TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Roseanne (ABC) -- Season 10 Thread -- premieres 3/27/18

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Roseanne (ABC) -- Season 10 Thread -- premieres 3/27/18

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
The Cosby Show, 7th Heaven, and Seinfeld are still widely available for viewing, and some those shows stars have done things far worse.
This is part of why I suspect it was a pre-determined decision. If I had to guess, she was warned by execs at the highest levels. And it may have even been in the contracts. So she didn't do what she agreed to, and there was a kill switch to shut everything down. Maybe she thought they were bluffing, or she had the power because of the high ratings.

I don't know how anyone could watch The Cosby Show (outside of a MST3K style viewing) knowing what we know now.
Old 05-30-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

I don’t have any desire to watch The Cosby Show or 7th Heaven ever again. I have no problem watching Seinfeld or any Mel Gibson movie. I’m just trying to say most people can separate some bad behavior of an actor if they enjoy their tv show or movie.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 05-30-18 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all the people in this thread commenting about how this is an overreaction:

Just stop.

I can't even believe I have to say this, but there has to be a line. She literally called a black woman an ape. If that's not the line, what is? There have to be consequences for actions.

As for the argument that Trump says whatever he wants and gets away with it, it's call the Overton window, and you're contributing to Trump shifting public discourse from the previously-unthinkable to the now-acceptable. By saying this is an overreaction and citing Trump, you are part the problem. Again: stop it.
Old 05-30-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
This is part of why I suspect it was a pre-determined decision. If I had to guess, she was warned by execs at the highest levels. And it may have even been in the contracts. So she didn't do what she agreed to, and there was a kill switch to shut everything down. Maybe she thought they were bluffing, or she had the power because of the high ratings.
Morality clauses are standard in acting contracts, but yeah, I would guess you're absolutely right.
Old 05-30-18, 09:27 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I can't even believe I have to say this, but there has to be a line. She literally called a black woman an ape. If that's not the line, what is? There have to be consequences for actions.
How far down on the evolutionary scale is Roseanne Barr, that an "ape-women" is far more intelligent, eloquent, decent, and caring than the woman that is attacking her? And yet, Trump will lose no voters over this. Scary.
Old 05-30-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

This Roseanne controversy does not shock me. It's happened before already in the same grounds:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/12/medi...ama/index.html

As you can see this is the 2nd time already, same type of racist incident. The question is, who is gonna be the next white racist to call another black person a planet of the apes?
Old 05-30-18, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

I don't know how anyone could watch The Cosby Show (outside of a MST3K style viewing) knowing what we know now.

Old 05-31-18, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Why do these frothing Roseanne apologists have such a raging hard-on for The View?
1. It's also on ABC.
2. They're women.
3. They don't kiss god emperor's ass.
Old 05-31-18, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I was really curious to hear John Goodman's take on the whole mess. He is doing the right thing, just keeping his nose out of it. He also stays off twitter. Just pure class. He is one of those celebrities that you never hear anything bad about.

https://people.com/tv/john-goodman-r...-cancellation/
Old 05-31-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
If you say so...

The NFL changed a rule this year to tell their employees what to do.
The NFL owners will just take the fine. The NFL with only white players would be a disaster. And boring to watch.
Old 05-31-18, 12:47 PM
Banned

Roseanne is already super rich. This cancellation will have zero impact on her standard of living.

The people who worked on the show behind the scenes are the ones who will be hurt.

And millions of people will be deprived of being able to watch the syndicated reruns.

I'll keep watching my DVDs of the first five seasons, just like I'll keep watching my DVDs of the first two seasons of The Cosby Show.

I wonder if the same people who support this cancellation and stopping the reruns have also stopped listening to the Beatles since it was revealed that John Lennon was a wife beater.

A person can be really good at one thing (creating movies, music, or TV shows) and simultaneously be really bad at another thing (being a racist, or a wife-beater). Since we live in a highly technological society with very high levels of specialization, I personally think it would be irrational to stop eating my favorite candy just because it turned out that the CEO of the candy company had murdered his family. But I respect the rights of other who disagree with me, i.e., those who would stop eating the candy because of that.
Old 05-31-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
Roseanne is already super rich. This cancellation will have zero impact on her standard of living.

The people who worked on the show behind the scenes are the ones who will be hurt.

And millions of people will be deprived of being able to watch the syndicated reruns.

I'll keep watching my DVDs of the first five seasons, just like I'll keep watching my DVDs of the first two seasons of The Cosby Show.

I wonder if the same people who support this cancellation and stopping the reruns have also stopped listening to the Beatles since it was revealed that John Lennon was a wife beater.

