Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 13 Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-29-18, 06:55 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

After enjoying its most-watched season ever, "America's Got Talent" returns for season 13 following a thrilling 12th season in which 12-year-old singing ventriloquist Darci Lynne Farmer from Oklahoma City, Okla., took home the grand prize. Judge Simon Cowell, Mel B, Heidi Klum and Howie Mandel, as well as host Tyra Banks, will all be back. Last summer "America's Got Talent" averaged a 3.5 rating in adults 18-49 and 16 million viewers overall in "live plus seven day" averages for original Tuesday telecasts, according to Nielsen Media Research. That made it "Talent's" most-watched season ever in its 12th year.

In the season premiere, variety acts of all types and contestants of all ages audition for the chance to win the $1 million prize. The Golden Buzzer is back giving five lucky acts the chance to go directly to the live shows at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles to compete for America's vote. TV-PG D, L
Old 05-29-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 13 Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

Looking forward to everything but Tyra. She should have been replaced already.
Old 05-29-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

They need to get Nick back.
Old 05-29-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Agree. Nick's not my favorite, but Tyra is awful.
Old 05-29-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Unfortunately it ain't gonna happen. Nick Cannon on quitting AGT, "One of the best decisions I ever made in my career." He was reportedly making $4.5m a year.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...051757372.html

Best we can hope for is someone new that's markedly better than Tyra.
Old 05-29-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand why Heidi Klum is on the show either. She is a vapid and humorless presence that adds nothing. Mel B is an incessant bleeding heart devoid of any critical evaluation or meaningful commentary, but at least she seems to be aware of her surroundings and displays some energy as opposed to the empty chair that is Heidi.
Old 05-29-18, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spooky girl "The Sacred Riana" that was on tonight was on the second season of Asia's Got Talent last year and actually won the entire show. She does some cool things.
Old 05-30-18, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Shouldn't all the acts actually be from America? Or at least not recycled from other countries' versions of the show?
Old 05-30-18, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
Shouldn't all the acts actually be from America? Or at least not recycled from other countries' versions of the show?
You'd think, but none of the four judges are actual Americans...

I also think they have non-domestic acts on the other _______'s Got Talent shows.
Old 05-30-18, 03:51 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Seriously... how have they not giving hosting duties over to Chris Hardwick? He'd be a perfect host!!!
Old 05-30-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damnit! My TiVo didn't pick this up.
Old 05-30-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It repeats tomorrow (Thursday).

I'm already sick of the sob stories especially the "dead parent" ones already. Really, I could do without any of the backstories. Of course I know that's not how this show works.
Old 05-30-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm already sick of the sob stories especially the "dead parent" ones already. Really, I could do without any of the backstories. Of course I know that's not how this show works.
I thought maybe it was just me, but they really do seem to have doubled-down on the maudlin docudrama aspect of the show. Just as bad are the completely phony and cringe-inducing "fly-on-the-wall" conversations between the performers backstage.
Old 05-31-18, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Keith6601
The spooky girl "The Sacred Riana" that was on tonight was on the second season of Asia's Got Talent last year and actually won the entire show. She does some cool things.
Yeah, I really liked her. A very different set-up for a magician, where normally they're flashy, chatty, and ostentatious, and she's playing it creepy and quiet. I think it would be a blast to watch her perform a show in an old dark theater.

Unfortunately, I think she might struggle on America's Got Talent because she doesn't have a sob story, and the audience seems to react negatively to performers who don't break character. (See Puddles Pity Party last year.)

BTW, here are her performances on Asia's Got Talent.

Old 05-31-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

David Foster's a judge on Asia's Got Talent? And the show is in English?
Old 05-31-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

David Foster's a judge on Asia's Got Talent? And the show is in English?
Considering its Asia’s Got Talent, the producers more than likely chose English as the primary language as it is considered a universal language. It makes easier than hiring a lot of translators. The Amazing Race Asia also uses English as the primary language.
Old 06-02-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not a bad start. Seems like they kept the dumb shit to a minimum. No real stand-out in this episode though.

