Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Old 04-29-18, 06:23 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 58,017
Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18







PAEAN TO THE PEOPLE
Original Air Date: Apr 29, 2018

Carrie and Saul's mission doesn't go as planned. Elizabeth Keane fights for her presidency. Season finale.

Next season will be the final season
Old 04-29-18, 09:37 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,908
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

I can officially say that Homeland jumped the shark tonight, as that speech was utterly ridiculous by the President. The one thing I have always loved about Homeland is that it never preached to the audience, as alot of the show always put the characters in that 'grey' area, even the early days of Brody and you can choose how much you agreed with them. So Carrie and Saul went through all of that to vindicate President Keane, and then she resigns?
Old 04-29-18, 09:50 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 504
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Agreed. This will definitely go down as the worst season of the show.

It looks like Carrie will spend some time trying to come back from her psychotic break or they will simply time jump ahead and skip that part writing it off as 'she just needed to get back on her meds'

I think Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon have been horrible additions to this show.
Old 04-29-18, 10:22 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 58,017
Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
I think Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon have been horrible additions to this show.
Additions? Gansa and Gordon have been with the show since the 1st season.

Both of them developed it from the original Israeli show. Gansa has been sole showrunner since season 2.
Old 04-29-18, 10:55 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,000
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

So is Carrie going to be the new Brody next season? I could see them basing the season around the possibility that Carrie has become a Russian sleeper agent. Just a wild guess.
Old 04-29-18, 11:21 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,197
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by windom View Post
So is Carrie going to be the new Brody next season? I could see them basing the season around the possibility that Carrie has become a Russian sleeper agent. Just a wild guess.
Do it. Fully embrace the ridiculousness of it all.

Funny thing is the show was actually decent once it pivoted to the Russian stuff. Definitely a ridiculous ending with her resignation though.
Old 04-30-18, 12:16 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,771
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by windom View Post
So is Carrie going to be the new Brody next season? I could see them basing the season around the possibility that Carrie has become a Russian sleeper agent. Just a wild guess.
Ok. Iím on board for next season now. 😂
Old 04-30-18, 12:58 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,153
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I can officially say that Homeland jumped the shark tonight, as that speech was utterly ridiculous by the President.
Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
Agreed. This will definitely go down as the worst season of the show.
Haha yeah, the entire episode was utterly nauseating. As if anyone watching honestly gives a crap if Carrie lives or dies. Check that, I do wish she leave the show, so dying would accomplish that.

This season was beyond awful. Damn them for announcing that the next will be the last so that now I will probably hate-watch to the bitter, bitter, bitterly bitter end.

Take your time coming back, Homeland.
Old 04-30-18, 02:06 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
~~ PAL ~~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 3,400
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

I actually guessed the President would decide to step down. However, even though it's probably for the best it really seemed out of character for such a vindictive person, especially with the way she decided to lord it over Paley right before that.

It was also interesting that Paley's Chief of Staff Janet seems to be getting away scott free by "cooperating with investigators", when she was really the one egging Paley on into all those treasonous acts. They also never addressed what the heck happened to O'Keefe after he was arrested.

Homeland has gone downhill a ton since its early season highs, but I will probably still watch it to the bitter end...
Old 04-30-18, 06:35 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,908
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Haha yeah, the entire episode was utterly nauseating. As if anyone watching honestly gives a crap if Carrie lives or dies. Check that, I do wish she leave the show, so dying would accomplish that.

.
I actually thought it would have been a great SERIES finale if they killed Carrie, and the show ends as she saved the Presidency. They could have done a smokescreen by talking about Season 8 (Claire Danes mentioned it on Howard Stern), keeping secret that this was actually the final season.

Instead we get some contrived trade-off of 4 Russian Hostages for her, who if I remember correctly doesn't even work for the CIA anymore? Then the President, who did everything she could to keep her power, quits over wanting more Bi-Partisanship?

