Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Old 07-30-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Liked it a lot, though I could have done without the gill jamming. Can't get the freakin' image out of my head. I'm hoping S2 explores the supers' backstories a little more, just so we know whether they gradually became pricks or turned overnight.
Old 07-30-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Ep 5 spoiler:
Spoiler:
The baby laser thing might be the most awesome thing I've seen on TV ever.

It's fantastic how The Deep keeps tripping over his own dick trying to save ocean life.

This show is fucking awesome. One of the best streaming shows out there. I've never heard of the comic book, so going into this fresh was great.

Last edited by Deftones; 07-30-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

if they follow the comics... s2 is going to be worse pushing the envelope wise, and I can't fucking wait.
Old 07-31-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Watched the first two episodes last night. Love it; can't wait for the weekend to binge the rest.
Old 07-31-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished Season.

My take in the final episode:

Spoiler:
I think Madelyn Stillwell is still alive, the one that got zapped by Homelander and detonated by Billy Butcher was the Shapeshifter
Old 07-31-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Antony Starr is perfect as Homelander. He has the same dead eyes and a smile that doesn't quite reach them that he did in Banshee.
Old 07-31-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Oh my god that was an awesome show! Burned through it in two days and am wanting more! I hadn’t watched a trailer or heard anything specific about it, so I went in totally cold and it was great. I watched the trailers afterwards and felt they gave away too much.

If you have Kindle Unlimited, the first omnibus (14 issues of the comic?) is available for free. I’m about thee issues in and am really digging what the show has done to give more meat and meaning to the story.

I noticed the fly during the Spice Girls pep talk ... they even left in the buzzing sound. I kept looking for it to come back somehow as well (another supe?). Just sloppy production? Odd considering the rest of the show seemed very well done.

Xage ... I thought the same. Don’t know why, just a hunch.
Old 07-31-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by xage
Finished Season.

Spoiler:
I think Madelyn Stillwell is still alive, the one that got zapped by Homelander and detonated by Billy Butcher was the Shapeshifter
That occurred to me, too, though not immediately. When I thought back on it...

Spoiler:
they introduced Chekov's shapeshifter early in the season and then didn't show or mention it again. I was waiting for it to reappear in one of the final episodes. I kinda hope this is the case--I thought Elizabeth Shue was great and her character is a good villain.
Old 07-31-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Damn, that finale. Not the best, but sets up everything for next season. Awesome show. Highly enjoyable.
Old 07-31-19, 05:24 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

While speaking in a recent Reddit AMA, The Boys creator Eric Kripke described the scene which Amazon made him leave on the cutting room floor.

There was ONE SCENE that Amazon said FUCK NO, you have to cut. I couldn't quite understand why considering everything else we have in the show, but: Homelander, after being dressed down by Stilwell in episode 2, was standing on one of the Chrysler building Eagles. He pulled his pants down and started jerking off, mumbling "I can do whatever I want" over and over again until he climaxed all over New York City. We shot it! Oh my God, Anthony was the BEST in that scene. Amazon seemed to think it wasn't necessary. I thought it told me something about his psyche. To be clear, they've been great, that may have been the ONLY fight I lost in Season 1.
Old 07-31-19, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Oh my god that was an awesome show! Burned through it in two days and am wanting more! I hadn’t watched a trailer or heard anything specific about it, so I went in totally cold and it was great. I watched the trailers afterwards and felt they gave away too much.

If you have Kindle Unlimited, the first omnibus (14 issues of the comic?) is available for free. I’m about thee issues in and am really digging what the show has done to give more meat and meaning to the story.

I noticed the fly during the Spice Girls pep talk ... they even left in the buzzing sound. I kept looking for it to come back somehow as well (another supe?). Just sloppy production? Odd considering the rest of the show seemed very well done.

Xage ... I thought the same. Don’t know why, just a hunch.
I mentioned the same thing about flies- it happened in more than one scene which leads me to believe it could be something leading to next season or something left on the cutting room floor. What I originally thought was:

Spoiler:
It was Doppelganger

But then you could use that character in practically every scene, couldn't you?
Old 07-31-19, 10:13 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by xage
Finished Season.

Spoiler:
In most shows with a shapeshifter, when they die they turn back to their original form (but that might not be the case in this “universe”).
Old 08-01-19, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
In most shows with a shapeshifter, when they die they turn back to their original form (but that might not be the case in this “universe”).
Translucent didn't become visible when unconscious, it wouldn't be so bizarre if the shapeshifter's form was "locked" until he actively changed it.
Old 08-01-19, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I finally finished the show, that was crazy (in a good way).

Spoiler:

How long are we going to require these annoying spoiler tags?

