Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

I really dont get like the Airplane scene. Homelander could have saved the plane, i.e like supermand did in Superman Returns. The stuff he told to the chick as reason why he cant are bullshit IMO. hes fuckin Superman! If he did to coverup the pilot controls that would be mute if he saved them anyways! Help me understand seems to out of place!
Old 08-02-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

It didn't make a lot of sense to me either. The fact that he can fly already means he can move through the air basically telepathically. He's not flapping his arms. So if he can fly, he should've been able to move the plane. I guess in this universe he has some of Superman's powers, but not all.

Of course he could've just been lying to her to push forward the supes in the military plan, which we now know he was much more devious about than previously thought.
Old 08-02-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Still haven't watched the show, so I'm guessing what scene this is, but there is a scene in the comic where someone says "can you push the plane" and Homelander says "It's not on the ground, there's nothing to push against." Like super strength and flight aren't enough to be able to drain the momentum from a flying object that's much much heavier than you, since flying only means that you can propel your own weight and maybe a bit more, you'd have to be able to generate force/acceleration via just your flying ability, not your super strength/muscles.

Then there's the fact that he's not risking his life/reputation on this. Like Superman would've I dunno, calculated in his head how much force he'd have to exert to level the plane and try to glide it down, Homelander's not doing that.

Man I'm a nerd.
Old 08-02-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by David_R
I really dont get like the Airplane scene. Homelander could have saved the plane, i.e like supermand did in Superman Returns. The stuff he told to the chick as reason why he cant are bullshit IMO. hes fuckin Superman! If he did to coverup the pilot controls that would be mute if he saved them anyways! Help me understand seems to out of place!
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
It didn't make a lot of sense to me either. The fact that he can fly already means he can move through the air basically telepathically. He's not flapping his arms. So if he can fly, he should've been able to move the plane. I guess in this universe he has some of Superman's powers, but not all.

Of course he could've just been lying to her to push forward the supes in the military plan, which we now know he was much more devious about than previously thought.
He explained it in the show. He said he has nothing to push against. It's just air. Makes sense from a physics stand-point. While he may be able to fly and lift heavy objects, they may not necessarily allow him to lift those objects while in flight.
Old 08-02-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

It's more realistic actually. Pretend you're holding a cube of Jello in your hand. No problem, right? Now try holding it with a toothpick. It'll pierce right through. Homelander doesn't have enough surface area (his hands) to hold the plane. If he applies pushing force against the plane, his hands will puncture the hull and it still crashes (not to mention the air pressure loss).
Old 08-02-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Yeah, they're applying real-world physics to the plane.

In the real world, Homelander (or Superman) would tear that plane to shreds if they tried to stop it from crashing.

Think about it this way... when a plane is out of control and plunging toward the Earth, it will stop when it makes contact with the ground.
Old 08-02-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Also Homelander is an a-hole. He didn’t care and didn’t want to go through with any of that effort.
Old 08-02-19, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Also Homelander is an a-hole. He didn’t care and didn’t want to go through with any of that effort.
More than that- he's an unstoppable sociopath.
Old 08-02-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I thought it was bullshit too. He makes the comment later about “If we had been in the chain of command and been notified sooner, we could have saved all those people.” It was just part of his plan to push supes in the military.

I’m pretty sure he is shown to have not-normal mass (like Queen Maeve and the armored truck) at some point. He could have guided the plane down. He might have needed to “make a run at it” ... force = mass*acceleration.
Old 08-04-19, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Episode 4 was seriously fucked up. Just got to it today.

Homelander is a freaking narcissistic sociopath. That was really messed up.
Old 08-04-19, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Finished the season tonight. Felt like not a lot happened after
Spoiler:
they took out the translucent man

And yet, the season felt a bit short despite that. Definitely ended in a way that hyped up the anticipation of the next season though.
Old 08-04-19, 07:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Episode 3...she literally fucked his brains out! Fucking great. This show is so much fun...
Old 08-05-19, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I spent 2 or 3 episodes thinking Hughie had powers he didn’t realize. There was a few times where he kind of zoned out and it seemed like he had some kind of power on the verge of manifesting.
Old 08-05-19, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Binged in 2 sittings, and loved it. This is a better Ennis adaptation than Preacher.
Old 08-05-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Same here. Watched the first two the other day and binged the rest yesterday morning. Super fun show; I was going in with zero knowledge of the comics or characters.

Maybe it's just the actor but why does Homelander always look like he has a double stuffing of chaw in his lip?
Old 08-05-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Yup, this was a 2 dayer for me and I absolutely loved it. Almost a perfect super hero show. It was chilling seeing seeing Homelander in the last episode.
Old 08-05-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Wonder how long it'll be til Season 2? Amazon gave them plenty of time to get started on it.
Old 08-05-19, 08:54 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The early renewal was a good sign and hopefully an indication that it will be back around the same time next year, since they are already in production.
Old 08-05-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The plane situation was Homelander's fault anyway. A normal human is no threat to him, there was no reason to open up with the eye beams other than sadism.
Old 08-05-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't binge shows. I'm basically incapable of watching more than two episodes of the same show without getting antsy. I finished this one in 48 hours. I absolutely loved everything about it and am super stoked they've already started on season 2.

Really surprised no one has mentioned Frenchie though. That dude was the highlight of the show for me. Funny, smart, and empathetic. Great casting there. Antony Starr was great too. He's got the perfect sociopath vibe and is terrifying in the role.

Can't wait to hear Urban calling everybody ****s and twats again soon.
Old 08-05-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Wonder how long it'll be til Season 2? Amazon gave them plenty of time to get started on it.
They were shooting season 2 earlier this year. It might be close to done now.
Old 08-05-19, 12:09 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
They were shooting season 2 earlier this year. It might be close to done now.
It shoot until November. https://www.iatse873.com/current_productions
Old 08-05-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
Can't wait to hear Urban calling everybody ****s and twats again soon.
Am I the only one having to put the Subtitles On with this series?
Can barely understand Urban, and Frenchy is a complete impossibility...

Good news on S2.
I have 2 more episodes to go on S1.
Old 08-05-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Am I the only one having to put the Subtitles On with this series?
Can barely understand Urban, and Frenchy is a complete impossibility...

Good news on S2.
I have 2 more episodes to go on S1.
I guess that's staying true to the comics too. Even written on paper I can barely understand the dialogue of Butcher or Frenchie... at least they made Hughie an American in this one (apologies to Scottish people)
Old 08-05-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Here I am thinking I am all done with anything comic books and I watch this fucking show and I absolutely loved every second. Possibly because it is an anit-super hero show, but still it just felt almost perfect to me. The final twist was not a twist but they built to it extremely well. Easily my favorite show this year, and maybe one of my favorites all time. It's like they took all the best elements of Watchmen, plunked down Alan Moore's Miracleman in the middle of it, and surrounded it with a NC-17 version of a Breaking Bad structure. It was absolutely phenomenal. So layered and deep. 8 episodes seriously sucks balls though. Acting was phenomenal. Dialogue was perfect. Cant wait until season 2 and will definitely watch Season 1 over. Only slight quibble is that Compound V could never have even been kept as secret as it was in the show in any way with what they were doing with it. Watched on a whim because I say a commercial or something. So glad I did.

BTW: Urban would be perfect as Lan in the WOT show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.