Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Old 07-27-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by OldBoy
really hope this picks up a following and viewers and we get many more seasons of this show...
They already renewed it for another year....
Old 07-27-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Damnit this was simply awesome. I didn't know the backstory neither first time for me and I fucking loved it.
Old 07-27-19, 09:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
They already renewed it for another year....
I guess they must have listened to me...
Old 07-27-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Yeh that was answered in the second episode.

Osiris, how could anyone not know that was Pegg?
Are you face blind?

I explained exactly why, dumbass. And I also said I thought it was him, but wasn't sure...not that he was entirely unrecognizable
Old 07-28-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Aquaman guy rescuing the dolphin in episode four. Made me lol.
Old 07-28-19, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched the first 2 episodes and really enjoying it so far.
It's bleak, but has some nice black comedy too.
Old 07-28-19, 08:34 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Watched 2 episodes now and for me, it's the best new show for a long time. Every minute i find captivating. The second episode was just awesome

Spoiler:
the how to kill Translucent and honestly, until it happened, i didn't know if they would have gone through with it

Most show's i'm looking at my watch waiting for something cool to happen

Only one thing, 8 episodes isn't enough !
Old 07-28-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Finished it last night. Definitely not enough episodes. Best show I've watched in a long time.
Old 07-28-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

I'm 2 episodes in so far and loving it. Karl Urban is great as always and Elisabeth Shue can still get it. Looking forward to watching more tonight.
Old 07-28-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

Spoiler:
the how to kill Translucent and honestly, until it happened, i didn't know if they would have gone through with it
It wasn't until the guy
Spoiler:
got out of his cage that I realized it was going to happen.

It was a moment of truth, a turning point for Hughie Campbell.
Old 07-28-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Really liked this first season. It is similar to the comics but has some big different so one doesn't spoil the other.
Old 07-28-19, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Thought the show was good, pretty shocking at some points.

There are so many flies in this I actually thought for a while they were part of the plot.
Old 07-28-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Guess I'll have to check this one out too. So much to see so little time.
Old 07-28-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Homelander is a monster. The ending was painful.
Old 07-29-19, 12:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Homelander is a monster. The ending was painful.
Now go read Irredeemable.
Old 07-29-19, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I just finished episode one. All these supers except for Starlight (who may become as bad as they are after her experience with The Deep, I guess I'll see) are either jerks or murderous scum. We haven't met all 7 of them yet, though. I assume Homelander murdering that Baltimore official was at Madelyn's order, presumably so a less savvy negotiator would replace him and agree to the $300 million contract. One would think that melting on the edge of the fuselage would be flagged by FAA investigators as inconsistent with a lightning strike, which doesn't shatter planes like that, unless they're in the pay of Vought International too.

If a super is worth $100 million a year, and they're only getting paid 4 points (or less, as one complained, and probably much less in the case of newbie Starlight, which is probably why they hired her) of it that's a mighty fine profit margin for Vought International. I'd expect them to earn a lot more for their direct services, as opposed to profits from movie rights, which Vought International is also in the business of according to Madelyn's opening speech.

No mention of supervillains either, something I'd very much expect in this universe if the heroes are this bad.
Old 07-29-19, 03:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by randian
I just finished episode one. All these supers except for Starlight (who may become as bad as they are after her experience with The Deep, I guess I'll see) are either jerks or murderous scum. We haven't met all 7 of them yet, though. I assume Homelander murdering that Baltimore official was at Madelyn's order, presumably so a less savvy negotiator would replace him and agree to the $300 million contract. One would think that melting on the edge of the fuselage would be flagged by FAA investigators as inconsistent with a lightning strike, which doesn't shatter planes like that, unless they're in the pay of Vought International too.

If a super is worth $100 million a year, and they're only getting paid 4 points (or less, as one complained, and probably much less in the case of newbie Starlight, which is probably why they hired her) of it that's a mighty fine profit margin for Vought International. I'd expect them to earn a lot more for their direct services, as opposed to profits from movie rights, which Vought International is also in the business of according to Madelyn's opening speech.

No mention of supervillains either, something I'd very much expect in this universe if the heroes are this bad.
Keep watching...
Old 07-29-19, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the first series where I want to immediately re-watch right away.
Old 07-29-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched the comic-com panel with the director and crew and they were half way through filming the second season already. That is fantastic news....
Old 07-29-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Best damn series for 2019.

Homelander is a fucking ****. God I hate him.
Old 07-29-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Does this get any better? I've tried getting through episode 1 a few times and it seems like a chore. I can barely understand what the bearded guy is saying. If the rest of it is like this, I don't think I'll be able to get through it.
Old 07-29-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If episode one didn't pull you in... I thought the rest will. Probably just not for you. =(
Old 07-29-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Does this get any better? I've tried getting through episode 1 a few times and it seems like a chore. I can barely understand what the bearded guy is saying.
Karl Urban? That's his native New Zealand accent. Most Kiwis have to use an American accent on US TV (see iZombie), with varying degrees of success. I still can't quite distinguish the Kiwi and Aussie accents, much like Europeans I've met can't distinguish Americans and Canadians.
Old 07-29-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

I'm pretty sure Karl Urban is attempting a cockney accent in this show. I don't think he's doing a great job of it, but that's okay because he's Karl Urban and he's awesome.

Finished up the show tonight. Loved it.
Old 07-29-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn airplane scene was fucked up

great show though

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.