Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Great show. Something I missed and haven't had time to go back yet...

Why did Homelander get all pissed off when they were filming in his old house and someone left that blanket on the bed? What was the significance of that?
Old 08-20-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by The Cow
Great show. Something I missed and haven't had time to go back yet...

Why did Homelander get all pissed off when they were filming in his old house and someone left that blanket on the bed? What was the significance of that?
It wasn't his house. It was a manufactured story to make him seem more human and appeal to the fans more. He didn't have a proper childhood. That blanket is possibly the only thing of his younger years that still exists and it reminds him of of all the bad memories of being confined and unloved and used as a science experiment in which the person who did everything deems him a failure.
Old 08-20-19, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Ah, well I certainly zoned out for that setup. Thanks!!
Old 08-20-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Ah, well I certainly zoned out for that setup. Thanks!!
If I remember there was no "setup" but a later reveal showed the truth, but I could be wrong. Will need to watch again. Best super hero show ever IMO. One of my favorite shows ever as well.
Old 08-20-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
It wasn't his house. It was a manufactured story to make him seem more human and appeal to the fans more. He didn't have a proper childhood. That blanket is possibly the only thing of his younger years that still exists and it reminds him of of all the bad memories of being confined and unloved and used as a science experiment in which the person who did everything deems him a failure.
On the contrary, I think his blanket is something he covets because it's from his past, because later he took it out and held it. His outrage was it being used at all to give legitimacy to the fake story because it was so dear to him (though why he doesn't keep it with him is not explained).

I did like that explanation... that he should have grown up more like Superman and because he didn't, he got screwed up. Presumably that's why the surprise at the end was the way it was, though now that's screwed up.
Old 08-20-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Do things pick up after episode 2? I was only able to make it through the first 2 so far and I haven't felt any urgent need to keep watching. I guess I don't get the point. The CIA wants to kill all the superheroes or something...
Old 08-20-19, 08:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

if you aren't hooked by now, just move along, it's clearly not for you and there is enough other content to watch.
Old 08-21-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The concept isn't that difficult. It's basically superheroes in corporate America.

One corporation basically owns/manages all the superpowered people in the world, including the world's Justice League. Their agenda is to get supes into the military so they can get a fat military contract and overtake all the other military contractors. On the opposing side are "the Boys" which are a bunch of people who for one reason or another are disgruntled with Supes and have a vendetta against them; they are mostly rogue ex-CIA agents. You get a new member of each opposing faction to introduce you to the sides from a fresh perspective: the naive superhero and the regular guy who just suffered a great loss because of what seemed like superhero carelessness.

Looking back on the first few episodes, what the whole first arc which introduced Hughie to the gang was a bit over the top, I can see why people would be turned off by that because while the dude was a jerk I don't remember a concrete reason to do what they did to him. Hardly self defense at that point, and it's not like we find out that he's even involved in the rest of the stuff that goes down.
Old 08-21-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Transluscent wasn't totally innocent. He assaulted Hughie in the electronics store, and looked like he was ready to kill him. He also sort of forced Hughie's hand when he detonated the ass bomb. If Hughie had let him go, the rest of the Seven would have tracked him down and killed him and his father.
Old 08-21-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Transluscent wasn't totally innocent. He assaulted Hughie in the electronics store, and looked like he was ready to kill him. He also sort of forced Hughie's hand when he detonated the ass bomb. If Hughie had let him go, the rest of the Seven would have tracked him down and killed him and his father.
He assaulted him in the store because he saw him with the bug, so it's not like Hughie was innocent in that. Granted they're all jerks with a god complex and he probably would have had killed him right there, but it went out of the realm of self defense and into cold blooded, calculated murder with the way it went down.
Spoiler:
Starlight
was right, he is a murderer. I guess that's a decent parallel between what went down there and what happened at the end with A-Train, and how different Hughie was.
Old 08-21-19, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Translucent was also a perv, who sexually harassed his female co-workers by spying and standing nude around them. I wouldn't be surprised if he had other skeletons in his closet like everyone else in the show.
Old 08-21-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Translucent was also a perv, who sexually harassed his female co-workers by spying and standing nude around them. I wouldn't be surprised if he had other skeletons in his closet like everyone else in the show.
You judge, but would any of us do any differently with that same power?
Old 08-21-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, anyone have any theories about the fly that they obviously intentionally put into some scenes, complete with buzzing sound effects? They never really mentioned it in the season but they obviously placed it.
Old 08-21-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
BTW, anyone have any theories about the fly that they obviously intentionally put into some scenes, complete with buzzing sound effects? They never really mentioned it in the season but they obviously placed it.
There are some rumors online based on a character in the comic, but I tried to avoid details (as I haven't read the comic, and don't want to now because the show was so good - don't want to spoil season 2)
Old 08-21-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I definitely noticed it and it was pretty apparent it was there intentionally, but I have no clue what it might represent. Like Big Boy Laroux I try to avoid spoilers for shows I am watching.
Old 08-21-19, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I definitely noticed it and it was pretty apparent it was there intentionally, but I have no clue what it might represent. Like Big Boy Laroux I try to avoid spoilers for shows I am watching.
Unfortunately I Googled it (don't do it) and had the plot spoiled.

Old 08-21-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is nothing in the comic that would spoil much about any kind of fly that I can think of. I'm curious what the spoiler was. The show diverged a ton from the comic (and for the better too, the comic is really depraved and gross at times) so besides maybe the background of the other Boys (and I really doubt they keep the MM origin story) and especially Black Noir, I'm not sure there's much plot wise to spoil, let alone with this fly thing.

I avoid spoilers too, but I figured they'd at least reference it in season 1. The only thing I saw online was a theory that it was used when someone was BSing or lying, but that seems a bit obvious.
Old 08-28-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just finished this show and it was awesome.
Old 08-28-19, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just finished this show and it was awesome.
That seems to pretty much be the consensus around here...
Old 08-28-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by melasnus
That seems to pretty much be the consensus around here...
And I have a Kindle Unlimited subscription, so I will be barreling through the graphic novels. There's like 72 issues of it.
Old 08-29-19, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And I have a Kindle Unlimited subscription, so I will be barreling through the graphic novels. There's like 72 issues of it.
Just lower your expectations a bit. The comic leans more towards just over the top grossness. It all has a point but it's much more vulgar than the show, if you can believe that.
Old 08-29-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just lower your expectations a bit. The comic leans more towards just over the top grossness. It all has a point but it's much more vulgar than the show, if you can believe that.
Oh wow. Here thought getting killed by having a hot chick
Spoiler:
sit on my face
was bad...
Old 08-29-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh wow. Here thought getting killed by having a hot chick
Spoiler:
sit on my face
was bad...
Oh trust me. I think fairly early on you get to the Batman analogue (not Black Noir, the other one) and his "problem" then you get to the X-men analogue, then what the heroes really do when they have a cosmic crossover.
Old 08-29-19, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I'm sort of disappointed that they didn't have "Oh Father" (the superhero priest) and his twelve youthful sidekicks at the "Believe" convention...

Spoiler:

Between Jeffrey Epstein and the Catholic Church scandal, it's very topical.
Old 08-29-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Not sure if this has been asked in this thread yet, but does anyone else think that Starlight
Spoiler:
is pregnant by Hughie? When she was throwing up, that's the first thing I thought.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.