Killing Eve (BBC America, AMC) -- S: Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer -- Premieres 4/8/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Killing Eve (BBC America, AMC) -- S: Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer -- Premieres 4/8/18

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 07:13 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
re: Killing Eve (BBC America, AMC) -- S: Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer -- Premieres 4/8/18

BBC AMERICA's Killing Eve will return for its highly-anticipated second season on Sunday, April 7th at 8pm/7c, the network announced today. Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer reprise their critically-acclaimed performances as Eve (Oh), an MI6 operative, and psychopath assassin Villanelle (Comer) in this story of two women, bound by a mutual obsession and one brutal act. Beginning just after the end of the final episode of season one, Villanelle has disappeared, and Eve is left reeling, having no idea if the woman she stabbed is alive or dead. With both of them in deep trouble, Eve has to find Villanelle before someone else does... but unfortunately, she's not the only person looking for her. Killing Eve finished out 2018 as the top drama on Metacritic's "TV Shows Mentioned On Most Critic Top 10 Lists - 2018." The series is produced by Sid Gentle Films Ltd.
8 episode Season 2. It will air on both BBC America and AMC.
Old 04-07-19, 08:01 PM

Re: Killing Eve (BBC America, AMC) -- S: Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer -- Premieres 4/8/18

Holy shit.
Old 04-08-19, 11:58 AM

Re: Killing Eve (BBC America, AMC) -- S: Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer -- Premieres 4/8/18

Old 04-10-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Can we all just pause for a moment and admire Jodie Comer in the kid's pajamas?

Last edited by Paff; 04-10-19 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I really could take or leave this show, but that one surprise moment was a stunner in season two's opening episode.
Old 04-11-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

What moment do you mean? Are you talking about

Spoiler:
when she killed the kid? My wife and I saw that a mile away. Wife even called that she was gonna snap his neck.
Old 04-11-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
What moment do you mean? Are you talking about

Spoiler:
when she killed the kid? My wife and I saw that a mile away. Wife even called that she was gonna snap his neck.
Yes. Comer is great at playing an absolute psychopath.
Old 04-12-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea I seriously can NOT figure out what Comer hasn't been nominated and Sandra gets the nod and wins. Comer acts circles around her in this show. Her character IS the show.
Old 04-12-19, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Yea I seriously can NOT figure out what Comer hasn't been nominated and Sandra gets the nod and wins. Comer acts circles around her in this show. Her character IS the show.
Stop caring so much about awards. You think Comer's giving the better performance? Then just appreciate it. Awards have too much politics behind them and aren't an objective measurement on who's the better actor.
Old 04-13-19, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Comer was a nobody before this show. Award pushes by a studio's marketing team often get behind the more recognizable name, which is definitely Sandra Oh in this case.
Old 04-13-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marathoned the first season and up to date with S2. Really liking this show.

About the actors. Both are great. I never watched Gray's Anatomy so I haven't watched much of Sandra Oh. I think she's great here. Comer is great too. Both are complex characters, Comer character could be "easier" but if she's not careful it could become a caricature (the "don't go full retard" rule). So far she's been perfect.
Sandra Oh's character looks simpler but it can be more complex if you truly analyze it. I marathoned the show, but I still could see how she grew the character, with help of the writers of course, and she, they, also run the risk of becoming a cartoon.

So, why the show is so good? For me, it's that battle (love/hate) between both of them. Yes, the killings, the 12, etc. that's just stuff around the main meal.

At the same time, how long can they go? It's 3 seasons the perfect size?
Old 04-29-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone still watching?

I'm enjoying the hell out of this, just as much as (if not more than) Season 1. I love the addition of Carolyn's boss, and I also like the dynamic of Ghost. If they just made the show about Eve chasing Villanelle (or vice/versa) it could get stale. Villanelle's jealousy of Ghost is a great way to keep the story interesting. And that killing in the Dutch brothel was among the funniest/nastiest moments of the show yet.
Old 04-30-19, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

The Dutch brothel scene was just brutal and you know if that happened in real life that people would just watch and live stream it and not think it was real.
Old 04-30-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While we're discussing Dutch brutality, I looked up the painting that Villanelle was so infatuated with: The Corpses of the DeWitt Brothers. That is some nasty shit there on its own.
Old 04-30-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I'm enjoying this show.

