Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost in Space (Netflix) -- Season 1 Thread -- premieres 4/13/18

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Lost in Space (Netflix) -- Season 1 Thread -- premieres 4/13/18

For those complaining about being planet-side for an entire season, I suggest you go back and look at the original episodes before complaining. Season 3 was the only one that really moved the Robinsons around. Season 1 was spent entirely on one planet and season two was spent entirely on another.
Old 04-23-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Was falling asleep during the 1st ep and stopped it to watch something else. I'll have to resume later. I'm hoping it gets better.
Old 04-23-18, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I liked it. I was thinking as it went along that the entire series could have taken place without the Dr Smith character. Then essentially it would have been a story about space exploration and colonization. Probably would have been a better show.
Old 04-23-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts

Finished it last night. Overall, I enjoyed it (even though I thought the first episode slogged along too slowly). I'll always love the original; my childhood was brightened by it! But for a remake it was worthy of the name (unlike the movie! )

I usually don't get too caught up in things that "don't seem right" and will suspend belief to allow the story to be told, but in the last episode ...
Spoiler:
when Don had something in his eye ... WTF! That was just silly!
Old 04-23-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I liked it. I was thinking as it went along that the entire series could have taken place without the Dr Smith character.
I liked it as well but agree Dr. Smith was fucking annoying. Every episode there she was being shady for the sake of being shady. Also the family dynamic could've been stronger. Anyway, production value was high and it felt cinematic.
Old 05-01-18, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

was anyone else hoping the robot would snap and kill Will Robinson by the last episode?

I enjoyed the show overall but I was a bit annoyed by the overacting from will robinson. I look forward to next season though!
Old 05-04-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just finished this I was hoping they were going a different route with this and have the whole Colony lost in space. I guess they kinda did, but well, you know....

Overall it was ok. I'll watch S2 if there is one. Not "must see" TV yet though...
Old 05-14-18, 09:29 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Renewed: http://tvline.com/2018/05/14/lost-in...son-2-netflix/
Old 05-14-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I finished the season and think it's ok but overall disappointing. Even though the original tv series is ultra-cheesy and doesn't hold up well and the 1998 movie is not very good either, I really did have higher expectations for this because it could've been great.

The writing overall was not very good. Nothing really compelling about a lot of the plots. Why not mine the old tv series for plot ideas from different episode and remake those with better production values? Instead it seemed to just do a lot of what I call "crisis padding" by inventing some BS crisis that has to be resolved, but then is followed by another BS crisis, and another. It all just seemed like a lot of padding to stretch about 2 hours worth of actual material to 10 hours.

Probably the worst crisis padding was the fuel part in the last few episodes. So they get still-good fuel from a crashed Jupiter ship but spill most of it in a crisis pad scene. So there's enough for a stripped down ship to take off, but that mission fails, stranding the 2 men in orbit with little air and needing rescue. But then they miraculously find some space bat guano that can fuel all the Jupiter ships, basically making the previous spilled fuel & stripped-down ship plot a complete waste of time and just an excuse for more crisis padding to rescue their men.

The most disappointing thing in the show was Parker Posey as Dr. Smith. I'm a fan of Posey and was looking forward to seeing her in this, but it just didn't work. The original Dr. Smith was more of a self-centered scaredy-cat coward. Posey's version is more like a borderline psychopath who is too dangerous to keep around. She needs to be taken out to "look at the flowers" like Lizzie in "The Walking Dead" before she gets more people killed.

I think the best thing in the show is the robot which was a great re-imagining of the tv show's classic robot. And the whole robot being torn between being good or bad, between being like Will or like Dr. Smith, reminded me of the robot in "The Iron Giant".

But the show does have promise, so hopefully it gets better in future seasons.
Old 05-14-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I liked S1 more than I suspected. And I loved the original series.
Old 05-14-18, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dhmac

The most disappointing thing in the show was Parker Posey as Dr. Smith. I'm a fan of Posey and was looking forward to seeing her in this, but it just didn't work. The original Dr. Smith was more of a self-centered scaredy-cat coward. Posey's version is more like a borderline psychopath who is too dangerous to keep around. She needs to be taken out to "look at the flowers" like Lizzie in "The Walking Dead" before she gets more people killed.
Dude.
Old 05-16-18, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rw2516
The inspiration is Swiss Family Robinson. They were stranded on an island, not at sea. The comic book Space Family Robinson began a few years before the tv show in 1962. After the tv show the title of the comic was changed to Space Family Robinson-Lost in Space. Being stranded in one place is just being faithful to source material.
Was interested in seeing reactions since we're considering doing a free trial month. If the producers had wanted to be really original, they'd have gone all the way back to the SFR comic created by legendary Duck Man Carl Barks. Replacing the secondary cast with twins Tim and Yam would have been a bold move but likely a death knell.

