Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Pennyworth: The Origin of Batman’s Butler (Now on HBO Max)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pennyworth: The Origin of Batman’s Butler (Now on HBO Max)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
re: Pennyworth (Moving to HBO Max in 2022)

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yes it's filmed in London and is a period drama. We aren't going to see any Batman lore characters.
I thought it was going to be about the early days of Alfred working for Thomas Wayne? If so it's going to be heavily steeped with Batman lore.
Old 02-11-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/02/batman-...am-1202551023/

Yeah they meet and start working together, but it's has zero to do with Batman. It's 1960's London.

Jack Bannon (The Imitation Game) stars in the title role where Pennyworth has just finished his service as a British SAS solder. Boyish in looks with a charismatic personality, the future Wayne butler forms a security company and finds an employer in Thomas Wayne. The 10-episode show, which Gotham‘s Bruno Heller is also executive producing and writing, shot at Warner Bros Studios Leavesden in England.

“It’s twentysomething years before Gotham, it’s a very different world,” said Cannon. “his is the DC version of 1960s London.

“13 degrees history is different: It’s not the England we know. It looks and feels like, but if you look a little closer, [you ask], ‘Why is that like that? Why is that building there? What war is he talking about?'” the EP added.

In sum, London is a “poetic reality” in Pennyworth, Cannon said, “just like I wanted people in Gotham to search for the darkest part of New York.”

Cannon promises a completely “unhinged, R-rated” series, particularity when compared to Gotham.

While the ancestors of the Joker and the Penguin aren’t in Pennyworth, Cannon promises “archetypal villains and classic villains of British literature; they’re all available to us.”

You mean, like, Jack the Ripper?

“Jack the Ripper was 1880s,” Cannon said before teasing, “but he has descendants.”

Paloma Faith plays Alfred’s main adversary, Bet Sykes, who is described in the press materials as a “spirited, sadistic and sharp-tongued villain.” Bet has a sister, Peggy Sykes (Polly Walker), who is one of Lancashire’s busiest and most successful dominatrixes. The sensible matriarch in a family of maniacs, Peggy is fiercely loyal, endlessly resourceful and lives by her own strange but rigorous moral code. Jason Flemyng plays baddie Lord Harwood.

What has been extremely pleasing to Cannon is that early test audiences already are bowled over by Pennyworth.

SidCannon: “We had a test audience and there were only so many who knew it was a DC-related series. It was incredibly positive and that’s because the characters are being drawn out. There’s so much to draw from and so much to imagine.”

Said the EP, “You didn’t really know [Alfred’s] backstory.”

At today’s Fox session for Gotham, Cannon’s fellow EP John Stevens revealed that David Mazouz will indeed wear the final Batman costume at the end of series, but there’s also a taller guy standing in the costume. Bane will show up this season, and at San Diego Comic-Con it was revealed that the muscular Batman bad guy will break Alfred’s back this season, a big plot point from the comics.
Old 02-11-19, 12:11 PM
Banned

Oh good. Alfred and Thomas Wayne vs Jack the Ripper Jr.
Old 02-11-19, 12:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Why isn't this show on that DC Universe service?
Old 02-12-19, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Nothing else is, why should this one be any different?
Old 03-29-19, 01:02 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

<iframe width="605" height="340" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aThLUgsI9-E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-29-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

It’s not that I wouldn’t entirely check this out. It’s that I’m not going to subscribe to another service to check it out. Put it on Amazon or Netflix and I’m there.

Same reason I never finished Star Trek Discovery season 1, or even started season 2.

As for the trailer - seems to be imitating a heavy Michael Caine dialect.
Old 03-30-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
It’s not that I wouldn’t entirely check this out. It’s that I’m not going to subscribe to another service to check it out. Put it on Amazon or Netflix and I’m there.

Same reason I never finished Star Trek Discovery season 1, or even started season 2.

As for the trailer - seems to be imitating a heavy Michael Caine dialect.
You may want to check your cable/satellite/internet TV provider. Spectrum internet users have the same access to Epix as cable subscribers. Just download the app and log in with your Spectirum credentials.

