Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

PAEAN TO THE PEOPLE
Original Air Date: Apr 29, 2018

Carrie and Saul's mission doesn't go as planned. Elizabeth Keane fights for her presidency. Season finale.

Next season will be the final season
Old 04-29-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Homeland (S7E12) -- Season Finale -- "Paean to the People" -- 4/29/18

I can officially say that Homeland jumped the shark tonight, as that speech was utterly ridiculous by the President. The one thing I have always loved about Homeland is that it never preached to the audience, as alot of the show always put the characters in that 'grey' area, even the early days of Brody and you can choose how much you agreed with them. So Carrie and Saul went through all of that to vindicate President Keane, and then she resigns?
Old 04-29-18, 09:50 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Agreed. This will definitely go down as the worst season of the show.

It looks like Carrie will spend some time trying to come back from her psychotic break or they will simply time jump ahead and skip that part writing it off as 'she just needed to get back on her meds'

I think Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon have been horrible additions to this show.
Old 04-29-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
I think Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon have been horrible additions to this show.
Additions? Gansa and Gordon have been with the show since the 1st season.

Both of them developed it from the original Israeli show. Gansa has been sole showrunner since season 2.
Old 04-29-18, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So is Carrie going to be the new Brody next season? I could see them basing the season around the possibility that Carrie has become a Russian sleeper agent. Just a wild guess.
Old 04-29-18, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So is Carrie going to be the new Brody next season? I could see them basing the season around the possibility that Carrie has become a Russian sleeper agent. Just a wild guess.
Do it. Fully embrace the ridiculousness of it all.

Funny thing is the show was actually decent once it pivoted to the Russian stuff. Definitely a ridiculous ending with her resignation though.
Old 04-30-18, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Ok. I’m on board for next season now. 😂
Old 04-30-18, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I can officially say that Homeland jumped the shark tonight, as that speech was utterly ridiculous by the President.
Originally Posted by bluesix
Agreed. This will definitely go down as the worst season of the show.
Haha yeah, the entire episode was utterly nauseating. As if anyone watching honestly gives a crap if Carrie lives or dies. Check that, I do wish she leave the show, so dying would accomplish that.

This season was beyond awful. Damn them for announcing that the next will be the last so that now I will probably hate-watch to the bitter, bitter, bitterly bitter end.

Take your time coming back, Homeland.
Old 04-30-18, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

I actually guessed the President would decide to step down. However, even though it's probably for the best it really seemed out of character for such a vindictive person, especially with the way she decided to lord it over Paley right before that.

It was also interesting that Paley's Chief of Staff Janet seems to be getting away scott free by "cooperating with investigators", when she was really the one egging Paley on into all those treasonous acts. They also never addressed what the heck happened to O'Keefe after he was arrested.

Homeland has gone downhill a ton since its early season highs, but I will probably still watch it to the bitter end...
Old 04-30-18, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Haha yeah, the entire episode was utterly nauseating. As if anyone watching honestly gives a crap if Carrie lives or dies. Check that, I do wish she leave the show, so dying would accomplish that.

I actually thought it would have been a great SERIES finale if they killed Carrie, and the show ends as she saved the Presidency. They could have done a smokescreen by talking about Season 8 (Claire Danes mentioned it on Howard Stern), keeping secret that this was actually the final season.

Instead we get some contrived trade-off of 4 Russian Hostages for her, who if I remember correctly doesn't even work for the CIA anymore? Then the President, who did everything she could to keep her power, quits over wanting more Bi-Partisanship?

And the final SJW bullshit line by President Keane, "If it takes a woman to do this......"
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (05-17-21)
Old 04-30-18, 07:49 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Additions? Gansa and Gordon have been with the show since the 1st season.

Both of them developed it from the original Israeli show. Gansa has been sole showrunner since season 2.
whoops, I meant Chip Johannesson, but I had just looked up to see who wrote the episode and saw Alex Gansa (which I thought was horrible writing).

I can't really figure out what changed on this show to make things take such a dive.
Old 04-30-18, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have talked to 3 people at work this morning and they all hated the ending. And these are people who are not too critical of the show most of the time, but all thought it was ridiculous that President Keane resigned, and 'Ultra Crazy' Carrie being traded for hostages.
Old 04-30-18, 11:57 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

hahahahhahahahaha

OMG what in the holy hell was that episode? I was hoping they gave her the heart attack pill.

And is she that stupid that she thinks she can trade sex for pills with a GRU agent? She appears to have a very elevated picture of her own hotness, especially when she's making the crying face.
Old 04-30-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BDB
hahahahhahahahaha

OMG what in the holy hell was that episode? I was hoping they gave her the heart attack pill.

And is she that stupid that she thinks she can trade sex for pills with a GRU agent? She appears to have a very elevated picture of her own hotness, especially when she's making the crying face.
Well, it was at least the third time in one season she offered to spread her legs to get what she wanted.

Also, when she was on the bridge at the end and Saul got a look at her that was quite literally a moment. I was sure she was going to reach into her coat and pull out some cats to throw at Saul.

In fact, when I think about it as I type this I am chuckling again.
Old 04-30-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

If Carrie is still somewhat crazy next season that will allow them to throw in a lot of Brody hallucinations if they can still get Damien Lewis.
Old 04-30-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For anyone that cares about Season 8 at this point:

http://collider.com/homeland-season-8-timeline/
Old 04-30-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good finale to a very good season.

