Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
And I'm glad the show was not averse to showing the characters wearing loud and colorful superhero costumes, although I did often wonder why none of the 7, aside from Starlight, ever wore civilian clothes. Even in private. It was odd and sometimes funny. The Deep even went grocery shopping in his costume, albeit with a jacket on top.
To be fair we did see A-Train in civvies when he was on crutches but you do have to wonder just how comfortable Queen Maeve is lounging around in her hard plastic bodice and tiara.

My only hope for the second season is that it keeps Black Noir as an enigma as his little vignettes were the comedic highlight of the show.
Old 08-07-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

To be fair Translucent was in his civvies the whole time.
Old 08-07-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Wearing the costume might be a contractual obligation.
Old 08-07-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

If I remember correctly, Homelander said he completely gave up his other persona. So he's Homelander 100% of the time.
It's possible some of the others did the same thing being that they're always in the spot light, etc.
Old 08-07-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anybody else find it bizarre that Starlight's handlers accused her of "blowing your secret identity"? Starlight's real name should have been public knowledge hours after her first public appearance as Starlight, long before that event occurred.
Old 08-07-19, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between the wooden Banshee guy, and completely over the top The Boys guy, IMO Antony Starr is one of the most underrated actors working.

Though Banshee is one of my favorite shows, it wasn't because of Starr's range as an actor.

Now that he's in this show as an unrecognizably different character, I'm realizing he's got a giant talent. Fantastic show and freakin' great acting.
Old 08-07-19, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Did anybody else find it bizarre that Starlight's handlers accused her of "blowing your secret identity"? Starlight's real name should have been public knowledge hours after her first public appearance as Starlight, long before that event occurred.
Yeah, you'd think everyone she grew up with and hung around with or was even remotely related to would know immediately who she was. It wasn't like she was wearing glasses.
Old 08-08-19, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
To be fair Translucent was in his civvies the whole time.

Originally Posted by Koby
If I remember correctly, Homelander said he completely gave up his other persona. So he's Homelander 100% of the time.
It's possible some of the others did the same thing being that they're always in the spot light, etc.
Right.
Other than Starlight, it's obvious the members of The 7 are more than a little bit psycho.
This series spends a lot of time pointing it out too.
Old 08-08-19, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I think they were going for the Clark Kent "glasses make all the difference" type of thing. Hughie didn't recognize Starlight at first, the security guard just saw a suspicious black guy and not one of the most popular supes in the country when he wasn't in costume.
Old 08-08-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I watched the 1st episode last night and thought it was interesting. Very violent, so this is definitely not for kids.

I do like how these "Superheroes" are kind of arrogant and full of themselves.

I when "The Deep" was pleasuring himself when the new girl was getting a tour of their headquarters.

The ending left me a little confused

Spoiler:
Why did Homelander kill the man, who was negotiating for the rights to Nubian Prince, and his kid?

So I guess Karl Urban and the tech store guy Hughie are the foils to these superheroes huh?

I'll try to watch some more this weekend.
2 Episodes in and this is fantastic!!! In regards to your spoiler:
Spoiler:
I took it to show he is more evil than all of them killing a kid, since he is portrayed as the goodie two shoes of the group. And the water guy made a point of saying he doesn't do what any of them do or something like that when he was trying to get a little head.
Old 08-08-19, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

I hate to say it, but ^that is part of why I don’t read more books. Everything these days has to be a damned series or trilogy.

On that note, I recently realized I have started reading a number of trilogies only to never read the final book: The Strain series, the Southern Reach series, and even *gasp* The Lord of the Rings.
Getting a little off topic, but if you're going to read one series to the end at least finish LOTR.
Old 08-08-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

The analogues to Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Batman are obvious. What about Starlight? Is she more Supergirl or Stargirl? And Translucent? Is he an analogue of anyone? I’m drawing a blank on that.
Old 08-08-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
The analogues to Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Batman are obvious. What about Starlight? Is she more Supergirl or Stargirl? And Translucent? Is he an analogue of anyone? I’m drawing a blank on that.
In the comics, "The Seven" were an explicit analogue to the classic Justice League lineup.

Homelander = Superman
Queen Maeve = Wonder Woman
Black Noir = Batman
Lamplighter = Green Lantern
The Deep = Aquaman
A-Train = The Flash
Jack from Jupiter = Martian Manhunter

When the comics started, Lamplighter was dead and Starlight was brought in to replace him, though she's not really an explicit analogue to any major superhero. Transluscent (who is a character unique to the Amazon series) can sort of pass for a Martian Manhunter analogue, as invisibility is one Martian Manhunter's abilities.
Old 08-08-19, 07:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

The Female is batshit crazy. That was some sick shit when they discovered her in ep 4. Fucking brutal. And then guy killing himself was like fuck!
Old 08-08-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm curious what the budget was on this show
Old 08-08-19, 10:06 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I think in like the $5mil per episode ballpark.
Old 08-08-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
In the comics, "The Seven" were an explicit analogue to the classic Justice League lineup.

Homelander = Superman
Black Noir = Batman
The Deep = Aquaman
A-Train = The Flash

When the comics started, Lamplighter was dead and Starlight was brought in to replace him, though she's not really an explicit analogue to any major superhero. Transluscent (who is a character unique to the Amazon series) can sort of pass for a Martian Manhunter analogue, as invisibility is one Martian Manhunter's abilities.
Jack from Jupiter was like a cross between MM and Shazam, though (since he had a magic word and everything).

Still haven't finished the series but the changes they made (like Homelander not participating in the initial hazing, which sets up his surprise turn later) were for the better. The comic gets pretty disgusting.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-08-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
I think in like the $5mil per episode ballpark.
I wish I understood how Amazon measures the economics of their shows. I loved this show, but as an existing Amazon Prime customer the marginal value of my eyeballs is zero. I doubt the entirely of this show's budget can be paid for by new subscribers induced to buy by this show.
Old 08-08-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Still haven't finished the series but the changes they made (like Highlander not participating in the initial hazing, which sets up his surprise turn later) were for the better. The comic gets pretty disgusting.
Highlander? Did you mean Homelander?
Old 08-08-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Highlander? Did you mean Homelander?
Right, Homelander.
Old 08-08-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I understood how Amazon measures the economics of their shows. I loved this show, but as an existing Amazon Prime customer the marginal value of my eyeballs is zero. I doubt the entirely of this show's budget can be paid for by new subscribers induced to buy by this show.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Amazon is doing just fine, thank you.
Old 08-09-19, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Homelander = Superman
Black Noir = Batman
The Deep = Aquaman
A-Train = The Flash

Damn, even the Green Lantern analogues are getting screwed out of screen time.
Old 08-09-19, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Hopefully we'll be getting a flashback of Lamplighter in season two, where they show him
Spoiler:
killing Mallory's grandchildren.
Old 08-09-19, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

“We are thrilled that The Boys has surpassed our predictions for viewing in its first two weeks, and has become one of our most watched Amazon Original series by our Prime Video customers."
Old 08-09-19, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

No surprise there, I don't remember them ever having a show as heavily talked about. If they were looking for a way to get people to pay attention to Prime Video, they finally did it. Even with all the critical success Miss Maisel had.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.