Interesting to hear the numerous comments about bratty kids and squabbles. I always wondered why hand-picked crews would include people who are conflict-prone with one another (other than the obvious manufactured drama for tv).
Old 06-12-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I really liked this show. The set designs, production values and much (not all) of the science was somewhat decent. It was a little too episodic and "peril of the week" focused but there was a lot good here. The robot is exceptional and really interesting and there is obviously a lot more to mine there and discover. The planet was kinda cool. The backstory of found alien technology is interesting and can be a rich source of story going forward.

The big problem with the show is Parker Posey. The character did not work. She is a complete and utter psychopath. To be honest, the show would have been better if mom had just spaced her in the final episode and just went forward without her.

Still it was fresh, I am really looking forward to a second season.
Old 06-14-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts

We enjoyed it, from the tense family squabbles to the hammy acting choices made by Parker Posey to Will's character behaving like a genuine little boy rather than some sort of genius hero. We consider the scripted horrific engineering and design failures to be comedic relief.

And Molly Parker...

Old 06-19-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rolled my eyes into lower Earth orbit when they lifted the fuel tank needed to save the entire colony in order to save the one kid pinned under it. Even if you make the terrible decision to lift the tank, either a) lift it just enough to pull the kid and then drop it back down so the rock plugs the hole again, or b) quickly devise a plan to plug the hole with materials they have available.

I can allow for the kids making terrible decisions, but the adults going along with them are idiots.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 06-19-18 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When
Spoiler:
the ship that John and Don were piloting exploded
I actually became invested in the show for the first time. I thought, wow, they have some guts to actually do that. Talk about a dark turn! Then, of course, they undid it.

But I liked the last two episodes. I thought they were really well-done and I'm interested to see where season two takes us. But the lead-up to it was kind of brutal. I've got to imagine they'll somehow find a way to
Spoiler:
link back up with the Resolute, given that they've taken the time to introduce characters the audience ostensibly is supposed to care about (I like Hiroki and his family, at least).
Old 06-24-18, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I though this was pretty good.
Old 07-29-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Binged this over the last few days. Had my doubts going in, but was pleasantly surprised. Really enjoyed it.
Old 10-18-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Wrapped up Ep 9 last night and find Doctor Smith insufferable. I can't stand the character and having seen Posey on Fallon, I can't stand the person. I'm hoping they'll find a way to kill her off in S2 but I know better.
Old 10-18-18, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Netflix probably paid big bucks for Posey so she's not going anywhere. Would have been fine without her.
Old 10-18-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Netflix probably paid big bucks for Posey so she's not going anywhere. Would have been fine without her.
They should kill her off. The way she was written she was a truly evil psychopath, which is not interesting.
Old 10-19-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The original Dr. Smith was a much more interesting character. He seemed to be always looking out for himself but it was due in large part to him being afraid of everything. He also had some redeeming qualities and he genuinely cared about Will. Posey's Smith is just an asshat.
Old 01-01-19, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FINALLY got around to this series.

WAAAAY too much melodrama and seriously slow paced (no thanks to all of the flashbacks).
Exceedingly dumb characters in the crew...not for a moment did I believe any of them could be astronauts.

The only surprise was Posey as a nasty, charmless Dr. Smith.

Big disappointment from NF.
One episode + 10 minutes and done.
Old 01-01-19, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
Filming on the first season took around seven months and then there's post-production, including the impressive CG work, which adds another few months. At best, we could expect to see a second season towards the end of 2019 or, more likely, April 2020.

If it takes 2 years to bring S2 I'll need to re-watch S1 just to remember what occurred. I may even if it's at the end of 2019. I'm not sure what they'd do if they had to produce 26 episodes every year like they used to.
Old 01-01-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I thought Posey was fine in the beginning, but she became my most hated character pretty quickly. I hoped she would have been killed off or left somewhere, but didn't really expect it.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the show, and will likely watch a second season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.