Anyway, on to the musing:
  1. Homelander is much more devious than I gave him credit for. I assumed all the sneaky underhanded crap was Madelyn's doing.
  2. More than money, I think Homelander wants adoration, and he doesn't care how many thousands of normals, who he shows great contempt for, will get killed getting it.
  3. Unfortunately, Butcher destroyed the evidence that Homelander killed Madelyn. Homelander obviously assumed he wouldn't detonate with the baby there.
  4. Homelander has super speed now? How else did he save Butcher?
  5. Was Becca raped or not? Is she a Vought prisoner?
  6. I was very disappointed the Boys didn't smash A-Train's head in.
  7. The Deep is looking like he's going off the deep end (so to speak). I wonder what crazy things he'll do to rebel against Vought.
  8. The Supers seemed almost afraid of Floor 82. I wonder what's keeping them from taking over Vought.
  9. Starlight seemed like a not-so-tough Supe, and she walked away from two 50-cal shots to the chest.
    She didn't ignore them like Maeve and Homelander presumably would, but that's impressive. Are even scrubs like Mesmer that tough?
Old 08-01-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I binged this while on a road trip this week based on the advice of one of my kids and I was not disappointed. I assume this has already been said since it is a pretty obvious observation, but I would call it what Preacher was hyped to be but failed at for a myriad of reasons. I really liked how they portrayed Homelander as a kind of a dumb/mean jock stereotype but he ends up being much deeper than that. There were a few Rogen/Goldberg tropes I could have done without but overall it was very enjoyable and I will definitely be back for season 2. Well done

And:
Spoiler:
Gus Frings!!!
Old 08-01-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Yeh that was answered in the second episode.

Osiris, how could anyone not know that was Pegg?
Are you face blind?

Originally Posted by TGM
loving it. nice twist at the end of the first episode.

also good to see Lucas Hood from Banshee again.
I must be face blind as well. I recognized Pegg immediately, but I couldn't place where I had seen Homelander, then when you mentioned Banshee it hit me right away.
Old 08-01-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by randian
I finally finished the show, that was crazy (in a good way).

Spoiler:

How long are we going to require these annoying spoiler tags?

Anyway, on to the musing:
  1. Homelander is much more devious than I gave him credit for. I assumed all the sneaky underhanded crap was Madelyn's doing.
  2. More than money, I think Homelander wants adoration, and he doesn't care how many thousands of normals, who he shows great contempt for, will get killed getting it.
  3. Unfortunately, Butcher destroyed the evidence that Homelander killed Madelyn. Homelander obviously assumed he wouldn't detonate with the baby there.
  4. Homelander has super speed now? How else did he save Butcher?
  5. Was Becca raped or not? Is she a Vought prisoner?
  6. I was very disappointed the Boys didn't smash A-Train's head in.
  7. The Deep is looking like he's going off the deep end (so to speak). I wonder what crazy things he'll do to rebel against Vought.
  8. The Supers seemed almost afraid of Floor 82. I wonder what's keeping them from taking over Vought.
  9. Starlight seemed like a not-so-tough Supe, and she walked away from two 50-cal shots to the chest.
    She didn't ignore them like Maeve and Homelander presumably would, but that's impressive. Are even scrubs like Mesmer that tough?
Spoiler:
2. I think Homelander wants to be worshiped as a god more than he cares about adoration. Whether it's love or fear makes no difference to him.

5. I do not think Becca was raped. Her look after the session gave a consensual but guilty from cheating vibe to me. I am curious how the session lasted 3 hours unless Madelyn really turns on Homelander to the point of lacking control. I also don't think she's a Vought prisoner, but is under their protection. She's raising the first "natural" super baby that we know of, and I'm guessing they want to keep that under wraps.

9. I think there's various levels of invulnerability. Then again, it seems like supers can damage supers, like A-Train getting his leg shattered, but he smashed through Robin without a scratch. Mesmer had his wrist broken, but that was still by another super. I don't think they all have that kind of invulnerability.

Old 08-01-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

^And Butcher did a lot worse to Mesmer than just break his wrist.
Old 08-01-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I couldn’t stop thinking = Zach Morris with super powers.
Old 08-01-19, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
^And Butcher did a lot worse to Mesmer than just break his wrist.
We learned from the show that Vaught:

Spoiler:
did a lot of human experiments with compound V, so there must be varying levels of supers out there, some more powerful than others, and some failures. I would guess Mesmer was more of the later.
Old 08-01-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Really liked this first season. It is similar to the comics but has some big different so one doesn't spoil the other.
This is one of those rare shows where I think it's way better than the source material. Granted I haven't finished the show yet but the comic was a chore to get through at times.
Old 08-01-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Finished it today, really like the series. I can't believe I didn't recognize Lucas Hood from Banshee as Homelander until half-way through episode 2. The blonde hair really threw me off.

This feels like a comedic Watchmen, I really dig it. Can't wait for more seasons.
Old 08-01-19, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 30 minutes in to the first episode and this show makes me laugh like a little girl.

(Like, squealing with delight, and I can't stand superhero movies.)
Old 08-01-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I didn’t pay 100% attention during the binge. Did anything get more gut wrenching than the airplane rescue scene?
Old 08-02-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I didn’t pay 100% attention during the binge. Did anything get more gut wrenching than the airplane rescue scene?
I'm trying to think, and that was definitely one of the more cold-blooded scenes in the show.

Of course I also forgot what Butcher did to Mesmer so my memory isn't the best.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.