Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Stranger Things -- News, Rumors, Casting, etc. Thread (possible spoilers)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 02:14 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

We finally know how many episodes Stranger Things‘ forthcoming third season will consist of and, sadly, it’s less than Eleven.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Netflix’s ’80s phenom will produce eight episodes in Season 3, down one installment compared to Season 2’s nine-episode haul but in line with Season 1’s total. Production is slated to begin in mid April.

What else do we know about Season 3? Not much, although series co-creators the Duffer Brothers did previously confirm that the action would jump ahead a year (presumably) to 1985, when Goonies and Back to the Future were all the rage. “Even if we wanted to hop into the action faster, we couldn’t,” Matt Duffer told THR. “Our kids are aging. We can only write and produce the show so fast. They’re going to be almost a year older by the time we start shooting Season 3… [so] it forces you to do a time jump.”

Returning for Season 3 are series regulars Winona Ryder (Joyce), David Harbour (Jim), Finn Wolfhard (Mike), Noah Schnapp (Will), Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven), Caleb McLaughlin (Lucas), Gaten Matarazzo (Dustin), Cara Buono (Karen), Natalia Dyer (Nancy), Charlie Heaton (Jonathan), Joe Keery (Steve), Dacre Montgomery (Billy), and Sadie Sink (Max).
http://tvline.com/2018/02/09/strange...r-of-episodes/
Old 02-20-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 10/27/17

Rumors are the Duffer Bros won't be show runners after S3: http://www.darkhorizons.com/stranger...-to-step-back/
Old 02-20-18, 01:40 PM

I don't know if I buy that... especially with the story originating from Moviefone.

Edit --
And Collider dismisses the report:

Exclusive: No, the Duffer Brothers Are Not Leaving ‘Stranger Things’ After Season 3
http://collider.com/stranger-things-...dium=social#tv
Old 02-21-18, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I don't know if I buy that... especially with the story originating from Moviefone.

Edit --
And Collider dismisses the report:

Exclusive: No, the Duffer Brothers Are Not Leaving ‘Stranger Things’ After Season 3
http://collider.com/stranger-things-...dium=social#tv
Phew...that was a tense 22 mins.
Old 02-21-18, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm fine with 8 episodes. Especially considering the terrible ninth bonus episode we got for season 2.

Also is it just me or do they sound REALLY spoiled with their go at their own pace schedule. How is that even considered a tight schedule for an 8 episode season?

My wish is that it would continue on with each season taking place in a new year and the events taking place between October and the end of the year with a release in October. It just fits so well as a holiday show and I think that time of year fits both in terms of story and visual style.

But as long as they can keep up the level of quality from season to season they can take all the time they need.
Old 03-02-18, 04:53 PM

The world of Stranger Things is expanding.

Netflix has announced casting for two roles in the show's upcoming third season, one of whom is already a familiar face within the Upside Down universe: Priah Ferguson, who plays Erica Sinclair, Lucas' (Caleb McLoughlin) younger sister. After guest starring in season two, Ferguson will return in season three as a recurring star.

What's more, Erica won't be alone. Netflix notes that Erica will be accompanied by "an army of friends" as she heads into the third season of the series. No longer content with sitting on the sidelines, Erica finds herself on a wild mission to save Hawkins from a dangerous and unexpected new threat.

Based on the description, it sounds like Erica and her friends will be fighting back against the Upside Down this season. If so? The Mind Flayer doesn't stand a chance.

Meanwhile, another new actor has been added to the Stranger Things cast: Maya Thurman-Hawke, who plays Jo March in BBC and Masterpiece's adaptation of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. Thurman-Hawke will play a brand new character: Robin, an alternative girl who is equal parts sharp and playful. Bored with her mundane day job, she just wants a little excitement in her life… and gets more than she bargained for when she uncovers a dark secret in Hawkins.

Exactly what does that dark secret entail? Appropriately enough, Stranger Things fans are very much in the dark in that regard. While the first season ended with a strong indication of the next year's story, season two ended in such a fashion that the future of the series is somewhat unknown. The Mind Flayer still towers over Hawkins from the Upside Down, but otherwise? The next moves are up in the air — exactly as the Duffers want it, according to what they previously told The Hollywood Reporter: "Last year, we had a lot of little cliffhangers at the end of the season. We didn't want to do that again. We didn't want to box ourselves in for season three. We wanted to be able to start season three on a very clean slate."

