Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E14) -- Season Finale -- "It Is Game Time Kids" -- 5/23/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E14) -- Season Finale -- "It Is Game Time Kids" -- 5/23/18

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

AFTER 39 DAYS, ONE CASTAWAY WILL TAKE HOME THE $1 MILLION DOLLAR PRIZE AND EARN THE TITLE OF SOLE SURVIVOR, ON THE TWO-HOUR SEASON FINALE, FOLLOWED BY THE ONE-HOUR LIVE REUNION SHOW, OF "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, MAY 23

"It Is Game Time Kids" - Castaways try to navigate their way to immunity when facing the biggest maze in the history for the game. Also, a fire-making challenge could change one person's fate in the game, and, after 39 days, one castaway will take home the $1 million dollar prize and title of sole Survivor, on the two-hour season finale, followed by the one-hour live reunion show hosted by Emmy Award winner Jeff Probst, of SURVIVOR, Wednesday, May 23 (8:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Original "NAVITI" TRIBE (Purple)
Angela Perkins, Army Veteran

Chelsea Townsend, EMT (13th Eliminated, 6th Jury Member)
Desiree Afuye, Student (10th Eliminated, 3rd Jury Member)
Kellyn Bechtold, Career Counselor (14th Eliminated, 7th Member)
Morgan Ricke, Marine Animal Trainer (3rd Eliminated)
Bradley Kleihege, Law Student (7th Eliminated)
Chris Noble, Male Model (8th Eliminated, 1st Jury Member)
Domenick Abbate, Construction Supervisor

Sebastian Noel, Fishing Guide

Wendell Holland, Furniture Designer

Original "MALOLO" TRIBE (Orange)
Jenna Bowman, Account Executive (11th Eliminated, 4th Jury Member)
Laurel Johnson, Financial Consultant

Libby Vincek, Social Media Strategist (9th Eliminated, 2nd Jury Member)
Stephanie Gonzalez, Graphic Sales (1st Eliminated)
Stephanie Johnson, Yoga Instructor (5th Eliminated)
Brendan Shapiro, Physical Education Teacher (4th Eliminated)
Donathan Hurley, Caretaker

Jacob Derwin, Music Teacher (2nd Eliminated)
James Lim, Business Analyst (6th Eliminated)
Michael Yerger, Real Estate Agent (12th Eliminated, 5th Jury Member)

2 Hour Finale + 1 Hour Reunion show tonight
Old 05-23-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E14) -- Season Finale -- "It Is Game Time Kids" -- 5/2

I'm pretty surprised at the winner. One of the best Survivor seasons in recent memory for me (not hard since I haven't watched for 5 or so years). I like when the best goes against the best at the end.

On a side note I hated having to watch half and hour into the "reunion show". 2 hours is already long enough and I planned on waiting until tomorrow for the reunion. Also I enjoy the reunion show so hearing what the other contestants have to say is getting shortchanged.
Old 05-23-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E14) -- Season Finale -- "It Is Game Time Kids" -- 5/2

What. The. Heck...was that TKO Reunion show about...? Worst Probst-hosted reunion show ever. One big promo, pretty much no questions or recaps...

And so so so so so many commercials...
Old 05-23-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Seabass should be embarrassed. He got outwitted by Domenick and can't get over it.

I'm surprised that Wendall pulled it off. He seemed to fall apart during the jury questions.

Hopefully we get to see Michael and Domenick play again.
Old 05-23-18, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn’t like this season or the tiebreaker. It pretty much came down to who had a closer relationship with the 3rd place finisher. No matter what she says, the deciding factor for Laurel was she was besties with Wendell.

I always enjoy Survivor even when it’s not very good though.

At least I know not to waste my time on the last half hour thanks to this thread.
Old 05-23-18, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Satisfied with the winner. While I probably would have voted Dom based on the edit, I don't think there was a wrong answer between Dom and Wendell, and it was clear some of his relationships got him to five which got him to six.

If Dom had made fire at four then that would have been the boldest Survivor move ever, but it would have been crazy.
Old 05-24-18, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I didn’t like this season or the tiebreaker. It pretty much came down to who had a closer relationship with the 3rd place finisher. No matter what she says, the deciding factor for Laurel was she was besties with Wendell.
I wonder if Dom (or any other players) knew that was how a tie-breaker would work ahead of time. It seemed really obvious to me the moment it happened -- Lady Humpty Hump will add her vote to break the tie of course, it's so obvious! Funny it never came up before though.

