TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S8E16) -- Season Finale -- "Wrath" -- 4/15/18

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 07:54 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E16) -- Season Finale -- "Wrath" -- 4/15/18

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
As someone who never bothered with Fear the Walking Dead, is it worth the time to watch one episode for Morgan's exit?
I thought it was. I was pretty much done with Fear as I had no interest in any of the characters, but I think I will continue to record the series and watch the episodes when I feel like it. No need to set aside time on a Sunday night to watch Fear.
Old 04-16-18, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

though it was nice to see that Morgan meets the fear people after the events of the war.
Old 04-16-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
I thought it was. I was pretty much done with Fear as I had no interest in any of the characters, but I think I will continue to record the series and watch the episodes when I feel like it. No need to set aside time on a Sunday night to watch Fear.
I think they're moving toward a soft re-boot of "Fear" this season, with the small time jump and the new characters. I get the feeling they're trying to change things up, and maybe it'll be for the better.

Last edited by DWilson; 04-16-18 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I will predict everyone whining and saying they are done will be back doing the same thing next season.

As for the episode, no it was not great. Negan should have died. I can't imagine that Jeffrey Dean Morgan is going to be satisfied sitting in a cell for the rest of the show. I just don't see that happening. Pretty underwhelming but yea I can see how this could be a series finale. Norman Reedus basically had what an hour or two of screen time the whole season? I agree the cast is too bid and needs to be trimmed. We shall see how they handle all the negative comments about the show and decreasing ratings and if they have learned anything at all this season.
Old 04-16-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Horrible end to a horrible season. Hell, the last 2 seasons have been bad. I think I'm done with this show.
Old 04-16-18, 08:35 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Nope. I'm done. I will not watch next year.

I will only pick up the show again when they announce they are ending and I will catch up via streaming. And that is only if I've heard the show has improved. It is a stretch for me to say I will even do that. But I can't watch this week to week anymore.
Old 04-16-18, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
this season finale served as a series finale for me.

they lost me completely.. Mind you this past season, i was only watching some recaps or reading it. But this now furthers it to not watch at all.

Im sorry but making maggie a villian now?? come on. I can predict this already. The 1st half of the season will be maggie trying to one up rick and then the 1st half finale will be maggie dying by the whisperers. (since she is leaving the show)

the writing is horrible. Holy shit was it bad.
Silly me for thinking this would be an epic conclusion to a war that has taken over 20 episodes to resolve. I felt like the plot was written by a 3rd grader. Eugene saves the day, and suddenly the Saviors are nice people who just want to plant gardens and live in peace? The same people who just moments earlier was sadistically whistling in the woods and ready to butcher everyone? I guess the writers thought they were neatly wrapping up a huge satisfying emotional arch with Rick carrying out Carl's wishes in the end, but it felt amateur hour to me.

Now one emotional beat that did hit me strongly was Maggie's response to keeping Negan alive. That moment actually moved me to tears. I just felt her bottled up grief over Glenn releashed in full and it felt authentic. One of the best performances of the series right there.

Also, did Father Gabriel get his sight back? I'm getting ready tired of the show's ambiguity. I guess the show runners think they are being clever by constantly keeping us in the dark , but it only makes for an unsatisfying show when we have to fill in the blanks. I don't know anyone who has enjoyed Gabriel's storyline.

Last edited by dvdjunkie32; 04-16-18 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by smorbie
I have come to believe forums like this focus only on the negative, not just for this show, but for all shows on television. People tend to come to forums to bitch, but if they're satisfied with the show, they don't have a lot to say.

I'm not criticizing; I do the same exact thing.

And there was a lot of negative in this episode. No one wanted Negan to live; but I think we all knew he was going to. The final battle was a bit of a let down; there was a lot of preparation, but not a lot of fighting. We all expected people to die, but no one we knew did.

I didn't want Dwight to leave, but it looks like Sherry is still alive and he has the promise of seeing her again. That was really the only thing in the world he cared about. And I'm truly, truly sorry to see Morgan go. I hope someone who watches the show will let us know how it goes. I don't want to buy a season pass for it and throw my money away on something I hate as much as I did before.

I guess Maggie will be back next year after all. There was a lot of hype about her doing a new series, but maybe that was all just hype. I hope she'll have the baby by the time next season starts. It looks like we will see a bit of a time jump.

It seems to me the way they are offloading cast members is by dispersing them to different communities. With no central story they could easily just disappear or only show up very occasionally.

Now I'm going to say what I liked about the show. I did like the way the show ended. It looks like the focus going forward is going to be on fighting zombies, which is what most of the people in this forum and others I've visited really want. Sounds dull to me, but...

