Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 13 Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

They just skip it. No gold buzzer.
Old 07-18-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

First Judge Cuts are over.

Agree with:

1. Aaron Crow - cool archery trick. I'm not convinced the ring wasn't slight of hand and on the arrow when he shot it, but even without the ring part, it was a cool ass stunt. Ken's reaction on stage immediately following the shot was priceless.

2. Mochi - The round visuals to match the twirling was visually pleasing. Parts were almost too distracting to the point you lose the diavolo, but still very cool.

3. Duo Transcend - acrobatic acts aren't usually my thing but these two are fantastic. The fall was intense and I'm glad they didn't penalize them for it. Up until that final stunt, they were amazing.

4. Voices of Hope - just beautiful and worthy of Ken's buzzer. They make a great song feel even fuller and richer which is quite a feat. The little boy crying as they were singing was touching.

5. Christina - Very good, but she's at the bottom of my list. I also can't help but roll my eyes at her 'sob story.' Someone called me fat so I quit singing. Really? So embrace it and use it for motivation or lose the weight. Fat or skinny, I don't care, if you're talented, just sing.

Now the last two, Us the Duo and Junior New Sysytem I'd drop in a heartbeat for Patches and Daniel. The duo singers are adorable but musically kind of forgettable, and take away the heels and JNS is a very average dance group. The first two thirds of the routine were not great until they put the heels on.

My two alternates (Patches and Daniel): I'm not into rap, but Patches was something relatively fresh and super entertaining. And this kid wrote a song between rounds! That's just awesome. Opera is played out on this show to the point you think "who the hell can't sing opera?" but Daniel was amazing. I mean the dude learned a song in a foreign language in an hour. Yes, that was the audition, but that alone is worth another round for me. Honestly, I'd take both of these over Christina as well.

I think the problem they are running into is too many singers which will generate a bunch of backlash.
Old 07-19-18, 05:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
First Judge Cuts are over.

Agree with:

5. Christina - Very good, but she's at the bottom of my list. I also can't help but roll my eyes at her 'sob story.' Someone called me fat so I quit singing. Really? So embrace it and use it for motivation or lose the weight. Fat or skinny, I don't care, if you're talented, just sing.

Opera is played out on this show to the point you think "who the hell can't sing opera?" but Daniel was amazing. I mean the dude learned a song in a foreign language in an hour. Yes, that was the audition, but that alone is worth another round for me. Honestly, I'd take both of these over Christina as well.
Agreed... I would have cut her. She butchered that song from the Greatest Showman, and she only made it because of her sob story. Well, she's fat, so let her in. Give me a break.

As for Daniel, he may have a good voice... but if you understand Italian, you'd notice he got the lyrics wrong in that last song. As for the first audition, he did a great job with 'learning' that song, but that 'original' song he made up at the beginning, he was literally repeating the phrase "hold me, squeeze me, kiss me, hold me, squeeze me, kiss me, etc...." over and over again.
No thanks, the guy just screams cheese to me.
Old 07-19-18, 09:45 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyx
As for Daniel, he may have a good voice... but if you understand Italian, you'd notice he got the lyrics wrong in that last song. As for the first audition, he did a great job with 'learning' that song, but that 'original' song he made up at the beginning, he was literally repeating the phrase "hold me, squeeze me, kiss me, hold me, squeeze me, kiss me, etc...." over and over again.
That's my problem with opera on the show... I can't honestly tell good from bad and I'm willing to bet the majority of the people watching can't either. It all sounds 'impressive' in the sense of "Well, *I* couldn't do that!" It's like how Olive Garden seems like fancy dining if you've only ever had fast food.
Old 07-19-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Did this fellow remind anyone else of Steven Wright? The monotone delivery of observational one-liners was Wright's thing thirty-five years ago.

Dunno whatever happened to Wright. Like his stuff when I eas a kid in the 80s, but haven't heard or thought about him until now.
Old 07-19-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The premise that a singer should go far or win on this show is lost on me. While singing is certainly a talent, karaoke isn't impressive --- at a minimum, have an original song. I think the singers should stick with the half-dozen singing shows that are, you know, focused on singing.
I want to see a cool act or a crazy athletic feat over any group/person that has an amazing voice.
Old 07-19-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It's crazy they still make a big deal about the winner getting $1 million, but they never mention that it's over the course of 40 years which gives them $25K a year. They can take a lump sum but it's gotta be well under $500K. It would be pretty much pointless for a lot of these acts that have many members. I guess they could just put it all back into their act though.
Old 07-19-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Yep, that choir group with like a hundred members would receive about $2000 each (lump sum) for winning $1,000,000. Or they could each collect $250/year for 40 years.