Can’t wait for Carrie to be back for the final season.
Old 04-30-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Very good finale to a very good season.

Can’t wait for Carrie to be back for the final season.
Enjoyable comment just because it's so against the grain of all the other comments.

Unfortunately, as one who once considered Homeland must-see TV, and one who actually still likes and looks forward to the show, this season was a letdown for me. They talked about embracing Trump parallels, but I didn't find that entertaining, which should be the primary goal. I had the same problem with the latest episode of The Good Fight (which went even further). Going at the Russians and watching President Keane resign was like someone using my Homeland viewing time to work out their wish fulfillment, not explore plausible quandaries involving national safety while adhering to traditional American values.

BTW, do you really trade what the U.S. traded to get Carrie back when everything that caused Carrie to be captured was initiated by Russia to begin with? Do you not simply point out to Russia what it did and demand her back? What would we have done if Saul were prevented from leaving? Catching a spy is one thing. "Catching" someone who was a member of an official delegation with diplomatic immunity (even given what Carrie did), it another thing completely. At most, they would expel her from the country and potentially forbid her from entering again.
Old 04-30-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I really liked the first season when Carrie was sort of this Sherlockian character set in the CIA that has disease that allows her to see connections that others dont. It would have been landmark television if the bomb hadnt coveniently malfunctioned.

Then Danes decided people liked the show because of the Brody romance. Seriously.

Then this season. I guess we are supposed to be huge Carrie fans and also on Keanes side. Really? I truly dislike Carrie and do not root for her at all, and Keane really was a horrible President. So the whole saving her Presidency plotline fell completely flat. Couple that with the ludicrousness of that rescue of the spy and I have to say it was some of the dumbest TV ever.

I do not think that Danes and the showrunners actually understand their own audience. I think a complete reboot of Homeland could work if it goes back to the original tautness and daring the show had.

I hate Carrie. I hated the President. And they thought we were rooting for them. Were we supposed to be sad the psycho resigned?
Old 04-30-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I hate Carrie. I hated the President. And they thought we were rooting for them. Were we supposed to be sad the psycho resigned?
It is very transparent what the viewer is supposed to feel, but the show has become so inept in execution that more often than not the exact opposite result is achieved.
Old 04-30-18, 08:23 PM

I'm not crazy about the whole full circle thing that seems to be hinted with the end where Carrie would become the next POW that may have turned. And so the Russians won since Keane left? That was silly.

Last edited by Luds; 05-01-18 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-30-18, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

And the final SJW bullshit line by President Keane, "If it takes a woman to do this......"
Yea, I think you're reading too much into that line to associate it with "SJW's".

The second I read your comment, I figured it came from you.
Old 05-01-18, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Yea, I think you're reading too much into that line to associate it with "SJW's".

The second I read your comment, I figured it came from you.
I watched it again last night after you posted this just to see if I was jumping to conclusions, and I stand by my initial assessment that the line wasn't needed. The one thing they have done well with President Keane is that you really don't look at her as a 'women' President, because she has been strong through her whole Presidency. In fact, I think the settiment around the country (and Carrie) is that they are scared of her and she was turning into the Imperial President (and Russia exploited that).

So only a Liberal writer would think to throw in that line, "I know many of you think I'm not strong because I'm a women. I guess if it takes a women to do this...." (I'm paraphrasing so I don't have the exact quote). Liberal people constantly think what other think and that is what annoyed me about that line, is that they thought of her as a Women President instead of just a President. She fought her way back to getting reinstated as President, so I don't know anyone out there who would think she wasn't tough?

I know you'll disagree with me, as we just see things differently. And for the record, I usually don't get bent out of shape about SJW stuff like other Conservatives, but my original point was Homeland NEVER preached. That is why I loved the show because you never really knew if the writers were Conservative or Liberal, and it was refreshing in this day and age of partisan politics, that you get a political show that isn't playing to either the MSNBC or FoxNews crowd.
Old 05-01-18, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I watched it again last night after you posted this just to see if I was jumping to conclusions, and I stand by my initial assessment that the line wasn't needed. The one thing they have done well with President Keane is that you really don't look at her as a 'women' President, because she has been strong through her whole Presidency. In fact, I think the settiment around the country (and Carrie) is that they are scared of her and she was turning into the Imperial President (and Russia exploited that).

So only a Liberal writer would think to throw in that line, "I know many of you think I'm not strong because I'm a women. I guess if it takes a women to do this...." (I'm paraphrasing so I don't have the exact quote). Liberal people constantly think what other think and that is what annoyed me about that line, is that they thought of her as a Women President instead of just a President. She fought her way back to getting reinstated as President, so I don't know anyone out there who would think she wasn't tough?

I know you'll disagree with me, as we just see things differently. And for the record, I usually don't get bent out of shape about SJW stuff like other Conservatives, but my original point was Homeland NEVER preached. That is why I loved the show because you never really knew if the writers were Conservative or Liberal, and it was refreshing in this day and age of partisan politics, that you get a political show that isn't playing to either the MSNBC or FoxNews crowd.
Totally agree. That line was a huge eyeroll for me as well, but so was most of this episode.
Old 05-02-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Yep, easily the worst season of the series - although having Beau Bridges as the President in the final season (assuming he returns) gives me some hope - he was by far the best thing about this season (and perhaps the most likable character).

I honestly don't care what happens to Carrie anymore...the writers have completely ruined her character.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (05-17-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.