And the final SJW bullshit line by President Keane, "If it takes a woman to do this......"
Old 04-30-18, 07:49 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 504
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Additions? Gansa and Gordon have been with the show since the 1st season.

Both of them developed it from the original Israeli show. Gansa has been sole showrunner since season 2.
whoops, I meant Chip Johannesson, but I had just looked up to see who wrote the episode and saw Alex Gansa (which I thought was horrible writing).

I can't really figure out what changed on this show to make things take such a dive.
Old 04-30-18, 07:55 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,908
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

I have talked to 3 people at work this morning and they all hated the ending. And these are people who are not too critical of the show most of the time, but all thought it was ridiculous that President Keane resigned, and 'Ultra Crazy' Carrie being traded for hostages.
Old 04-30-18, 11:57 AM
  #13  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 21,244
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

hahahahhahahahaha

OMG what in the holy hell was that episode? I was hoping they gave her the heart attack pill.

And is she that stupid that she thinks she can trade sex for pills with a GRU agent? She appears to have a very elevated picture of her own hotness, especially when she's making the crying face.
Old 04-30-18, 12:21 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,153
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
hahahahhahahahaha

OMG what in the holy hell was that episode? I was hoping they gave her the heart attack pill.

And is she that stupid that she thinks she can trade sex for pills with a GRU agent? She appears to have a very elevated picture of her own hotness, especially when she's making the crying face.
Well, it was at least the third time in one season she offered to spread her legs to get what she wanted.

Also, when she was on the bridge at the end and Saul got a look at her that was quite literally a moment. I was sure she was going to reach into her coat and pull out some cats to throw at Saul.

In fact, when I think about it as I type this I am chuckling again.
Old 04-30-18, 12:56 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,000
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

If Carrie is still somewhat crazy next season that will allow them to throw in a lot of Brody hallucinations if they can still get Damien Lewis.
Old 04-30-18, 01:41 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,908
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

For anyone that cares about Season 8 at this point:

http://collider.com/homeland-season-8-timeline/
Old 04-30-18, 02:10 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,054
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Very good finale to a very good season.

Canít wait for Carrie to be back for the final season.
Old 04-30-18, 04:26 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Very good finale to a very good season.

Canít wait for Carrie to be back for the final season.
Enjoyable comment just because it's so against the grain of all the other comments.

Unfortunately, as one who once considered Homeland must-see TV, and one who actually still likes and looks forward to the show, this season was a letdown for me. They talked about embracing Trump parallels, but I didn't find that entertaining, which should be the primary goal. I had the same problem with the latest episode of The Good Fight (which went even further). Going at the Russians and watching President Keane resign was like someone using my Homeland viewing time to work out their wish fulfillment, not explore plausible quandaries involving national safety while adhering to traditional American values.

BTW, do you really trade what the U.S. traded to get Carrie back when everything that caused Carrie to be captured was initiated by Russia to begin with? Do you not simply point out to Russia what it did and demand her back? What would we have done if Saul were prevented from leaving? Catching a spy is one thing. "Catching" someone who was a member of an official delegation with diplomatic immunity (even given what Carrie did), it another thing completely. At most, they would expel her from the country and potentially forbid her from entering again.
Old 04-30-18, 06:26 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,328
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

I really liked the first season when Carrie was sort of this Sherlockian character set in the CIA that has disease that allows her to see connections that others dont. It would have been landmark television if the bomb hadnt coveniently malfunctioned.

Then Danes decided people liked the show because of the Brody romance. Seriously.

Then this season. I guess we are supposed to be huge Carrie fans and also on Keanes side. Really? I truly dislike Carrie and do not root for her at all, and Keane really was a horrible President. So the whole saving her Presidency plotline fell completely flat. Couple that with the ludicrousness of that rescue of the spy and I have to say it was some of the dumbest TV ever.