A person can be really good at one thing (creating movies, music, or TV shows) and simultaneously be really bad at another thing (being a racist, or a wife-beater). Since we live in a highly technological society with very high levels of specialization, I personally think it would be irrational to stop eating my favorite candy just because it turned out that the CEO of the candy company had murdered his family. But I respect the rights of other who disagree with me, i.e., those who would stop eating the candy because of that.
So your feeling is, as long as the person is talented enough they should be able to keep their job and we should just turn a blind eye because hey, there are other people depending on them? This isn't the case of a CEO of a candy company, this is the founder and creator of the candy company with the candy named after them, who will continue to make loads of money if you keep buying their candy. Yeah I'd probably boycott that as well.
Old 05-31-18, 01:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There's an article in the LA Times that states Disney had no choice but to cut ties with Roseanne considering that her show made $40 million in advertising this past season but Disney's biggest money maker so far is Black Panther at $1.8 billion and they couldn't take a chance on jeopardizing that. Makes sense when you consider what a drop in the bucket Roseanne is compared to their other properties.
Old 05-31-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by xraybies
There's an article in the LA Times that states Disney had no choice but to cut ties with Roseanne considering that her show made $40 million in advertising this past season but Disney's biggest money maker so far is Black Panther at $1.8 billion and they couldn't take a chance on jeopardizing that. Makes sense when you consider what a drop in the bucket Roseanne is compared to their other properties.
Yeah; 40m is nothing compared to what Disney could possibly lose if people started boycotting due to Roseanne's comments.
Old 05-31-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the least surprising thing to come out of Hollywood in a long time...
Roseanne has been nuts from the very beginning and it always has landed her in hot water...simply look at her show-biz history.
What is "surprising" is why, knowing her history, ABC would even try restarting the show in the first place.
What's the definition of insanity again?
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?
Old 05-31-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Roseanne was wildly popular in the initial run. Pretty sure they were hoping for the same results...
Old 05-31-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

First of all, I completely respect your right to enjoy whatever entertainment you want.

And yes, Roseanne will still have a lot of money, but I think it was appropriate for people to call her out regardless. And yes, I think we all have regrets for the cast and crew who got shafted here, but what's the alternative? Saying "we'll still give this person a platform because she makes money"? I'd rather see the cast and crew spend their time and efforts on a different show (and yes, I know jobs aren't simple to find).

I didn't watch the show, but I think one of the core problems is her playing a Trump supporter. It'd be like if all of John Lennon's songs were about beating his wife. Then yeah, I'd probably wouldn't listen to those songs.
Old 05-31-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Tom Arnold was on CNN last night:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/31/us/to...ntv/index.html

The last bit is just weird.
Old 05-31-18, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
So your feeling is, as long as the person is talented enough they should be able to keep their job and we should just turn a blind eye because hey, there are other people depending on them? This isn't the case of a CEO of a candy company, this is the founder and creator of the candy company with the candy named after them, who will continue to make loads of money if you keep buying their candy. Yeah I'd probably boycott that as well.

No, I didn't say we should "turn a blind eye." Criticizing her for what she said is one thing. Cancelling her TV show is something else. Because a person can be really good at one thing, and really bad at another thing.
Old 05-31-18, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by melasnus
This is the least surprising thing to come out of Hollywood in a long time...
Roseanne has been nuts from the very beginning and it always has landed her in hot water...simply look at her show-biz history.
What is "surprising" is why, knowing her history, ABC would even try restarting the show in the first place.
What's the definition of insanity again?
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

All truly creative people are nuts.
Old 05-31-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I didn't say we should "turn a blind eye." Criticizing her for what she said is one thing. Cancelling her TV show is something else. Because a person can be really good at one thing, and really bad at another thing.
If you had an employee who said something publicly which could end up costing you a ton of money and horrible press to your company, would you keep them employed?
Old 05-31-18, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
First of all, I completely respect your right to enjoy whatever entertainment you want.

And yes, Roseanne will still have a lot of money, but I think it was appropriate for people to call her out regardless. And yes, I think we all have regrets for the cast and crew who got shafted here, but what's the alternative? Saying "we'll still give this person a platform because she makes money"? I'd rather see the cast and crew spend their time and efforts on a different show (and yes, I know jobs aren't simple to find).

I didn't watch the show, but I think one of the core problems is her playing a Trump supporter. It'd be like if all of John Lennon's songs were about beating his wife. Then yeah, I'd probably wouldn't listen to those songs.

The alternative is to criticize her for her racist comment, and to let her continue making her awesome show. Because a person can be really good at one thing, and really bad at another thing.

Since you didn't watch the show, I'd love to hear what you (and anyone else here who does or doesn't watch her show) thinks of this:

Old 05-31-18, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Noonan
If you had an employee who said something publicly which could end up costing you a ton of money and horrible press to your company, would you keep them employed?

If the employee is easily replaceable, then I would fire the employee.

If the employee was very difficult or impossible to replace, and their job was highly important to the success of my business, then I would keep the employee.
Old 05-31-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the employee is easily replaceable, then I would fire the employee.

If the employee was very difficult or impossible to replace, and their job was highly important to the success of my business, then I would keep the employee.
Roseanne is not important to the success of Disney and I'm sure there are sitcom pilots they could pick up which don't star loud-mouthed racists.
Old 05-31-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Roseanne = 1/10 of 1% of revenue, about 45 mil.

Black Panther = 1.8 billion wordwide box office.

For a company riding the wave of black empowerment exemplified by the “Black Panther” storyline amid hopes of turning the film into a long-running franchise, hitching its wagon to a star who tweets that former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett, an African American, is the offspring of “Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes” simply did not compute.

Canceling 'Roseanne' may have been the easiest decision Disney ever made.
http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...530-story.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.