Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

I'm surprised it beat Jack Ryan just due to that being a more universal theme.
Old 08-09-19, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

The baby scene was still the best by far.

Nobody has discussed the use of practical effects in the show which is amazing (and disgusting).
Old 08-09-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I'm surprised it beat Jack Ryan just due to that being a more universal theme.
we don't know that it did beat it. they said "one of the most", so Ryan could still be tops.
Old 08-10-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

So do we know, based on the last episode:

Spoiler:
whether Butcher's wife was raped or she cheated on him because back then she was really star struck?

I guess we will find out a definitive in season 2 maybe?
Old 08-10-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
So do we know, based on the last episode:

Spoiler:
whether Butcher's wife was raped or she cheated on him because back then she was really star struck?

I guess we will find out a definitive in season 2 maybe?
Spoiler:
Judging by the security footage, it looks like she cheated on Butcher
Old 08-10-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Spoiler:
That's what I got too.
Old 08-10-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If she cheated, why exit the room so disheveled? Cheaters usually try to hide it. If she didn't cheat, then she's trying to cover it up by deliberately giving the impression Homelander raped her.
Old 08-10-19, 10:04 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm upto Episode 5 (trying to drag it out and savour it)

Best new show for a long time

Going to be hard to watch the arrowverse shows after this

Every performance is top notch
Old 08-11-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Neat seeing a lot of scenes filmed in my city.
So many damn shows and movies filmed here, I'm wearing out the pause/ rewind buttons when watching stuff to recognize the locations.

I chuckled when Giancarlo Esposito's character said he was taking a vacation to Belize. That couldn't have been a coincidence.
Old 08-13-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Done. Great show really great.

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Finished it last night.

I only have one minor gripe...
Spoiler:
Once Stillwell and the other Corporate Guy couldn’t get their stories straight, I knew that Butcher’s wife and kid had survived.
My gripe as well. I didn't care for the ending at all. Pretty obvious
Spoiler:
she cheated.
My take anyway.
Old 08-13-19, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d2cheer

Spoiler:
she cheated.
My take anyway.
We don't know this. All we know is Homelander is such a sociopath, he is capable of anything, including extorting/forcing any woman to have sex with him.
Old 08-13-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
. All we know is Homelander is such a sociopath, he is capable of anything.
And THAT is what makes him so fascinating.
The menace is a tangible thing.
Kudos to the actor and his brilliant realization of the character.
Homelander is one of the scariest guys to hit the screen in a very long time.
Old 08-14-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer

Spoiler:
she cheated.
My take anyway.
I don't think that is obvious at all. In fact, I think they made it slightly vague on purpose. My take from the scene in question is actually the opposite of yours, but I am sure we will find out soon enough.
Old 08-14-19, 04:29 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Homelander is truly terrifying. Even tho I really liked Banshee, I always thought Antony Starr was a rather mediocre actor. But holy shit, he is amazing in this.
Old 08-14-19, 06:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

just finished, great show and a great ending, show of the summer for sure....
Old 08-15-19, 04:25 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Homelander is truly terrifying. Even tho I really liked Banshee, I always thought Antony Starr was a rather mediocre actor. But holy shit, he is amazing in this.
I think he is terrifying because there is almost an expectation that is super heroes existed in the actual world, it is very likely some would be like Homelander. Scary indeed.
Old 08-15-19, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I think he is terrifying because there is almost an expectation that is super heroes existed in the actual world, it is very likely some would be like Homelander. Scary indeed.
He is essentially a god that walks among man but with the unpredictable temperament of an alcoholic parent.
Old 08-15-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
He is essentially a god that walks among man but with the unpredictable temperament of an alcoholic parent.
OR an ex-spouse.
Old 08-16-19, 03:07 PM
Banned

I read Mark Waid's Irredeemable so none of this is shocking to me. Homelander is mild in comparison to the lead character in that story.
Old 08-16-19, 09:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Not only is this show brutal and graphic, but it’s also fun. The Boys, with The Female are these bunch of misfits who work so well together. Held greatly together by an as usual top notch Karl Urban. Using the baby as a weapon was so great. This show is such a refreshing take on a genre we all love. Such good, fun stuff.
Old 08-16-19, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
The analogues to Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Batman are obvious. What about Starlight? Is she more Supergirl or Stargirl? And Translucent? Is he an analogue of anyone? I’m drawing a blank on that.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
In the comics, "The Seven" were an explicit analogue to the classic Justice League lineup.

Homelander = Superman
Queen Maeve = Wonder Woman
Black Noir = Batman
Lamplighter = Green Lantern
The Deep = Aquaman
A-Train = The Flash
Jack from Jupiter = Martian Manhunter

When the comics started, Lamplighter was dead and Starlight was brought in to replace him, though she's not really an explicit analogue to any major superhero. Transluscent (who is a character unique to the Amazon series) can sort of pass for a Martian Manhunter analogue, as invisibility is one Martian Manhunter's abilities.
Starlight is an analogue of the female Dr. Light with a mix of Stargirl, Dazzler and Jubilee. I would say that her costume and naivete remind me a little bit of DC's Captain Marvel/Billy Batson
Old 08-18-19, 05:44 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Well we actually have it

The power that idiot Donald Trump has is scary. He could easily get away with rape, murder and worse

Old 08-20-19, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I read Mark Waid's Irredeemable so none of this is shocking to me. Homelander is mild in comparison to the lead character in that story.
Everybody and their brother has done their version of "dark superheroes in the real world" (Alan Moore has done it at least three times), but this series is it's own thing, and a good thing at that.
Old 08-20-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Honestly though, this is a pretty loose adaptation, and I may have said it before but it makes me like it a lot more. The comic was really really over the top and disgusting at times in a way that there's no way I could stomach in a live action show. This is way different than Irredeemable where from jump you know that the Superman analogue is evil and doesn't even try to hide it. It does make me curious how Millar's Jupiters Legacy will turn out.

I like that everything is going to be pinned on Butcher since he destroyed the house. Homelander basically toying with him made what happened even more insidious.

There are obviously different levels of supes but most have some level of super strength and invulnerability. But obviously not anywhere near that of Homelander. I'm really curious how they're going to do the flashback to Lamplighter and Mallory because it plays out in the comics in a way that it can't in the show.

How did Starlight know where to go in the last episode? Also why did she stay behind when it's pretty obvious she's going to be implicated? To save a life?

What's amazing to me is that to my recollection there are really only two "fights" between superheroes: the Female vs. Black Noir and the last episode.
Old 08-20-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
Everybody and their brother has done their version of "dark superheroes in the real world" (Alan Moore has done it at least three times), but this series is it's own thing, and a good thing at that.
I'm not comic book guy, but I do know, in terms of what has been applied to the Silver Screen, The Boys has succeeded far better than anything in this sub-genre(?) I have seen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.