Lots of sob stories to kick it off though between We Three, Flau'jae(the 14 year old rapper), and the dance groups from Sau Paulo and Phillippines. That being said, the performances were pretty good.

Shin Lim's card magic was very good (he was on Penn & Teller as well). The closest to a stand out for me was We Three. They were talented and the song was just beautiful. Writing the song from the dying mother's perspective was inspired. However, they remind me of Jimmy Rose and Johnny Shelton:
Spoiler:

Once you lay your heart out there with such beautiful and raw emotion, it's all downhill from there.

So top 3 for me for Episode 1:

1. We Three
2. Shin Lim
3. Flau'jae

I liked the Scared Riana, but like Josh said, I don't think America is ready for an act like that to go very far.
Old 06-08-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Second episode/round of auditions we're pretty lackluster. The only stand outside we're two singers; Christina that had the excellent soul sound and the golden buzzer guy with the six kids.

BTW, having the golden buzzer be the last act every episode is kinda dumb and annoying. It's also becoming anti-climactic because it's so predictable. They really need to shake that up a bit and mix it in the episodes. The way the episodes are cut it means it wouldn't matter. It's not like the judges & crowd would be waiting on a cleanup crew.
Old 06-11-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not a bad start. Seems like they kept the dumb shit to a minimum. No real stand-out in this episode though.

Lots of sob stories to kick it off though between We Three, Flau'jae(the 14 year old rapper), and the dance groups from Sau Paulo and Phillippines. That being said, the performances were pretty good.

Shin Lim's card magic was very good (he was on Penn & Teller as well). The closest to a stand out for me was We Three. They were talented and the song was just beautiful. Writing the song from the dying mother's perspective was inspired. However, they remind me of Jimmy Rose and Johnny Shelton:
Spoiler:

Once you lay your heart out there with such beautiful and raw emotion, it's all downhill from there.

So top 3 for me for Episode 1:

1. We Three
2. Shin Lim
3. Flau'jae

I liked the Scared Riana, but like Josh said, I don't think America is ready for an act like that to go very far.

Shin Lim blew me away. I love his smoke effects. The act just had so many wow moments and surprises. He has a great look and personality too.
Old 07-11-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4 hours of AGT seems like a lot for a single week. I assume they're just making up for last week when they showed a repeat due to the holiday.

I'm starting to think that all the times that Simon will stop a singer and tell them to sing a different song are set up in advance where they tell the person to sing something not so good and then they give them they chance to sing what they really intended to.

Also, it seems like a lot of these acts that get approved will never actually show up on the show again. At least, I remember that happening with some acts in previous seasons like Rachel Butera.

It looks like Chris Hardwick is supposed to be one of the upcoming guest judges. It'll be interesting to see how NBC handles this. I think they'll probably air it.
Old 07-11-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

4 hours of AGT seems like a lot for a single week. I assume they're just making up for last week when they showed a repeat due to the holiday.
The episode tonight is a "best of" the season so far. Easy skip for me.

Next week they start cutting and things will get more interesting.
Old 07-11-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Haven't watched this week's episode but kind of a boring season. No real stand outs for us. At least that cuts down on Howie's "greatest season evar!11011!! OMG!" nonsense.

They are also getting flack online for all the singing acts going through/getting the golden buzzer.
Old 07-11-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
The episode tonight is a "best of" the season so far. Easy skip for me.
Ah, ok. It still guess flagged as a new episode so DVRs pick it up. They'll probably have some new "never seen before" footage mixed in. I usually skip through those quickly on the DVR.
Old 07-11-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

It looks like Chris Hardwick is supposed to be one of the upcoming guest judges. It'll be interesting to see how NBC handles this. I think they'll probably air it.
They may air it, but you might not see Hardwick. I've seen two episodes of Comps with "erased celebs" as judges, -"Top Chef" and "Iron Chef Gauntlet", -and with tight framing and what seemed like alternate takes and angles, you only got a glimpse of someone in the background and any points or judging they provided were also erased (re-filmed to eliminate them, I suppose).
Old 07-11-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It might be hard to erase him. Last year each of the guest judges got a golden buzzer pick. Assuming they do that again, how do you edit around the act that he gives the golden buzzer to?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.