Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S8E15) -- "Worth" -- 4/8/18

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E15) -- "Worth" -- 4/8/18

^Let's hope that's a good thing, and not just hype to get people to tune in.
Old 04-11-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The finale will be a conclusion for the first 8 seasons:
http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/11/the-walk..._medium=social

Great! Will make it even easier to bail after Sunday.
Spoiler:
Seems like a confirmation of the time jump between seasons.
Old 04-11-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The finale will be a conclusion for the first 8 seasons:
http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/11/the-walk..._medium=social

Great! Will make it even easier to bail after Sunday.
This show will be very much a new show next year and with a bigger, new narrative.
Do you think he is watching Westworld? Will this be the Revileries that they have been talking about with investors for years?
Old 04-11-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Listening to Bald Move’s Watching Dead podcast ... and they have announced they are done. That kills off the second of the two Walking Dead podcasts that I listened to.

Haven’t read that EW article yet ... sounds like a soft reboot with lots of actors not returning though.
Old 04-11-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, they would probably rather not promote other networks' programs on Talking Dead.

They probably could have censored it, though. They censored several sentences from Christian Serratos.
Agreed that they dont want to promote another show, but I have to think that Hardwick is most likely a huge GOT fan. As to the censoring of Christian, I had the feeling that she was dropping some curse words.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Spoiler:
Seems like a confirmation of the time jump between seasons.
If true, I have been waiting for that. Curious to see how the story shakes out
Spoiler:
with Carl being such a big part of the storyline in the comics
Old 04-11-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I'm not reading the spoilers, so don't know if this has been mentioned within them, but what about that helicopter? Surely that's got to play into the finale, otherwise what was the point of it?
Old 04-11-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I'm not reading the spoilers, so don't know if this has been mentioned within them, but what about that helicopter? Surely that's got to play into the finale, otherwise what was the point of it?
lazy script writing?
Old 04-11-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

LOL @ Gimple claiming S9 TWD and S4 FTWD can be watched without seeing anything prior.
As-if ignoring previous seasons will somehow magically improve the writing going forward for the show.
Old 04-11-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
If the helicopter represents what I think it does, then it will be more of a season nine or ten thing, depending on how they adapt the comic book storylines.

I would reckon that the helicopter and Georgie (the woman in the van who wanted music albums) are both part of the same "thing."

If I wanted to draw a connection, I'd say Jadis might have been making art for the same people who wanted music albums in exchange for Ikea furniture.

If Georgie and the helicopter are, indeed, from the interest I think they're from, then they're introducing these people differently than the comic book did.

If any of this plays into the finale, I wouldn't expect more than something like a post-credits scene.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-11-18 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I figure Georgie and the real Jadis (not the person she was pretending to be the weird way of speaking) are both part of the story we will get next season. I don't imagine either of them being a big part of the finale short of a teaser at the end.
Old 04-11-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There are reports out there that say
Spoiler:
"The Whisperers War"
is not happening next season, or perhaps not at all. Gimple previously said we would get hints of that this season, but damn if I saw them.

It seems:

Spoiler:
'All Out War' was so devastating to the ratings/brand that they don't want to follow up with another long drawn out war. This would also explain how they get around that story without Carl. Everything next season seems to be, "let's try a new direction."
Old 04-11-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Spoiler:
'All Out War' was so devastating to the ratings/brand that they don't want to follow up with another long drawn out war. This would also explain how they get around that story without Carl. Everything next season seems to be, "let's try a new direction."
Spoiler:
Given the number of skinned walkers that made an appearance I belief people were right that they were setting things up just as they previously did the "W" markings before the Wolves showed up. The key seems to be that they changed their mind (if they did) for possibly the reason you posted.
Old 04-11-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are correct. I do remember that now. I think it is coming ... but will be pushed back a bit. That story would come across MUCH worse than the current one if they don't do it correctly.
Old 04-11-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are correct. I do remember that now. I think it is coming ... but will be pushed back a bit. That story would come across MUCH worse than the current one if they don't do it correctly.
Well if they don't launch into immediately, I'm not sure there is any point of doing it at all. Which is why I agree that the far more likely scenario is them going with a different arc that involves Georgie and/or Jadis.
Old 04-11-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

There are reports out there that say
Spoiler:
"The Whisperers War"
is not happening next season, or perhaps not at all. Gimple previously said we would get hints of that this season, but damn if I saw them.

