and agree with almost everything he opines, but he HATES this show. So clearly it's not for everyone.
Old 01-08-20, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Nice. That’s definitely enough to get me to start watching, thanks. I’m a fan of Sepinwall too, but sometimes he misses the mark. And that moves beyond TV into whatever convinced him to move from the AV Club to Rolling Stone.
Old 01-08-20, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

As Decker said, some people don't like it because they find no redeemable characters. When I showed S1 to my dad last summer he didn't care for it for that reason after the first 2 eps. He ended up watching two more on his own and next thing I knew he had binged the rest of S1. He was anxiously awaiting S2 just like us.
Old 01-08-20, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven’t seen this show but is it pretty good? The trailers (which precede every other HBO show) seem to be comprised solely of one liners of the characters being dicks to one another, without revealing much about the premise.
Originally Posted by Nefarious
As Decker said, some people don't like it because they find no redeemable characters. When I showed S1 to my dad last summer he didn't care for it for that reason after the first 2 eps. He ended up watching two more on his own and next thing I knew he had binged the rest of S1. He was anxiously awaiting S2 just like us.
Similar to your dad I didn't care for the show until probably the second half of the first season. At first it came off like Occupy Wall Street fan fiction. Then I started viewing it as a straight satire/comedy not to be taken seriously and it kind of grew on me. The most memorable parts of the show are the humorous bits/lines if that tells you anything.
Old 01-09-20, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Nice. That’s definitely enough to get me to start watching, thanks. I’m a fan of Sepinwall too, but sometimes he misses the mark. And that moves beyond TV into whatever convinced him to move from the AV Club to Rolling Stone.
If you can get past the fact that they are all dicks and conniving bastards the show is absolutely riveting. Its a slow burn but its a hot and wicked burn for the whole ride more or less. Its the anti walking dead where you are hate watching to see who burns who and you end up rooting for nobody and everybody at the same time. Chiveon (sic) is the one character you can sympathize with most of the time but she is a cold hearted bitch too. Each character has a lot of development and all the kids have strong character development and you find yourself rooting for different people at different times then hating them again. The last episode in the last season was the most satisfying with the father sitting back satisfied with what his son just did and its completely twisted (can't say more without spoilers).

I may need to re-watch the show now thinking about it... also it plays very nicely with the Righteous Gemstones, we were watching both shows as they played out and its polar opposites in tone and such but similar story arcs.
Old 01-09-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

It's really, really good. Very sharp writing and terrific acting. Starts strong but builds throughout its first two seasons.
Fully agree.

In many ways this show reminds me of Mad Men. The acting is great and the dialog is fantastic and smart. It has a touch of Veep as well where all the characters are assholes and they trade funny insults.

I think it's the best show being aired now.
Old 09-06-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I started binging this and am on episode 6 of season 1. There was something about the characters and the shaky-cam and zoom-ins that seemed familiar until it dawned on me. Succession is a more cutthroat version of Arrested Development. My favorite character is Matthew McFayden. He's got some serious comedic chops. I'll be binging more of it today.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (09-07-20)
Old 09-07-20, 02:28 AM

Yeah it’s a really great show. Tom is hysterical. And I likes S2 more than S1. Too bad we won’t get a third Season for a while. I might do a rewatch in the meantime.
Old 09-07-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I kept it going and am on S2 Ep3, so I'll probably finish up today.
Old 09-07-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it’s a really great show. Tom is hysterical. And I likes S2 more than S1. Too bad we won’t get a third Season for a while. I might do a rewatch in the meantime.
Agree with this completely. I was about to drop the show a few episodes into the first season but am glad I rode it out. Being a borderline compulsive completist paid off for a change.
Old 07-06-21, 01:05 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (07-06-21)
Old 07-07-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

We just finished season 1. I thought things mostly improved, but wanted to punch people for:
  • bachelor party
  • drug news and relapse
  • Shiv’s wedding night announcement about an open marriage
  • The death via deer, and pieces in place by daddy to know about it and cover things up while canning the buyout.

Without spoilers, do things get better? Two of my friends really like the show, but if these aren’t fixed I may be out and let the wife watch solo!
Old 07-07-21, 10:21 AM

I liked Season 2 better than Season 1 - thought it was more fun and more even-handed between Logan and the kids, but the drug stuff does continue and worsen even.

I was giggling during that S3 trailer. It's been su h a long wait that I don't really remember how S2 ended.
Old 07-07-21, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't wait. God I fucking love this show.

Originally Posted by Superman07
Without spoilers, do things get better? Two of my friends really like the show, but if these aren’t fixed I may be out and let the wife watch solo!
I found the first half of S1 good, if a little slow... and the second half of S1 got better.
S2 was elevated to another level IMO.
Old 08-23-21, 10:27 AM

Old 09-01-21, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

We finished season 2. I think it was better than season 1, but still had LOADS of issues. I won’t go into them all, but I feel like inconsistency in Kendal’s drugs was the most annoying. I was also baffled how the hole Turkey incident was going on during the testimony, but nobody was alerted. They were in Congress with all the media there and nobody knew a peep?!

I do feel like Turkey changed Roman, which was great. And Tom finally grew a pair with Shiv. He’s still worthless for all the other stuff, but at least that showed some growth. Hopefully there’s more of that in season 3.
Old 09-13-21, 12:06 PM

Old 09-13-21, 12:54 PM

Nice!
Old 09-13-21, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if that line indicates the which side everyone is on - and not just Logan and Kendall.
Old 09-17-21, 01:43 PM

Old 09-17-21, 01:58 PM

Wow, that looks so good. Very interested in a Connor power-play.

More Tom & Greg! "cyanide capsules"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.