Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

Old 06-08-23, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

If you don稚 like it after a few I壇 give up.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (06-08-23)
Old 06-08-23, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Succession (HBO) -- Series Thread -- S: Cox, EP: McKay, Ferrell, C: Armstrong

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I've watched the first two episodes of season 1, and so far I hate this show. It's slow and boring, and I do not like any of the characters (although Kieran Culkin is funny, that wasn't enough for me to enjoy it). Is this how the whole series goes? Or does it pick up? Trying to decide whether to stick with it.

I think you just summarized the whole series. I really disliked if, but watched it all since the wife liked it.
Bandoman (06-08-23)
Old 06-08-23, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 140 Posts

I felt the same way during the first season. Then I stopped looking for there to be anything particularly "smart" or substantive in it and instead as more farce...a Three's Company with unlimited cursing.
Bandoman (06-08-23)
Old 06-08-23, 11:51 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 591 Likes on 338 Posts

Ok, I appreciate the responses, I think I'll skip it.
Old 06-08-23, 12:10 PM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I've watched the first two episodes of season 1, and so far I hate this show. It's slow and boring, and I do not like any of the characters (although Kieran Culkin is funny, that wasn't enough for me to enjoy it). Is this how the whole series goes? Or does it pick up? Trying to decide whether to stick with it.
I didn't like the show at first either. I bailed during the first season as it aired. During the pandemic I was watching a shit load of TV and picked it back up again after Season 2 had aired and garnered a lot of acclaim. It improves in the second season and in the end the show is definitely worth watching for the last season.
Old 06-08-23, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 877 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I didn't like the show at first either. I bailed during the first season as it aired. During the pandemic I was watching a shit load of TV and picked it back up again after Season 2 had aired and garnered a lot of acclaim. It improves in the second season and in the end the show is definitely worth watching for the last season.
Agreed about S2. I liked S1 and thought it was worth it to continue watching. And then S2 made me love the show.
Old 06-08-23, 12:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 274 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yeah, the first season is the worst of the 4 and it I really wasn't hooked until the second season.
Old 07-04-23, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,413 Likes on 4,386 Posts

Animated Logan Roy backstory! Produced for the show but never aired.

Old 01-17-24, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I just started binging (binge-ing? I hate the spelling of that word ) this last night. I finished 5 episodes and hopped in here to see what people thought about it back in 2018. Kind of funny seeing the bad reactions considering all the accolades the show has gotten for the rest of its run! I agree Greg was pretty annoying and borderline unbelievable the first couple episodes, but has gotten better. Other than that I'm loving it. I'll return when I finish the series
Old 01-24-24, 07:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts

I just started my Succession journey and though I知 liking it and most of the characters are killing it, this one Greg character makes me want to punch through the screen and hit him square in his face. Omg. The other characters are bordering on brilliant thus far, but this cousin Greg character is killing it for me. I should say I知 5 eps in, but I hope he buys it somehow, and quickly.
Old 01-24-24, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I just started my Succession journey and though I知 liking it and most of the characters are killing it, this one Greg character makes me want to punch through the screen and hit him square in his face. Omg. The other characters are bordering on brilliant thus far, but this cousin Greg character is killing it for me. I should say I知 5 eps in, but I hope he buys it somehow, and quickly.
You can't make a Tomelette without breaking some Greggs
Draven (01-24-24)
Old 01-24-24, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Throughout the series, I think I laughed out loud at things that Greg said, did and had done to him more than any other character.
Old 01-25-24, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 723 Posts

Greg starts off annoying for sure but ends up being the only thing keeping the show from being 100% depressing. His innocent antics are a pallet cleanser.
Old 01-25-24, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts

Well if it's any consolation, not only is Greg unikable but so is every other character - all equal assholes.
Old 01-25-24, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 400 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Greg starts annoying for sure but ends up being the only thing keeping the show from being 100% depressing. His innocent antics are a pallet cleanser.
I feel Greg was pretty complicit in bad behavior by the end too. They are all narcissistic asshats by the end of the series. Sad it won't be back.
Old 02-23-24, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, Greg definitely turns it around and becomes a favorite by the end, lol! God I loved this show. I just wish it didn't end after only 4 seasons. I felt like they could have gone in many more directions and told more story. I get that the creator said it's more of a tragedy though. So given that statement I guess it ended where it should have. Shiv really stuck it to Kendall, and now she's stuck in a loveless marriage with a kid on the way, but she's still "in" the company. I guess she's playing the long game now for the sake of her child. They'll all be fine in the end though, because worst case scenario they're all still billionaires.
Old 02-23-24, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

Feel like this series take on Shakespeare's King Lear, the father and his three children trying to be who will take over his empire after he step out.
Old 02-27-24, 03:11 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Great acting all around but a giant Meh for the story. It really felt like the writers couldn't come up with something good enough for the ending so they just went with the expected route. IMO ending with with Kendell running both companies and showing him (maybe after a time jump) looking like his father would have been better.
Finally caught up with this finale and kind of agree with you! I get it that they are all broken horrible people and there is no hero to root for but from a business standpoint, Kendall was really the only choice. He had put the most time in on actually working at the company and probably understood it the best. His brother might have been in the office more but clearly had no head for business and wasn't even trying. Shiv had no right to say he would have been bad. She would have been worse having no experience running a company at all!

Personally I would have chopped off the last 20 minutes of the final episodes and ended it with the kids all leaving Barbados as a united front and not show us anything of what happened next. It would have been more satisfying to see some growth in these people over the past 4 seasons so show us that yeah, they all secretly hate each other and plot against each other over the company because their father raised them pitting them against each other but once he is gone they can come together and support each other. I hated seeing Kendall bring up the death of the kid and lie about it which wasn't even necessary because it wasn't his fault anyway. And then Roman bringing up Kendall's kids and the bloodline all just seemed badly done and out of character.

All of that being said, that funeral is one of the most memorable I've ever seen portrayed. Loved the journey of this show but hated the destination. Sorry Succession writers, you didn't stick the landing.