Dish also offers it, Sling, Cox, Verizon Fios, Xfinity, T-Mobile, Frontier, nearly everyone but DIrecTV. So I use my Spectirum internet login.

https://www.epix.com/get-epix/step/1
Old 03-30-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got EPIX Now, their new standalone streaming service. It's only $6/month, which isn't expensive and has 4 live EPIX channels. I'll probably hang on to it for a little while and watch Pennyworth this summer.
Old 03-31-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Looks cool, I'll check it out
Old 03-31-19, 02:27 PM
Banned

Unfortunately Epix crops so I'm not even going to bother.
Old 03-31-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eric F
Unfortunately Epix crops so I'm not even going to bother.
How do you know it's cropped if this is an original series shot especially for EPIX that hasn't aired anywhere yet?

Old 03-31-19, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
How do you know it's cropped if this is an original series shot especially for EPIX that hasn't aired anywhere yet?
Movies.
Old 03-31-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah but it hasn't aired anywhere yet. You're just making a baseless assumption with no frame of reference. If EPIX airs it in 1:85:1, how will you even know if it's cropped if it's the 1st time it's airing anywhere?

OMG, I can't see the left side of Alfred's coat.....It has to be cropped!!!
Old 04-01-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Movies.
But this isn’t a movie... so...
Old 04-01-19, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by emachine12

But this isn’t a movie... so...
Epix isn’t HBO. If you want to pay $6mo for one show go right ahead. Their streaming apps don’t even offer surround sound.

Old 04-01-19, 11:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Keep moving those goalposts!
Old 04-01-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I wonder this as well. Why launch a show for a competing channel/streaming service instead of putting it on a streaming service that you’re trying to build? I’m not saying that people would flock to DC Universe to watch this, but it would be something to throw up there especially when your original content is pretty light. I mean this was announced shortly before DC Universe launched so you would think they could have optioned the right to pick it up.
Old 04-01-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Epix isn’t HBO. If you want to pay $6mo for one show go right ahead. Their streaming apps don’t even offer surround sound.

I don’t pay extra, its part of my Spectrum internet package. I already made a post and gave a link to providers who carry Epix.

Because is Epix is a premium movie channel with content from Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate & now DC/Warner. So Epix is HBO. Same with Showtime and Starz: you can either pay them directly or your cable/satellite/IP provider for access to these channels.

Originally Posted by Mike86

I wonder this as well. Why launch a show for a competing channel/streaming service instead of putting it on a streaming service that you’re trying to build? I’m not saying that people would flock to DC Universe to watch this, but it would be something to throw up there especially when your original content is pretty light. I mean this was announced shortly before DC Universe launched so you would think they could have optioned the right to pick it up.
I’m betting Epix wanted to shore up their offers from other studios besides their majority partners of Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM. They obviously have put in a hefty bid for this DC/Warner show. Same with SyFy locking Krypton’s first run rights.
Old 04-01-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
I’m betting Epix wanted to shore up their offers from other studios besides their majority partners of Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM. They obviously have put in a hefty bid for this DC/Warner show. Same with SyFy locking Krypton’s first run rights.
I suppose, but it isn't like this is a marquee character like CW getting Green Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, etc. This is Alfred, Bruce Wayne's butler. Aside from the DC branding you could pretty much sell this as a period action/spy show and not many people would know the difference.
Old 04-24-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

New Trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e3QUVALwlRs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Another new trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QHbfV3gB7hg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-11-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I currently have EPIX Now, so I guess I'll be the only one here watching July 28th.
Old 07-11-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I don't know if this applies to Spectrum customers everywhere, but I get access to the EPIX streaming service for free with my Spectrum internet subscription. I don't have cable television with Spectrum (or anyone), just internet, but that gives me EPIX access so I can stream their movies and tv series.
I may check it out, but I started to find Gotham a bit tedious toward the end, so I don't have high hopes for this. Plus I can't really see it getting a lot of traction and having multiple seasons.
Old 07-18-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07...ode-1-premiere

The Pilot screened at San Diego Comic Con yesterday. IGN gave it a glowing review. 9 out of 10. The Pilot is also 75 minutes long.

As I said before in this thread, this has no connection to Batman other than introducing a young Thomas Wayne.

Epix's Pennyworth is a fantastic new edition to the Batman mythology that doesn't use its connection to the Caped Crusader as a narrative crutch. Creators Bruno Heller and Danny Cannon wisely center their story on Alfred's coming-of-age journey, while surrounding him compelling supporting characters like Thomas Wayne and the villainous Bet Sykes. The alternate 1960s London backdrop adds to show's unique look, setting it apart from many of the comic book show we've seen on network TV.

I'm looking forward to it. Of course I'll probably be the only one watching as no one here subscribes to EPIX.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.