It seems:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If they launched right into another 40 or 50 episode “war” arc that would destroy the show. It’s not specifically the “war” theme that would do it, it’s that everything gets so unbelievably drug out I don’t think people would tolerate the start of another season’s worth of story arc stretched out taffy-like for another three years that is barely different than the one that just mercifully ended.
Old 04-11-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The "war" with the Governor and his group was pretty well received. So the show can do it well. If what many people are thinking will happen...
Spoiler:
Negan survies! Then the problem was how to create tension and excitement knowing that there things that you can't do given Negan was going to survive all of it. Maybe it's as simple as that story comes off better in comic form when you don't have season of episodes to fill.
Old 04-11-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well if they don't launch into immediately, I'm not sure there is any point of doing it at all. Which is why I agree that the far more likely scenario is them going with a different arc that involves Georgie and/or Jadis.
There is another rumor about that story arc being moved over the Fear TWD.
Old 04-12-18, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you watch the ads for Dread, you will see walkers that look very much like the Whispers. My guess is that story line has been moved to try to pick up the ratings for that show.
Old 04-12-18, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "war" with the Governor and his group was pretty well received. So the show can do it well. If what many people are thinking will happen...
Spoiler:
Negan survies! Then the problem was how to create tension and excitement knowing that there things that you can't do given Negan was going to survive all of it. Maybe it's as simple as that story comes off better in comic form when you don't have season of episodes to fill.
Indeed, the war with the Governer in S4/S5 (was it?) was well received. I don't think that it's long "wars" that cause ratings to drop, it's the poor quality of the show overall. The source material (comic) for the Negan/Saviors arc is outstanding, they just really messed it up on the show. It doesn't mean that they can't do potential future wars correctly.

People cared about the war with the Governor because the characters were well liked, developed, established. Now there's tons of people you've seen for a year or two but don't know their names because they're not really important, they're mainly in the background as helpers to Euzekiel or someone else, or people at the oceanside, garbage people, Negan's people, etc. There are people who's name you remember, like Tara, Gabriel, that stupid kid, and various others, who are terrible characters, and then the more important ones like Rick, Michone, etc.

They really messed-up by not properly establishing the important characters from Alexandria/Hilltop/Kingdom seasons ago, now even Jesus is of little importance. Why would you care? They spend twice as much time on the useless oceanside and garbage storylines than show you how valuable Paul (Jesus) is, how smart and important Eugene should be, etc. At least they showed Dwight enough to get a sense of the character and how Negan burned him, pun intended, and plenty as well on Gregory.

Last edited by Luds; 04-12-18 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

“War” as a backdrop can make for great storytelling if done right. Gimple & co. botched the “All Out War” storyline though. The reference to “all out” means all of the colonies are engaged: Alexandria, Hilltop, The Kingdom, The Sanctuary, the junkyard, Oceanside ... everybody. While technically this was the case, the showrunners merely used the colonies as set dressing as they continued to shovel the Rick Grimes shit-show down our throats with massive side-orders of reheated-for-the-sixth-time morality leftovers and stale character beats.

I haven’t read that far in the comics, so I don’t know about the source material, but AOW was an opportunity to take the show the next level. They keep trying to claim it is a soap opera, but they can’t manage the multiple storylines needed to be a soap opera.

I really hope they use this time jump to seriously reboot the show’s direction.
Old 04-12-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Koby
LOL @ Gimple claiming S9 TWD and S4 FTWD can be watched without seeing anything prior.
As-if ignoring previous seasons will somehow magically improve the writing going forward for the show.
At this point, I think the shows HAVE to go in that direction. They have dug such a deep hole that they can’t expect fans to come back unless they don’t have to work through the backlog. Most new viewers won’t pick a show up in its 9th season either. They backed themselves into corner and this is really the only way out.
Old 04-12-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Just an opinion of a fan who bailed last season, had the saviors war not been a rehash of the Governor war I wouldn't have bailed.
Old 04-14-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-15-18, 11:58 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
It's interesting that the show peaked in viewership in the episode when Glenn died, but I think a few people have argued here that the show itself jumped the shark when they faked Glenn's death. I tend to agree with that.