Jodie Comer definitely steals the show. She makes the character fun and quirky, even though she's pretty much a ruthless killer.
I heard she was good in The White Princess as well.

I didn't think much of her looks-wise the first couple episodes, but with each episode I'm finding her more and more attractive. She has a really nice face, and her cans ain't half bad either.

The odd thing is that Villanelle is Russian and speaks English with a heavy accent, but she'll change her accent to a Brit speaking perfect English (her real speaking voice) for her disguise. Seems like if you can speak perfect English (with or a without a British accent), you would speak that way all the time.
Old 04-30-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I didn't think much of her looks-wise the first couple episodes, but with each episode I'm finding her more and more attractive. She has a really nice face, and her cans ain't half bad either.
Well, I won't use slang terms to describe her body, one thing I found interesting was in the pilot episode how the witness mentioned (in Polish) that the assassin was "flat-chested", which I thought Jodie Comer is anything but. I figured at the time that it was just another example of impossibly high standards that some people have (just like how in the threads here dedicated to posting images of attractive actresses, if the person pictured is not incredibly curvy there are posters here who will derogatorily refer to her as looking like a "12 year old boy"). But upon a rewatch of the ep, I noticed that when Villanelle returns to her flat she took off her disguise, and one of the articles of clothing she removed was some kind of garment that bound up her chest. I guess I missed that the first time around.

The odd thing is that Villanelle is Russian and speaks English with a heavy accent, but she'll change her accent to a Brit speaking perfect English (her real speaking voice) for her disguise. Seems like if you can speak perfect English (with or a without a British accent), you would speak that way all the time.
Yeah, I've noticed that too, but I guess the Russian-accented English is "natural". Or it's just artistic license. I remember watching a movie that took place in Russia (based on true people and events), and all the characters spoke English to one another, but with a Russian accent. I thought, in the real events I'm sure they didn't speak English to one another, they spoke Russian. So if you're gonna throw away authenticity like that, why have them even have accents at all??
Old 05-05-19, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The second season has maintained a far higher level of quality episode to episode. The first season was a bit overrated and its subject matter helped sell the show. It's now starting to earn some of its acclaim.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 05-27-19 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not familiar with the source material but this season has been fun. The idea of Vil working with MI6 is beyond silly but the character interactions are excellent.
Old 05-14-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ You know, I thought that at first too. I thought it was just poetic license, that the idea of Eve always chasing Villanelle but coming up short would become stale. Plus, you want Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer on screen together.

But then you start to think, what would happen in real life? Would MI6 want to kill or apprehend Villanelle, or would they really prefer her to just work for them? And I think that's been Carolyn's goal all along. Eve is just bait. You might point out that Villanelle killed Bill (heh heh), but that's an acceptable loss for Carolyn. Eve is too, if it comes to that.

So it's not as silly as you think it is, once you look at it.
Old 05-14-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this past episode gives us the impression that Carolyn is a sociopath as well. I liked the scene when she was fencing and gave no care for the fact that the girls handler was killed.
Old 05-14-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that Carolyn and Konstantin have a romantic relationship makes it not surprising at all that she'd want Villanelle working for her.
Old 05-14-19, 01:36 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Jodie's actual accent is Scouse ( she's from Liverpool ) I had no idea until I saw her Bafta award acceptance speech where she thanked Stephen Graham ( from the latest Line of Duty ) another Liverpool born actor
Old 05-17-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought her American accent wasn't that great in the group therapy session.
Old 05-27-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Certainly a lot of developments in the season finale. I'm guessing they knew in advance they were getting renewed.

The only thing I didn't like was the very final scene - everyone knows the character that got shot will invariably survive. There is absolutely no dramatic threat of actual death.
Old 05-28-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the finale. The reveal that everything that happened was actually Carolyn's intention from the start was pretty cold, and explained a lot (why they had an untrained agent and an assassin they were previously pursuing now working for them). In a way, it reminded me a little of old episodes of Archer, where ISIS was hired BECAUSE it was expected they'd F it up.

As for the "cliffhanger", my guess is the victim was wearing a bulletproof vest, and season 3 will pick up at the exact same scene.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.