Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Catfish: The TV Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Catfish: The TV Show

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 03-22-14 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-16-12, 01:11 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Catfish: The TV Show

This was by the far the most staged thing I've ever seen. Even more so than the movie.

There is no way someone could've spoken to the "model" and not think they were either a female or 13 year old boy. So fake. The confrontation in the kitchen was soooo badly acted.

I don't know if its true, but I saw someone say that the lesbian was on an episode of Workaholics.
Old 11-16-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, this looked staged as all hell.
Old 11-18-12, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very staged. The "man" sounded like a girl. Even the blond girl looked much better in photos than in person. She looked 25 lbs. heavier in real life.
Old 11-18-12, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very staged, yes, but entertaining nonetheless.
Old 05-15-14, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... whatever. This is one of my guilty pleasures - reality or unreality. Last night's episode, though? Wtf?

I'd read the basic details of the show when it first started, as I always do with these types of programs (and much like Shark Tank and the Producer's 5%.) Apparently it's usually the Catfisher who contacts the show's producers and applies. They always, at the very least, had contact with BOTH parties before doing anything.

I think they probably tried to change that, as it didn't work with a now well known show. So I think they genuinely were snookered last night - my guess is a producer did exactly - *exactly* - what Nev did to find Tony with the same info.

Their best guess - Tony's in Prison!!! Holy crap, ratings! Nev and Max, fly out to Ohio. Now! We got us a live one!

And... the show got f***ed in the @$$. Badly. Here's my thing though, two aspects:

A: Wtf were they doing even airing this as it was? They looked retarded, it was a dreadful episode, it just goes on.

But B: Wtf are they airing it when it's clear the *entire* thing was a con - the cousin and the guy both. Gimme a break, both of them were in on it. There was no Catfishing, no Tony ever calling. Jesus, at least come up with a better excuse for instigating it, "You called me a fat Kelly Price? Who looks stupid now, b@#$%?!? Three years! Three years, you idiot!" My problem is the show doesn't even once bring up the fact - even the possibility - Antoine was just as in on it as his cousin, 'Tony.'

Cause guess what...? They were both in on it. The entire thing was faked. The episode itself proves as much. Because Antoine? Well, he's the one who gave them that phone number. The one, conveniently, tied to a Diane Thomas, who he only saw the first time. That's bull$#!t. The cousin/'Tony' didn't track down Diane Thomas three years ago, to place one call on her phone, then switched to Private Number blocking.

The show comes off looking even stupider than it normally does. Inept. They just gave a wealth of attention and fame to two people who scammed and conned them, and it wasn't even a good scam/con. "Ooh, they met on a phone hookup line. My cousin? He don't have no computer. Text an image? I got an Obamaphone!"

Maybe people say this show is staged, but this episode proves it's not always the case. The producers wouldn't come up with something so awful. I bet you it's the last time it isn't faked/scripted/preplanned, however, as everyone involved in the show comes off looking like a dunce when a script isn't being read from. Producer, "Nev. We're taking a break. Now! What the hell are you doing? You're sabotaging your own show! You don't make fun of the way she talks - get back in there, and remember couch time (couch time? Really...?) is to give them a voice and get their story out."

Man I can't believe they aired that last night.
Old 05-17-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

MTV Suspends Catfish Production as Host Nev Schulman Is Investigated for Sexual Misconduct

http://people.com/tv/catfish-nev-sch...al-misconduct/