I do not think that Danes and the showrunners actually understand their own audience. I think a complete reboot of Homeland could work if it goes back to the original tautness and daring the show had.

I hate Carrie. I hated the President. And they thought we were rooting for them. Were we supposed to be sad the psycho resigned?
Old 04-30-18, 08:09 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,153
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I hate Carrie. I hated the President. And they thought we were rooting for them. Were we supposed to be sad the psycho resigned?
It is very transparent what the viewer is supposed to feel, but the show has become so inept in execution that more often than not the exact opposite result is achieved.
Old 04-30-18, 08:23 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Luds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gatineau, QC
Posts: 909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

I'm not crazy about the whole full circle thing that seems to be hinted with the end where Carrie would become the next POW that may have turned. And so the Russians won since Keane left? That was silly.

Last edited by Luds; 05-01-18 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-30-18, 09:41 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 12,756
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
And the final SJW bullshit line by President Keane, "If it takes a woman to do this......"
Yea, I think you're reading too much into that line to associate it with "SJW's".

The second I read your comment, I figured it came from you.
Old 05-01-18, 07:25 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,908
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Yea, I think you're reading too much into that line to associate it with "SJW's".

The second I read your comment, I figured it came from you.
I watched it again last night after you posted this just to see if I was jumping to conclusions, and I stand by my initial assessment that the line wasn't needed. The one thing they have done well with President Keane is that you really don't look at her as a 'women' President, because she has been strong through her whole Presidency. In fact, I think the settiment around the country (and Carrie) is that they are scared of her and she was turning into the Imperial President (and Russia exploited that).

So only a Liberal writer would think to throw in that line, "I know many of you think I'm not strong because I'm a women. I guess if it takes a women to do this...." (I'm paraphrasing so I don't have the exact quote). Liberal people constantly think what other think and that is what annoyed me about that line, is that they thought of her as a Women President instead of just a President. She fought her way back to getting reinstated as President, so I don't know anyone out there who would think she wasn't tough?

I know you'll disagree with me, as we just see things differently. And for the record, I usually don't get bent out of shape about SJW stuff like other Conservatives, but my original point was Homeland NEVER preached. That is why I loved the show because you never really knew if the writers were Conservative or Liberal, and it was refreshing in this day and age of partisan politics, that you get a political show that isn't playing to either the MSNBC or FoxNews crowd.
Old 05-01-18, 08:42 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
uteotw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 4,445
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I watched it again last night after you posted this just to see if I was jumping to conclusions, and I stand by my initial assessment that the line wasn't needed. The one thing they have done well with President Keane is that you really don't look at her as a 'women' President, because she has been strong through her whole Presidency. In fact, I think the settiment around the country (and Carrie) is that they are scared of her and she was turning into the Imperial President (and Russia exploited that).

So only a Liberal writer would think to throw in that line, "I know many of you think I'm not strong because I'm a women. I guess if it takes a women to do this...." (I'm paraphrasing so I don't have the exact quote). Liberal people constantly think what other think and that is what annoyed me about that line, is that they thought of her as a Women President instead of just a President. She fought her way back to getting reinstated as President, so I don't know anyone out there who would think she wasn't tough?

I know you'll disagree with me, as we just see things differently. And for the record, I usually don't get bent out of shape about SJW stuff like other Conservatives, but my original point was Homeland NEVER preached. That is why I loved the show because you never really knew if the writers were Conservative or Liberal, and it was refreshing in this day and age of partisan politics, that you get a political show that isn't playing to either the MSNBC or FoxNews crowd.
Totally agree. That line was a huge eyeroll for me as well, but so was most of this episode.
Old 05-02-18, 07:03 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,214
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Yep, easily the worst season of the series - although having Beau Bridges as the President in the final season (assuming he returns) gives me some hope - he was by far the best thing about this season (and perhaps the most likable character).

I honestly don't care what happens to Carrie anymore...the writers have completely ruined her character.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.