Reload this Page >

Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E09) -- "The Sea Slug Slugger" -- 4/18/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-18-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

A CLASSIC SURVIVOR EATING CHALLENGE IS BACK, AND INDIVIDUAL IMMUNITY IS ON THE LINE, ON "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18

"The Sea Slug Slugger" - A classic SURVIVOR eating challenge is back, and individual immunity is on the line, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, April 18 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Original "NAVITI" TRIBE (Purple)
Angela Perkins, Army Veteran

Chelsea Townsend, EMT

Desiree Afuye, Student

Kellyn Bechtold, Career Counselor

Morgan Ricke, Marine Animal Trainer (3rd Eliminated)
Bradley Kleihege, Law Student (7th Eliminated)
Chris Noble, Male Model (8th Eliminated, 1st Jury Member)
Domenick Abbate, Construction Supervisor

Sebastian Noel, Fishing Guide

Wendell Holland, Furniture Designer

Original "MALOLO" TRIBE (Orange)
Jenna Bowman, Account Executive

Laurel Johnson, Financial Consultant

Libby Vincek, Social Media Strategist

Stephanie Gonzalez, Graphic Sales (1st Eliminated)
Stephanie Johnson, Yoga Instructor (5th Eliminated)
Brendan Shapiro, Physical Education Teacher (4th Eliminated)
Donathan Hurley, Caretaker

Jacob Derwin, Music Teacher (2nd Eliminated)
James Lim, Business Analyst (6th Eliminated)
Michael Yerger, Real Estate Agent

Episode 9 of 15
Old 04-18-18, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E09) -- "The Sea Slug Slugger" -- 4/18/18

Angela swallowed those sea slugs whole Wonder if she's single
Old 04-18-18, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts

It's not Ozzy's stick; it's Eliza's fucking stick. All of Libby's camera time told me she was going home.
Old 04-19-18, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I really wanted Jeff to say: “This is a fucking stick. And this season it’s also a hidden immunity idol!”

I’m struggling to care about any of the players. No true villain ... but no true heroes left for me either (at least with what the editing has shown.

I suppose there’s no way for Wendel to hide his big ass idol when going to tribal, making it clear he’s not going to play it.
Old 04-19-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The reason I stopped watching the show was the proliferation of Immunity Idols and this season they seem to have doubled down. I don't even know how many are out there now and there are still opportunities for more to come into the game.

Mr. Wendell is awesome but that means he'll be gone soon cause he's a threat.
Old 04-19-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber

Or him or Dominic is winning and will be handed a bunch of idols if needed because everyone else left has crap/non plausable winner edit's and Survivor is Big Brother on an Island now minus zingbot.
Old 04-19-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

The reason I stopped watching the show was the proliferation of Immunity Idols and this season they seem to have doubled down. I don't even know how many are out there now and there are still opportunities for more to come into the game.
Very true. I had completely forgotten that Michael even had an idol. When it was brought up that he had one, it made for a very undramatic and predictable vote out of Libby (despite the editing trying to make it seem that Wendel was at risk). The fact that Wendel didn't even consider his own idol shows that was exaggerated.

And I agree sticking to the somewhat-secret intertribe alliance of Domenick, Donathan, Wendel, and Laurel makes sense for them all. I can see how all 4 see a good path to winning the game sticking to that (though for 3 of them I think that involves taking out Wendel right before final tribal). By the time the numbers get low enough that the alliance would be revealed, it would be too late for the others to do anything about it. The fact that there's 2 HII's in that group makes it even more powerful.

Of course, that's the logical thing for them to do. Odds are someone will be a dumbass and mess it up
Old 04-19-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad that Michael's still there...and that's about it.

The season seemed to be going well for awhile, but I'm quite bored by the Naviti power group. And Wendell and Dom aren't doing anything to win me over.
Old 04-19-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Can we all agree the Ghost Island concept is a bust? Why even bother if you aren't going to have a game there every week?
Old 04-19-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

yeah, when someone can find a hidden immunity idol in the dark like Dominic did, it’s time to hand them out to everyone. Ghost island has turned out to be lame as well.
Old 04-20-18, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Can we all agree the Ghost Island concept is a bust? Why even bother if you aren't going to have a game there every week?
It also seems likely it can be manipulated when they have to break things in order on the island It means week to week producers can decide if there will be a possible reward. Even if they place it before tribes choose who goes they can drum up the drama for that week knowing how past tribal councils are going. Or if the pot is already stirred up, no reward.

The idea seemed to start out OK, but now it seems like another vehicle to introduce chaos to insure strong alliances can't easily play things out (in addition to handing out HII at camp like candy on Halloween). Maybe if they were non immunity rewards it would work better?
Old 04-20-18, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
It also seems likely it can be manipulated when they have to break things in order on the island It means week to week producers can decide if there will be a possible reward. Even if they place it before tribes choose who goes they can drum up the drama for that week knowing how past tribal councils are going. Or if the pot is already stirred up, no reward.

The idea seemed to start out OK, but now it seems like another vehicle to introduce chaos to insure strong alliances can't easily play things out (in addition to handing out HII at camp like candy on Halloween). Maybe if they were non immunity rewards it would work better?
I wish the contestant could choose which canister to break and throw a curveball into the game. However, Probst has said that everything was pre-determined for each week ahead of time and the only unknown element was the player.
Old 04-20-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Survivor is played out.
Old 04-23-18, 04:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This season lost me a bit when they swapped tribes around in week 3 or whatever it was. I'm already struggling to remember people that early in, and mixing up the tribes before I really got to know them just made it worse.

If they're going to do it, they 1) should have a game every time, and 2) make it mandatory with a negative repercussion if they lose.
Old 04-25-18, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
If they're going to do it, they 1) should have a game every time, and 2) make it mandatory with a negative repercussion if they lose.
I agree. Ghost Island should have a game every week. Even if they want to make some weeks have better odds than others, they shouldn't make a week worthless.

And I love the negative repercussions. No one seems to care much about losing a vote. They should take a page from Big Brother and make it a serious something bad for the rest of the players, so you get a reward, but you also get put on everyone's radar.
Old 04-25-18, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Survivor is played out.
I wouldn't go that far, though maybe this season is.

Overall, Survivor still delivers as one of the best reality shows and/or game shows on TV, even during a bad season.