I've always been interested in the formation of communities and civilizations. We may get a view into that.

I'm glad no one died. I like the whole cast with the exception of Siddiq, or as I call him, Carlkiller.

I'm glad Eugene is back. I, for one, was very surprised he tampered with the bullets. I know people on here predicted it, but I thought he was really angry about being kidnapped by Rosita and Daryl and wanted them all to die, especially since they promised him the exact future they've sentenced Negan to.

As for Negan's wound, Rick made a very narrow cut in his throat, damaging his voice box, but not the jugular vein. He could survive that since they had a doctor nearby (one I HATE).

All in all, I enjoyed the finale. I found it very satisfying and hopeful for the future. I enjoyed the season. I still love the show. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

Many people consider Breaking Bad as the best show ever, at least on AMC. I enjoyed it, too. But after watching it through a couple of times I realized I hated the entire cast with the exception of the baby and Hank. That ruined it for me and I can't ever watch it again. I don't have that problem with this show. I still love most of the cast and can watch the episodes over and over (with a few exceptions, of course). In fact, I think I'll go do that now. Thanks for bearing through this rambling musing.
Thus destroying any credibility you may have had.
Old 04-16-18, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Thus destroying any credibility you may have had.
LOL. To each his own. I just have to be engaged with the characters to invest time in a show. That explains why I only watch two shows and one of them, The Middle, is ending in a week or two.

TBH, I felt the same way about the Sopranos. I hated them all, except the ducks and the bear.
Old 04-16-18, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
this season finale served as a series finale for me.

they lost me completely.. Mind you this past season, i was only watching some recaps or reading it. But this now furthers it to not watch at all.

Im sorry but making maggie a villian now?? come on. I can predict this already. The 1st half of the season will be maggie trying to one up rick and then the 1st half finale will be maggie dying by the whisperers. (since she is leaving the show)

the writing is horrible. Holy shit was it bad.
You are wise to get out now if you aren't enjoying it.
Old 04-16-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I don’t know about that. The predictions kept claiming that they kill Negan, rinse and repeat.
I don't recall that being the case from the majority. Sure maybe a few people here or there oddly thought Negan would die, but from what I've been reading on this forum all season long, most people felt Negan would live and they thought it would be BS if their predictions came true (which it did).

Anyone who either reads the comics or got spoiled by them knew he lived there and most of the big plot points make their way to the series. Then when the actor who plays Carl posted on Twitter that Negan got his throat slit in the finale, comicbook readers pretty much clamored around saying it was definitely following the comic and he was going to live.

In any event, I do not read the comics, and even those not spoiled by them, should have seen it was setting it up for Rick to keep Negan alive ever since they revealed "Carl's wishes".
Old 04-16-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by smorbie
LOL. To each his own. I just have to be engaged with the characters to invest time in a show. That explains why I only watch two shows and one of them, The Middle, is ending in a week or two.

TBH, I felt the same way about the Sopranos. I hated them all, except the ducks and the bear.
To each their own, indeed! I was actually going to put that in my original post.

Regarding the Sopranos, I'd have to agree. They were ALL assholes (maybe possible exceptions of Dr. Melfi, and possibly Meadow?). I still loved the show, though.

Back to The Walking Dead...

It was comical that, once again, the group turned into expert marksmen when they took out the first group of Saviors with single shots. Meanwhile, they couldn't hit a thing with automatic weapons when the Saviors were fleeing Hilltop.
Old 04-16-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
It was comical that, once again, the group turned into expert marksmen when they took out the first group of Saviors with single shots. Meanwhile, they couldn't hit a thing with automatic weapons when the Saviors were fleeing Hilltop.
And Rick showed up to the showdown with like three bullets for his gun... I guess Eugene must have somehow gotten word to him that he wouldn't need it.
Old 04-16-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bralph
And Rick showed up to the showdown with like three bullets for his gun... I guess Eugene must have somehow gotten word to him that he wouldn't need it.
Yep. Said to my wife, 'So I guess Rick never has extra bullets?'

Also, not a single Savior would've fired a shot with the new ammo until they were all surrounding the group?

Anyway, on it goes...
Old 04-16-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I dumbfounded by the ridiculous scenario of the Saviors' weapons all self-destructing at the same time, on the first bullet.

I'm also not buying Jesus being at that meeting at the end. He has gone out of his way to teach numerous characters not to kill. Now he's ok with killing Negan?