And the reunion "show" was a total waste of time. Too bad there wasn't a Super Bowl bouncer there to keep Kevin Hart from crashing the stage.
Old 05-24-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jeff explained how they would break a tie in an interview before they filmed that season so it was out there. It would have been more fun if they did it live, but I assume they read the votes then because it was a tie.

Instead, the players had months knowing who would win b/c even though she and Dom were real good friends out there, Laurel was with Wendell. So much so that I think she would have forced a tie at final four, and we still would have had a fire making challenge that Wendell won.

For the record, I don't like the forced fire making any more this time around. It puts the winner of the immunity challenge and the person being "taken" at a disadvantage. Plus, it opens the game up to some straight up BS like happened last season.
Old 05-24-18, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One more interesting thing worth noting. Outside of Des, all of the players who were at one point or another aligned with both Wendell and Dom voted for Wendell. I think that is telling.
Old 05-24-18, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

They still haven't said what would happen with a tie vote where all three of them get votes. So if one of the Dom votes and one of the Wendall votes had been for Laurel, what would have happened? Would those two voters be forced to vote again (which could still result in a tie) or would only Laurel vote at that point?

They should just shoot an actual reunion after they go off the air and have it run on CBS All Access. They could probably attract some new subscribers. Have it run at least 1+ hours and give all players a chance to say something. It might interfere with some of the other press they do after the finale though.
Old 05-24-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I hate that the fire making challenge is a regular part of the final tribal council now, but Probst told Entertainment Weekly it's here to stay. I hate that the last episode ran almost 30 minutes long and cut the reunion short. And not only was it cut short, CBS wasted 10 minutes of the reunion cramming Kevin Hart's new show down our throats. I liked the old days better when Probst spent the hour talking a bit with each contestant rather than him talking to random kids in the audience about who they think will win. I also liked it better when there were just 2 contestants up for the million instead of 3. It usually seems like one of the 3 left at the end is not as deserving as the other 2 and receives few votes anyway.
Old 05-24-18, 10:04 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious how this would have played out if Dom had went with Angela instead of Laurel for the final three. Granted, they both voted Wendell... but I wonder if Angela's vote would have been different as a final three member instead of a jury member.
Old 05-24-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I also liked it better when there were just 2 contestants up for the million instead of 3. It usually seems like one of the 3 left at the end is not as deserving as the other 2 and receives few votes anyway.
This. They should have an odd number of jurors and two finalists. No ties.
Old 05-24-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Probst being Probst, -and Probst loving anything that gets people talking, - he probably hoped this situation would come up sooner or later when they introduced the new rules. I'm sure Probst is thrilled with how things worked out.
Old 05-24-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate that the fire making challenge is a regular part of the final tribal council now, but Probst told Entertainment Weekly it's here to stay. I hate that the last episode ran almost 30 minutes long and cut the reunion short. And not only was it cut short, CBS wasted 10 minutes of the reunion cramming Kevin Hart's new show down our throats. I liked the old days better when Probst spent the hour talking a bit with each contestant rather than him talking to random kids in the audience about who they think will win. I also liked it better when there were just 2 contestants up for the million instead of 3. It usually seems like one of the 3 left at the end is not as deserving as the other 2 and receives few votes anyway.
That Kevin Hart bit pissed me off. Probst barely talked to any of the players. We had three Survivor couples from this season. Old school Probst would have been all over that! lol
There's been a fair bit of backlash against Survivor from the fan community over this season. It's all become about the gimmicks and idols rather than the human experience. I'm friends with some former Survivors on facebook and boy some of them like Lex really hate what Survivor has become. It didn't even look like any of them struggled for food either.
Old 05-24-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Trash season, forgettable players. Glad it's over. Didn't even bother with the reunion, sounds like it was a total waste.
Old 05-24-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also liked it better when there were just 2 contestants up for the million instead of 3. It usually seems like one of the 3 left at the end is not as deserving as the other 2 and receives few votes anyway.
The problem with the final two was that person was still there as it was usually the other deserving player who got cut at final 3. For instance if there was a final two this year there was zero chance that it would have been Dom-Wendell. It would have been one of them with Laurel.

