Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

C.B. Strike (Cinemax) -- Detective thriller from J.K. Rowling -- Premieres 6/1/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

C.B. Strike (Cinemax) -- Detective thriller from J.K. Rowling -- Premieres 6/1/18

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

C.B. Strike is a war veteran turned private detective who operates out of a tiny office in London's Denmark Street. Although wounded both physically and psychologically, his unique insight and background as a military police investigator prove crucial in solving complex crimes that have baffled the police. Based on the bestselling novels written by Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith, the CINEMAX three-part miniseries C.B. STRIKE debuts FRIDAY, JUNE 1 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), followed by other episodes subsequent Fridays at the same time. Tom Burke ("Only God Forgives") stars as private detective Cormoran Strike and Holliday Grainger ("The Borgias") stars as Robin Ellacott, his new assistant and protégé, in the show, which is produced in association with BBC One. C.B. STRIKE launches with three one-hour episodes based on "The Cuckoo's Calling," the first book in the trilogy, followed by adaptations of the remaining two books, "The Silkworm" and "Career of Evil," both of which consist of two one-hour episodes. C.B. STRIKE was filmed in and around London.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Holliday Grainger as Robin Ellacott
· Tom Burke as Cormoran Strike

CREW INFORMATION:
· Ben Richards as WRTR
· Elizabeth Kilgarriff as EP
· J.K. Rowling as BOOK/EP
· Michael Keillor as DIR
· Neil Blair as EP
· Ruth Kenley-Letts as EP
· Tom Edge as WRTR

7 episode season. Premieres next Friday on Cinemax. Rellik just finished it's 6 episode season last week.

This is based on the books by J.K. Rowling, who you all know is the author of the Harry Potter series.

BBC-One co-production.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tM8TECB9GAk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thought I would post a thread for the like 5 or 6 Cinemax subscribers here to set their DVRs.
Old 05-22-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: C.B. Strike (Cinemax) -- Detective thriller from J.K. Rowling -- Premieres 6/1/18

These aired in the UK earlier this year. It was an entertaining series, and Holliday Grainger is cute as a damn button!
Old 05-22-18, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: C.B. Strike (Cinemax) -- Detective thriller from J.K. Rowling -- Premieres 6/1/18

I may have to subscribe to Cinemax for a month to watch this. I love the book series.
Old 05-26-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I almost wonder if it would just be better to buy the episodes on iTunes or Amazon instead of buying a Cinemax subscription? I was looking on the Cinemax website and didn't see any shows that really interest me. I bought Banshee, Strike Back, and The Knick on blu-ray back when they were on sale for $9.99 a season.
Old 05-26-18, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I almost wonder if it would just be better to buy the episodes on iTunes or Amazon instead of buying a Cinemax subscription? I was looking on the Cinemax website and didn't see any shows that really interest me. I bought Banshee, Strike Back, and The Knick on blu-ray back when they were on sale for $9.99 a season.
CB Strike probably won’t be available for awhile. It’s not a Cinemax owned show, they just bought the rights to air it here in the States.

Season 5 of Strike Back just aired a few months ago and isn’t on home video yet. It’s 10 episodes. New cast, but there are some surprises.

I’m watching Rellik and it’s not bad for a short run suspense thriller.

Outcast is enjoyable if you don’t mind demonic possession horror. Season 2 starts in July.
Old 05-26-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I watched this as it aired and they adapted the first 3 books really well book one is episodes 1-3 book two is 4-5 and book three is 6-7 i liked episodes 4-5 the most but overall its a very solid series and the paper here reported the two leads are committed to film the 4th book that comes out this year.
Old 06-01-18, 07:00 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Bump for the premiere.
Old 06-02-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched the first episode and I really enjoyed it. I thought that they did a really good job of casting the leads, although Robin in the book is much taller than the actress playing her. The series also really captures the feel of book. I can't wait to watch the next episode.