I'm tired of the huge cast and no one being killed off. The minor characters take up too much screen time.

on a side note:

Something became very apparent to me last night about the behind the scenes stuff. Knowing how this show has treated it's show runners/talent I believe Gimple was removed as SR not just because of Carl but also Maggie.

They treated Chandler Riggs like shit with his contract and killed his character, and the network has seen nothing but negative news since. Killing Maggie off screen just isn't going to go over well. Gimple messed up yet again with how he ended the finale, writing that character into that position for next season, and I bet AMC wasn't happy about it given her contract was up.

Laura Cohen has AMC by the balls. Good for her.

Last edited by DthRdrX; 04-16-18 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Meh. Didn't hate it, but didn't like it much either. So Jesus took a heel turn quickly, huh? I also didn't like how Daryl can let Dwight walk off into the sunset for all the shit he has done, yet he is pissed about Negan being allowed to live. All of that is stupid shit.
Old 04-16-18, 04:13 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the idea of keeping Negan alive is beyond stupid, if nothing more for the fact that in a world shy of resources you're going to devote a portion of food and clean water to a prisoner?

I cannot think of another show that dropped in quality like this one...
Old 04-16-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I find nothing wrong with keeping him as a prisoner, as that is how society treats criminals.

The problem with what Rick has done is that it's beyond hypocritical and seems foolish that everyone will go along with it. Rick has been his own judge, jury and executioner going back to S2, just like Negan.
Old 04-16-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Angela Kang has her work cut out for her as new showrunner when she and the writers hit the writers room again.

They’ve already lost a huge portion of their TV viewers, so now they need to find a way to re-invent things without causing further ratings erosion and pissing off the hardcore loyal fan base who reads the comics. Plus you have an extremely large cast and the show is not getting cheaper to make now heading into season 9.
Old 04-16-18, 04:22 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know how they do it. This show works best when they are on the move. Seems like there is no reason now to move from their various little communities.
Old 04-16-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Angela Kang has her work cut out for her as new showrunner when she and the writers hit the writers room again.
Hopefully they've been at it awhile already. On Talking Dead last night, Andrew Lincoln said he is supposed to be back on set today.
Old 04-16-18, 04:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I can get why Maggie is pissed at the end of the episode, and can even see Daryl siding with her, especially as he likely feels responsible for starting the cascade that led to Glen and Abraham's deaths, but Jesus? hasn't he been preaching peace (especially with Morgan) this entire time? seems out of character for him to be part of a trio who will conspire to kill Negan and also make Rick and Michonne "pay". Am I missing something?
Old 04-16-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Yeah they got renewed for season 9 back in January when Kang was also named new showrunner. So they’ve been in the writers room at least 3+ months now.

I don’t doubt that the writers and producers along AMC saw the onslaught of negative feedback from season 7 and the first half of season 8. Plus they have to be concerned with the ratings erosion. But the show is 8 years old now. Ratings will drop and too many episodes have gone by to pick up new viewers now.
Old 04-16-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I don't know how they do it. This show works best when they are on the move. Seems like there is no reason now to move from their various little communities.
Fully agree. I don't mind that they stick around for a while at some place, since that's what most people would want - some sort of stability. But they've been at Alexandria since midway through S5 - that's 3.5 seasons at the same basic location. If they intend to reduce the cast, I think that's a good time to start hitting the road.

Originally Posted by TGM
I can get why Maggie is pissed at the end of the episode, and can even see Daryl siding with her, especially as he likely feels responsible for starting the cascade that led to Glen and Abraham's deaths, but Jesus? hasn't he been preaching peace (especially with Morgan) this entire time? seems out of character for him to be part of a trio who will conspire to kill Negan and also make Rick and Michonne "pay". Am I missing something?
I didn't get it either. Very little in this show makes sense.
Old 04-16-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

For nearly the entire shows run, Carl was a character who continually made bad decisions and kept having to be rescued (usually by plot armor) as a result. He then dies because of one of these bad decisions and suddenly to the rest of the characters he somehow is now some godly messiah who has all the right answers and knows the path that is best to the point everyone is practically repeating over and over "What Would Carl Do?" like the Jesus bracelets/bumperstickers of old.

The scene at the end with the real Jesus (lol) makes no sense for his character either as others have pointed out because this entire season he's been preaching forgiveness and to not kill anyone (also wtf was up with him suddenly being a martial artist capable of kicking Morgans butt a few episodes back???) yet they suddenly show him in a meeting of people pissed that Negan wasn't killed. Or is he just going along for the ride right now and hopes to talk some sense into them or give a warning to Rick about it?

In any event, seems like Maggie will be leaving the show one way or another next season, especially if she forces Ricks hand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.