Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 5 Discussion Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 5 Discussion Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 5 Discussion Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

Two episodes in with this second part, and I simply can't find a reason to continue
None of the storylines are exciting and I'm not laughing.
Maybe one day. But for now I'll just fondly remember and rewatch s1-3.
Old 04-08-19, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 5 Discussion Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

Has anyone else watched the 2nd half yet? Talk about your lack of buzz...
Old 04-08-19, 05:10 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I watched it the weekend it was released. Not really much to say.
Old 04-09-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Has anyone else watched the 2nd half yet? Talk about your lack of buzz...
I haven't finished the last new batch of episodes (the first half of Season 5). I think Season 4 was such a letdown I've never been able to get back into the show/just don't care any more.
Old 10-02-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I hesitated to watch seasons 4 and 5 after hearing how bad it was. When season 4 came out I saw some clips that showed Michael losing everything, and moving in his son's dorm room and even showering with him. That shit just seemed very uncharacteristic of Michael. The rest of his family was weird but he was supposed to be the normal one. Then the trio from Workaholics made a very unsubtle guest appearance in the airport and it just felt really out of place. Wasn't going to tarnish the memory of the original series by continuing to watch.

Well, I got bored and binged watch most of 4 and 5. It wasn't bad! There wasn't any laugh-out-loud moments like the original. I thought the writing was still clever for the most part and I loved seeing these characters on-screen again.

My Complaints
-Michael being weird and out-of-touch. He's supposed to be the smart, decent one and now suddenly he's almost as stupid as the rest of the family and doing weird shit.
-Why was Kristin Wiig and Seth Rogen playing Lucille and George Bluth Sr? Usually they just put some era-appropriate clothing on Jessica Walter and a big toupee on Jeffery Tambor. That always made the scenes from the Bluth kids' childhoods seem more realistic. Seth Rogen is a horrible George Bluth Sr.
-Will Arnett's voice got even deeper and it looks like he's juicing. He wasn't really funny or interesting anymore.
-The Remix season was a little confusing at times the way scenes felt out-of-order.
-The Jade Dragon Triad stuff wasn't really funny. "Roophole"?
-The dubbing was very noticeable at times and at first I thought it was a purposeful gag but it wasn't clever or funny so...am I missing something?
-Michael and George-Michael not being seen in the final parts of the last episode felt wrong. Turns out they weren't available for shooting.

What I liked
The series felt less like a comedy and more like an a drama in the vein of Dynasty/Dallas, just in a surreal, absurd style. I was actually more interested in the soap opera-like bits such as the FakeBlock software, the disappearance of Tony Wonder and Lucille 2, the foreign/political business dealings, and the revelations about the Bluth family's scandalous past.

-I wasn't laughing too much but there were funny bits like Maeby and George-Michael's scenes. Maeby in the senior citizen home and her possible split personality was entertaining. Michael and George-Michael doing some Matrix combat out of instinct was actually funny. "Fortunately I've been training but has he been also?"

-Judy Greer was looking good as Kitty in Season 5 so the running joke about how gross she is didn't make sense this time 'round.

-George-Michael and P. Hound seemingly depressed at the wood block apps already on the market then laughing at how basic they thought they were were was funny.

-Lucille Bluth was always an integral part of the ensemble and a great character. I just never liked her. In Season 5 and she was actually a bit sympathetic and for some reason her acting seemed even better than before. Jessica Walter was a real stand out for me this time.

-The reveal about the Bluth kids' childhood scenes turning out to be a rough, television reenactment was a nice twist.

It's too bad that we won't be getting a season 6. I actually want to know who really killed Lucille Austero. I think the way all the different plots threads ended up intersecting was really good and kept me guessing most of the time.

Last edited by brayzie; 10-02-19 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

This thread getting bumped reminds me I only watched maybe one episode of the second half of season 5. I guess that sums up my feelings about season 5 pretty well.