I did have trouble trying to stream the episode though. I signed up for Cinemax on Hulu (One week free and then $9.99 a month). The episode wasn't showing up on Hulu at all. They had the episode, a description of it and what time it would run again on Cinemax. The Cinemax Channel through Amazon Prime had the episode, so I cancelled my Hulu cinemax subscription and watched it via Prime with no issues. Prime has the same deal as Hulu (One week free and then $9.99 a month). I will be cancelling the subscription after I watch all seven episodes since I don't really see anything else I'm interested in watching...
Old 06-04-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I have not read the book but I am in as this was a pleasure to watch. It is well cast and the pacing works...the slow bits are not boring and do a good job of getting you from point A to point B.

I had no idea this show was going to air until I lucked into this thread.
Old 06-10-18, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched the second episode on Saturday and I'm still loving it. It's an excellent adaptation of the novel and I'm loving the actors cast to play Strike and Robin.
Old 06-11-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I also watched the second episode and continue to be impressed. It is a real pleasure to watch this show and I am invested in figuring out who did what to each other in the world that CB inhabits.

I knew that CB and the model would sleep with each other but the route to get there from the invite to the club to her loft and the conversation before they slept with each other was great.
Old 07-16-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished this last night and I really enjoyed the series, but I thought the last two episodes were the weakest. They trimmed too much of the book to fit it into two episodes. There was a lot more context to the plot that they left out. It's still one of my favorite series of 2018 and they just announced that the next book will be out on Sept. 18th. Hopefully, we'll get an adaptation of it soon.
Old 07-17-18, 06:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I finished this last night and I really enjoyed the series, but I thought the last two episodes were the weakest. They trimmed too much of the book to fit it into two episodes. There was a lot more context to the plot that they left out. It's still one of my favorite series of 2018 and they just announced that the next book will be out on Sept. 18th. Hopefully, we'll get an adaptation of it soon.
Have to agree, I was surprised that it was only two episodes I figured it would be around four or three at the minimum.
Old 01-20-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season 1 is now on HBO Max. Season 2 premieres tonight on HBO and I expect it to be on HBO Max tomorrow.
Old 01-20-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Sheesh! I'd forgotten about this show completely. I watched one or two eps back when my service still offered Cinemax.
Old 01-20-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like it's been moved to HBO since there's not any new content premiering on Cinemax anymore.
Old 01-21-21, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season 2 episode one is on HBO Max now. They did no promotion or marketing for it. The only trailer I could find is one from the BBC where it originally aired.

Last edited by lwhy?; 01-21-21 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-21-21, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Looks like seasons 1, 2, and 3 are available on HBO On Demand.
Old 01-21-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Looks like seasons 1, 2, and 3 are available on HBO On Demand.
Here's where it gets confusing. In the UK, Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm, and Career of Evil were all released as separate seasons. In the US, all three aired as one season on Cinemax. Lethal White is season 4 in the UK and season 2 in the US. The series was poorly managed. They should have released all three as separate mini series in the US.

Last edited by lwhy?; 01-21-21 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-05-23, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The new season of CB Strike is coming out tomorrow on HBO. There was absolutely no marketing for this one. I know the author behind the series is controversial, but I love the books and the characters. They do a good job adapting it for television.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The new season of CB Strike is coming out tomorrow on HBO. There was absolutely no marketing for this one. I know the author behind the series is controversial, but I love the books and the characters. They do a good job adapting it for television.
Isn't this also based on the book that features the "problematic" (as the kids these days say) trans character?

Old 02-05-23, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Excellent! We have really enjoyed this series. I didn’t realize I hadn’t posted in this thread (or that there was one). I must have posted in the UK chatter thread.

The characters and plots keep you guessing and the two leads have great chemistry.
Old 02-05-23, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Isn't this also based on the book that features the "problematic" (as the kids these days say) trans character?
There’s a character that sometimes dresses as a woman to lure victims to kill. I think it wasn’t as bad as the hype made it out to be, but Rowling created the character so of course there’s going to be controversy.
Old 02-06-23, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I didn’t realize this launched at a time of night. Once I found out it literally went live at 9pm, but we watched as soon as it went up.

Really solid opening. Definitely pulling on some family threads for Cormin, and it’s clear her ex is still being a tool. However, with all the stuff Cormin notes, you’d think he’d remember a birthday!

As for the case, my wife said it best, “That turned dark quick!”
Old 02-09-23, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've read the book and it gets quite a bit crazier.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.