That 12 year-old who won a year or two ago will be an AARP member before she gets the last of her winnings (unless she took the lump sum).
Old 07-19-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's bullshit that they pay out the million in 40 year annuity...

That's pocket change compared to what the fucking judges take home.
Old 07-19-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kennyx
. As for the first audition, he did a great job with 'learning' that song, but that 'original' song he made up at the beginning, he was literally repeating the phrase "hold me, squeeze me, kiss me, hold me, squeeze me, kiss me, etc...." over and over again.
That is funny. Makes sense why Simon stopped the audition. He probably knew. I'd still take him over Christina. I enjoy the drama on the show but she just screams manufactured drama.

Originally Posted by Rob V
The premise that a singer should go far or win on this show is lost on me. While singing is certainly a talent, karaoke isn't impressive --- at a minimum, have an original song. I think the singers should stick with the half-dozen singing shows that are, you know, focused on singing.
I want to see a cool act or a crazy athletic feat over any group/person that has an amazing voice.
I don't mind because it offers a venue to a wide variety of acts that wouldn't get on any of the other shows. The other shows have pop and country covered. Everything else is fair game here. Also, it seems this is the only way for kids to perform.
Old 07-31-18, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Judge Cuts 2 were good. I have no real complaints about the final 7. I usually tune out during dance troupes and choirs but the 150 person choir is amazing. The kids choir that did Moana were also awesome.

I guess my only disappointment stems from jump rope girl spraining both ankles. I think she probably would have stolen Hans' spot if she was healthy. He definitely has a Vegas quality about him but he feels like a joke act that accidentally made it one round too far.

Also, if you have a smart TV this is stunning in 4k:
Old 07-31-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like they're showing next week's Chris Hardwick episode without any changes, at least based on the preview.
Old 08-01-18, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Looks like they're showing next week's Chris Hardwick episode without any changes, at least based on the preview.
NBC just confirmed that Chris will be returning as host of "The Wall".
Old 08-08-18, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

If they ever had a magician that had any real talent on this their heads would explode.

That guy from last night is as hacky a magic act as it gets.

Also would be great if they dumped Klumm and Scary Spice.
They are more annoying every week.
Old 08-08-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

Oh and six spots and they put those fat guys who make sounds with their fat through to the next round.
Old 08-08-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You say you want them to get rid of Mel B but at least she was the only one to not like the fat sound makers.
Old 08-09-18, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
Oh and six spots and they put those fat guys who make sounds with their fat through to the next round.
Ridiculous that these guys were kept; especially over the acrobatic team of the girl and her dad.

The selection of these guys is almost as bad as keeping the high school dance team from last week.
Old 08-09-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
Also would be great if they dumped Klumm and Scary Spice.
They are more annoying every week.
Klum comes off dumb but in a she can’t really help it way. Scary Spice is an insufferable phony who adds nothing of value to the show.
Old 08-09-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree with both assessments. I can't stand either of them... I love Howie and Simon has been extremely objective. As much as I like to look at the lady hosts, they add nothing of substance.
Old 08-09-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked the spider guy, though I don't think he could win the whole thing.

The dance team that went through was okay, but nothing special.

Wasn't Academy of Villains already on a couple of years ago?
Old 08-09-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wasn't Academy of Villains already on a couple of years ago?
I thought they rang a bell but the wife pooh-poohed me. Since you seconded it I looked it up and they were semi-finalists in season 7 (2012).
Old 08-09-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Didn't take any issues with Judge Cuts 3, but JC4? Man, I'm with you guys on the fat guys. What the hell? They are a fun early round act but this far? Come on. They're sending legitimate acts home to keep them?

I also liked "spider guy." Thought he'd make it one more round. I also would have taken the father/daughter balance act over the escape artist. They have charisma and charm. Escape artist dude is just boring.

I also think they're waaaay overselling the 14 year old rapper. The first audition was good, but this one was average at best. Oh well.

I must have missed an episode along the way. I didn't recognize a lot of these acts. I loved the comedian at the end, so I was glad he got through.
Old 08-09-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't remember the guy with the inflatable zebra (or zebb-ra as Simon said). Did he actually appear on a previous episode?
Old 08-09-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That was one we didn't recognize either.
Old 08-10-18, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that, every season, a few acts show up on the Judge's Cuts that weren't shown during the Auditions.

I agree about the father-daughter team over the alligator guy. His act was a pretty standard escape artist thing that's been done for decades. It also looked fake as hell since the last burning rope never snapped. Even after he had been down for a few seconds the stage hands removed it before it broke. I'm guessing there was a steel cable or something in there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.