The third season of Stranger Things is expected to land in 2019.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...embers-1090339
Old 03-02-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,003 Likes on 623 Posts

Maya looks a lot like her mom.
Old 03-02-18, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Maya looks a lot like her mom.
For sure.
Old 03-12-18, 08:19 AM

‘Stranger Things’ Creators “Upset” By Verbal Abuse Allegations, Netflix “Found No Wrongdoing”
http://deadline.com/2018/03/stranger...ns-1202331720/

I wouldn't be surprised if more people come forward with complaints. They kind of came off like dicks to me on the Beyond Stranger Things aftershow. Though, equating this to other things that have come out about other people, is unjust to me.
Old 03-12-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

"Verbal abuse"... if this is a fireable offense, expect every board room to be emptied by lunch time.
Old 04-03-18, 01:57 PM

Apparently The Duffers are being accused of and sued for stealing the idea:
http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/03/strang...leged-rip-off/
Old 04-03-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Yeah, secret government experiments are exclusive to Stranger Things.
Old 04-03-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Apparently The Duffers are being accused of and sued for stealing the idea:
http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/03/strang...leged-rip-off/
I think they're going to need a class action suit.
Old 04-03-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Stranger Things was sold under the name Montauk, after The Montauk Project. Which is a long rumored government experiment.

Sooooo... yeah.
Old 04-03-18, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If that's true, they are idiots. That's like stealing The Legend of Zelda and selling it as "Zelda" hoping no one would notice.
What I'm more getting at is if anyone is going to sue, it would be Preston B. Nichols. He released The Montauk Project, about military experiments on him as a kid and attempts at time travel, back in 1992.

But the whole Montauk thing pre-dates that by a good bit.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-03-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

‘Stranger Things’ Creators “Upset” By Verbal Abuse Allegations, Netflix “Found No Wrongdoing”
http://deadline.com/2018/03/stranger...ns-1202331720/

I wouldn't be surprised if more people come forward with complaints. They kind of came off like dicks to me on the Beyond Stranger Things aftershow. Though, equating this to other things that have come out about other people, is unjust to me.
They seemed perfectly likable to me on that aftershow. In my own work I have experienced how just saying the word 'No' to someone, can be twisted in a snowflake-mind to "He shouted at me!"
Old 04-04-18, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I only saw one after show episode but did come off a bit dickish. But I always assume most of the best directors are. That's how you get the best results by being mean.
Old 04-04-18, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde
They seemed perfectly likable to me on that aftershow. In my own work I have experienced how just saying the word 'No' to someone, can be twisted in a snowflake-mind to "He shouted at me!"
The way they discussed the kiss with Sadie Sink came off a little harsh to me. Almost as if they forget they are dealing with children.

Originally Posted by nando820
I only saw one after show episode but did come off a bit dickish. But I always assume most of the best directors are. That's how you get the best results by being mean.
Yup. Dickish is how I saw them. But you are right. They got what they needed by tricking her.
Old 04-18-18, 08:13 AM

re: Stranger Things -- News, Rumors, Casting, etc. Thread (possible spoilers)

Stranger Things meets Princess Bride? As you wish.

Cary Elwes is set to guest-star as Mayor Kline in Season 3 of the Netflix phenomenon, according to our sister site Deadline. The casting was first announced by Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos.

In addition, recent Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. guest star Jake “son of Gary” Busey has been tapped to play a character by the name of Bruce. No further details about either role have been disclosed at this time.

Elwes is of course best known for his role as Westley in the aforementioned Princess Bride. His TV credits include recurring roles on The X-Files and Psych, as well as a series regular stint on Crackle’s The Art of More. Busey, meanwhile, has been seen in Ray Donovan and From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series.

Production on Stranger Things‘ eight-episode Season 3 is set to commence next month.
http://tvline.com/2018/04/18/strange...3-mayor-kline/
Old 04-18-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Can't wait to see how Cary Elwes dies in this!
Old 04-27-18, 07:57 AM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/94k6kEVGZzg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-27-18, 08:38 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Jake Busey always was a stranger thing, sounds good to me. I'm not sure I've seen Cary Elwes in something since Saw. I think these nostalgia shows are perfect vehicles for nostalgia actors, like Paul Reiser last season.
Old 04-27-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I really hope the recent blind item regarding Sadie is not true...

This barely old enough to drive foreign born actress is probably B+ list. No Disney for her. She is on a fairly hit almost television show as the star. Apparently she had an abortion after one of the producers of the show got her pregnant. She really didn't want to get an abortion but the married producer talked her into it and said she would be fired from the show if she didn't. Sadie Sink (Max/"Stranger Things").

But they have been insinuating Sadie being abused since the show came out.
Old 04-27-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Um she isn't the the star of the show. I wouldn't even say she is B+ list.
Old 04-27-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Jake Busey always was a stranger thing, sounds good to me. I'm not sure I've seen Cary Elwes in something since Saw.
He was recently in the Crackle series The Art of More...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.