The year they introduced final 3 we got a final tribal face/off we never would have gotten with a final 2 (Ozzy/Yul).
Old 05-24-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Did anybody catch what the gimmick will be for next season?
Old 05-24-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Just finished getting a chance to watch. Either Dom or Wendell would've been a deserving winner ... didn't matter to me which one it was. I fast-forwarded through the second 30 minutes of the show (when Dom and Wendell were at final five both with idols). What idiots everyone else was for letting their last opportunity to get rid of one of them pass by (especially Sebastian).

I was good with the final tribal running over and taking up half of the reunion show. The reunion shows have been a huge waste of time in recent years. I'm glad to get more actual show at the expense of the reunion.

Speaking of which, did I miss the mention of where Stephanie (the cute single mom yoga instructor) was? She was the only one I didn't see sitting there. Jeff may have addressed it, but I was liberally scanning through the reunion show and could easily have missed it.
Old 05-24-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The problem with the final two was that person was still there as it was usually the other deserving player who got cut at final 3. For instance if there was a final two this year there was zero chance that it would have been Dom-Wendell. It would have been one of them with Laurel.

The year they introduced final 3 we got a final tribal face/off we never would have gotten with a final 2 (Ozzy/Yul).
Yes, and I agree with this change. If having Laurel as the third wheel is the cost of seeing a close showdown between the two best players at the end, I'll take that (over a 10-0 blowout win of Dom or Wendell over Laurel). And I'm good with the fire making showdown to make final tribal as well. It increases the likelihood of deserving players at the end, and actually puts a lot of importance on an real survival skill!

Originally Posted by Damfino
David vs Goliath (with all new players). So we can look forward to being beat over the head with lots of confessionals around that theme all throughout the show

If there are any pro wrestling fans in here ... John Morrison/Johnny Mundo is playing! I'm normally not a fan of celebrities playing Survivor, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.
Old 05-24-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
Supposed underdogs vs people who have risen to the top in whatever job they work in. They missed an opportunity to make it a season of former winners vs those who were voted out first.

So much stupid this season...Laurel saying she would make a big move every single episode (or at least it felt like she claimed she would make a move the past 5-6 episodes) and yet she does nada, not even making a tiny move.

Sea Bass's now legendary stupid move (certainly as dumb as if not more so than the dude who gave away immunity only to get voted out by the person who obtained his necklace). Angela giving away secrets about an advantage, it just make for a not very exciting season.

I read the recap on avclub last night and it freed up over 2 1/2 hours so I could jump to Netflix and watch the first two eps of Safe which was a much more entertaining use of my time.

I still watch the show...but it really has become a shell of what it was in its glory days.
Old 05-24-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Sea Bass's now legendary stupid move (certainly as dumb as if not more so than the dude who gave away immunity only to get voted out by the person who obtained his necklace).
?

Certainly Sebastian wasn't a clever player, but I wouldn't consider anything he did out there to rise to anywhere near that level. He got tricked by Dom's idol gambit. He said at that point he was just hoping that the vote out Donathan plan was still in effect.

As for his "bitter vote" mentioned earlier in the thread, they didn't show it on the show, but apparently he and Wendell were really tight out there and still hang out after the show.
Old 05-24-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
If there are any pro wrestling fans in here ... John Morrison/Johnny Mundo is playing! I'm normally not a fan of celebrities playing Survivor, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.
The Shaman of Sexy, Johnny Nitro!
Old 05-24-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty crummy season full of all-talk, no-action filler players that followed the Judas goat to slaughter week after week.

Even Dom speaking to the camera about taking on Wendell in the fire making challenge was all bluster. Too bad for him he didn't follow through. It actually would have been an epic move.
Old 05-24-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
And I'm good with the fire making showdown to make final tribal as well. It increases the likelihood of deserving players at the end, and actually puts a lot of importance on an real survival skill!
One of my problems is that it gives a hero moment to a finalist that the actual winner of the final immunity contest does not get. The jury doesn't get to see that contest, but they do get to see player x build fire to win their way to the top 3. It also makes the other player in the top 3 the "sucker" being "carried" to the finals. If they insist on having a fire challenge at final four then I would rather they have a fire challenge where all four remaining contestants have to build fire in front of the jury. Top 2 or 3 advance to the finals.

Also hidden idols has should expire at top six so you either have to win final five immunity or have an alliance to reach the final four.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.