Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns (HBO) -- premieres 8/7/18

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns (HBO) -- premieres 8/7/18

Originally Posted by Decker
Man, this is an entertaining season. Easily the best since the Texans. I might be crazy but it's almost enough to make me root for the Browns.

BTW it's a fantastic show to watch while running on a treadmill. You can't quit your workout early when those guys are working so hard.
I said the same thing about rooting for them. Very entertaining so far. While I didn't dislike Baker Mayfield, I hadn't heard good things about him. He seems like a level headed kid after seeing this. Same can be said about Tyrod Taylor as well.
Old 08-17-18, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns (HBO) -- premieres 8/7/18

I'm definitely pulling for the Browns this year... on paper they've done a fantastic job bringing in some talent and drafting. Hue Jackson though; something is a bit off with him and his style, IMO. I see this team moving forward and having some success without him after this season.
Old 08-17-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I said the same thing about rooting for them. Very entertaining so far. While I didn't dislike Baker Mayfield, I hadn't heard good things about him. He seems like a level headed kid after seeing this. Same can be said about Tyrod Taylor as well.
Seeing the kid for the past couple of years, I have hated all the BS the press has given him. They painted him as a problem child along the lines of Johnny Football, when he wasn't. He pulled a couple of immature stunts, and one misdemeanor offense, but was always responsible for them and seemed to learn from them.

I will be pulling for them this year. I am really surprised that Ward and Chubb have not got much screen time.
Old 08-17-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Tyrod Taylor seems like a standup guy. I like how he sort of gives Hue feedback on what he's seeing from teammates, things to address to the team. Hue Jackson definitely seems too soft though.

Sounds like they're going to sign Dez Bryant. Should be good for drama. He's in decline but Landry/Dez/whatever you get from Gordon/Callaway is a ton of talent.

Yeah, have focused almost entirely on the same 3-4 guys. Nothing on Carlos Hyde, Chubb. So is Gordon in rehab? Probably waiting for him to get back to be the focus of an episode.

Love this series because pretty much any team that gets the Hard Knocks treatment you can't help but root for.
Old 08-17-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Really good 2nd episode. Fun highlights from their preseason game against the Giants.

Yeah I kind of hope the Browns do well this season. I'd like to see them squeak into the playoffs.

So far they haven't addressed Josh Gordon since he's taking extra time to get himself mentally ready after his drug suspensions.

I do like what I see from Baker Mayfield.

Loved seeing Gregg Williams lose his shit during halftime on his defense.
Old 08-17-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I think Hue has the right amount of discipline without going overboard and a lot better than Greg Williams though he is a good sound byte.

I wish I had Myles Garrett's body.
Old 08-29-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

My biggest gripe is with the Josh Gordon thing. Sure, they've addressed the issues and showed him this week, but he should be a featured person on this show. I feel like they are shying away from him completely out of fear he might go batshit again and then who knows what happens. Perfect example of this is showing him multiple times on camera, but not hearing him talk. The one time we do hear him talk, he's talking to a national reporter for the game which was being broadcast. It's as if they are almost avoiding him at the request of the team.
Old 08-30-18, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
My biggest gripe is with the Josh Gordon thing. Sure, they've addressed the issues and showed him this week, but he should be a featured person on this show. I feel like they are shying away from him completely out of fear he might go batshit again and then who knows what happens. Perfect example of this is showing him multiple times on camera, but not hearing him talk. The one time we do hear him talk, he's talking to a national reporter for the game which was being broadcast. It's as if they are almost avoiding him at the request of the team.
I somewhat agree. From a viewership standpoint, giving more time and attention to Gordon would be great, however I can't fault the team for shielding him as much as possible. It's possible he would be fine with more exposure, but there is little upside for the team with tons of potential downside if he were to relapse.
Old 08-30-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,206 Likes on 4,233 Posts

Yeah, Gordon is fragile enough. I'd be more happy about his return to form than I would be having him prominently featured on this show.

One thing that I like about this show : It's widely watched among football fans and since it's almost shown in real time, you can see people on the show reacting to their fame and exposure on the show. The Rookie Show and having that fourth string QB get recognized by Erin Andrews are examples of that.
Old 08-30-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or Maybe Gordon is boring and has no personality.

They put a lot of effort for that rookie show.
Old 08-30-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I doubt there's been much to show. Gordon didn't start practicing until Monday (after the events in the last episode). I'm sure he'll be a part of the finale.
Old 08-31-18, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like David Cajuste... hoping for good things for him... but I know he's the type of "character" on this show that gets cut.
Old 08-31-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cajuste went to Stanford so he could probably survive without the NFL.
Old 08-31-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, Gordon is fragile enough. I'd be more happy about his return to form than I would be having him prominently featured on this show.

One thing that I like about this show : It's widely watched among football fans and since it's almost shown in real time, you can see people on the show reacting to their fame and exposure on the show. The Rookie Show and having that fourth string QB get recognized by Erin Andrews are examples of that.
But that's the problem. The show basically bills itself as a behind the scenes look, giving you access you could never have. Sort of defeats that purpose, if they are selectively avoiding certain players with issues.

Originally Posted by Rob V
I really like David Cajuste... hoping for good things for him... but I know he's the type of "character" on this show that gets cut.
I liked him, until the crystals. Once I saw that, I was off the Cajuste train.
Old 09-06-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught the last episode last night and in typical fashion, the players they focus on all were cut (which I had known since Saturday)... nevertheless, it's a bummer to watch. I had no idea Cajuste was the #4 on the TE depth chart. i guess if I had one bitch about this show it is that you never get a good feel for who the stars are or what the depth of the team is. Yes, we all know who the stars are but as an outsider, my wife had no idea that Myles Garrett was an elite talent based on how little they focused on him.

I was shocked that Nassib was cut. I really wish the Lions would have signed him because that guy appears to be pretty talented and a hard worker.
Old 09-06-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Caught the last episode last night and in typical fashion, the players they focus on all were cut (which I had known since Saturday)... nevertheless, it's a bummer to watch. I had no idea Cajuste was the #4 on the TE depth chart. i guess if I had one bitch about this show it is that you never get a good feel for who the stars are or what the depth of the team is. Yes, we all know who the stars are but as an outsider, my wife had no idea that Myles Garrett was an elite talent based on how little they focused on him.

I was shocked that Nassib was cut. I really wish the Lions would have signed him because that guy appears to be pretty talented and a hard worker.
I can't disagree. The camp battles are compelling, but it definitely seemed that the players with the great majority of screen time were all cut. The QB was an odd one to focus on, because he had absolutely no chance of making the team and he didn't have a particularly interesting/compelling back story. Cajuste had his dad, and until they were both cut it seemed the two linebackers were battling each other for the same job. It made no sense though to give that much screen time to a 4th string free agent rookie QB.
Old 09-06-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you get cut you should be able to keep the helmet and jersey.

They could be nice memtos to show your kids that you played in an NFL game or spent time at an NFL camp.