Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Old 02-13-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.avclub.com/articles/amc-d...adline:default

The record-smashing success of The Walking Dead has suggested to AMC that it would probably do well to look into some other shows where people walk across desolate landscapes while being slowly picked off by horrible things, then spend all of their downtime discussing how much they don’t like it. So the network is developing The Terror, an adaptation of Dan Simmons’ 2007 novel about a Royal Naval crew who find themselves stranded and starving in the Arctic, only to encounter a mythological beast who pops up to kill them whenever things aren’t already shitty enough. Screenwriter David Kajganich—currently also adapting Stephen King’s The Stand for that film Ben Affleck may or may not do—will script and executive produce the series that’s also set in 1847, thus merging AMC’s until-now exclusive loves of period dramas and monster shows. Now they just need to have the monster selling meth to Eskimos on the side.
I love the premise of this show, but this definitely seems like a limited series? How many seasons can you get out of something like this? Sounds very interesting.
Old 02-13-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: AMC developing 'The Terror'

The book is a little drawn out (but that's just Dan Simmons I'm going to write complicated to prove to you how smart a writer I am and are you that intelligent of a reader? style) and I could see it making a terrific movie. Mini-series, possibly. But a series, no.
Old 02-13-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I really enjoyed the book, but I have a hard time seeing how this could be a multi season series.

Mild spoilers in the vein of "does anyone live at the end"
Spoiler:
There's room to continue the series after the book with the characters who are still alive at the end, but the tone and focus would be have to be completely different... and probably impossible to do for television.
Old 02-13-13, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm just going to assume this will be a planned limited thing (like the upcoming "Under the Dome"). Because this is not a multi-season story (its not even the kind of thing you could just continue the adventures of the main characters without it being completely stupid).

And if that's the case, I look forward to this. There's a lot of potential in the novel for visually interesting storytelling. The story of "The Terror" would be a fascinating one even with the monster.

Crossing my fingers this is good and does well. Because there are a ton of great novels that are ideal for the limited series approach. Unfortunately that's not where the money is ... so we see novels either get massively simplified or bloated.
Old 02-13-13, 09:02 PM

Guess I need to finally finish this book at some point.
Old 02-14-13, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Between this and Under The Dome, I'm finding myself in the strange position of hoping the ending is different from the book. And I usually hate it when books are unfaithfully filmed.
Old 02-14-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like Lost in the arctic... and I'm in!
Old 02-14-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The novel is based on the lost Franklin Expedition of the nineteenth century, involving the HMS Terror and HMS Erebus.

The book and actual historical event have definite endings, so I'm not sure how this could be anything but a TV movie or miniseries.

The Franklin Expedition was also the basis for Iron Maiden's song "Stranger in a Strange Land."
Old 02-14-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome! Loved the book immensely. Would work well for a 13 episode mini series. There are some slow spots in the book, but tons of atmosphere. Hope this comes true.
Old 02-14-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am surprised TV doesn't adapt more of Simmons' work. Most of the premises and ideas in his books seem constructed as television pitches.
Old 02-14-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the book alot. It would make a great miniseries. I also thought Summer of Night should have been made into a movie or tv special. It would be great around Halloween.
Old 01-15-18, 02:29 PM

AMC’s thriller The Terror will debut at 9 PM Monday, March 26, the network announced today. The series from executive producers Ridley Scott, David Kajganich and Soo Hugh will have a two-hour series premiere.

Inspired by a true story and adapted from the best-selling novel by Dan Simmons, The Terror centers on the Royal Navy’s perilous voyage as the crew attempts to discover the Northwest Passage. Faced with treacherous conditions, limited resources, dwindling hope and fear of the unknown, the crew is pushed to the brink of extinction — frozen, isolated and stuck at the end of the earth. The Terror highlights all that can go wrong when a group of men, desperate to survive, struggle not only with the elements but with one another.

The 10-episode series stars Jared Harris (The Crown), Tobias Menzies (Outlander) , Ciarán Hinds (Game of Thrones), Paul Ready (Cuffs), Adam Nagaitis (Suffragette), Nive Nielsen (The New World), Ian Hart (Neverland) and Trystan Gravelle (Mr Selfridge).

“The Terror captures a rare combination of fascinating history, complex and flawed characters, the inextinguishable human spirit and the horror and promise of an uncharted world,” said executive producers and co-showrunners Kajganich and Hugh. “We are looking forward to bringing viewers into this world in March.”

Shot in Budapest, Hungary, The Terror is produced by Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360 in association with AMC Studios. In addition to Kajganich and Hugh, the series is also executive produced by Scott, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert and Guymon Casady.
Old 01-15-18, 02:46 PM

I had forgotten about this - glad to see there's finally a date Also, this must have been a very difficult project to develop and produce. Not surprised it took so long from when the news first broke years ago.
Old 01-15-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot all about this. A limited run series is a great way to adapt these epic books. There's certainly plenty in the book for it. It would be ideal if this aired in the winter and not the spring (for atmosphere). But I understand how difficult it is to get anything on the air at all.

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
The book is a little drawn out (but that's just Dan Simmons I'm going to write complicated to prove to you how smart a writer I am and are you that intelligent of a reader? style)
I'm a fan of Dan Simmons, but that description of his writing (at least in recent years) is accurate

Drood (the book he wrote after The Terror), for me, was a chore to get through. And I haven't read any of his novels since then: Black Hills, Flashback, Abominable, The Fifth Heart. Reader reviews of all are very mixed and I've been hesitant to get started on any of them. Any recommendations from here for any of those?

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I am surprised TV doesn't adapt more of Simmons' work. Most of the premises and ideas in his books seem constructed as television pitches.
Agreed. For tv producers looking for good ideas, Simmons' writing is packed with them. Summer of Night has already been mentioned here. The Hyperion and Ilium series have such huge and interesting worlds that they could support a longer ongoing series. And it's been surprising that no adaptation of Carrion Comfort has ever been attempted. That could work as a stand-alone movie or limited series, and wouldn't have the effects-heavy requirements of his science fiction works.

What's the status of the Hyperion series for SyFy? It was announced summer of 2015, but I haven't heard anything since.

Last edited by brainee; 01-15-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 03:52 PM

I really enjoyed the book -- read it during a record-setting winter cold spell, which must've added to the impact of the book. I remember lying in bed, freezing under the covers, which might've been partially psychological.
Old 01-15-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally, a proper prequel to The Thing!

Seriously though, looks damn good. The only part that has me skeptical is “Ridley Scott”.
Old 01-19-18, 02:09 PM

I hope they cut the weird Inuit mythology stuff that plagued the eoof the book.
Old 01-19-18, 03:12 PM

I wonder if the first season will be based on the book, and the second takes the story somewhere else (maybe to modern times?). I'm intrigued by this, but not sure I want to watch season after season of stinky British guys stuck on a boat in the ice.
Old 01-19-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell are you talking about funkyryno? It is going to be awesome in the later years! I mean, this is the network that has given us 8 years of

Old 01-19-18, 07:23 PM

They could easily mine a good 2 seasons just from the book.
Spoiler:
The first could have the build up towards the expedition, and later the beginnings of the food/scurvy issues, with the beast in the finale. Then go full on supernatural with season 2.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 01-19-18 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added spoiler section due to book plot points
Old 03-26-18, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 3/26/18

The two-hour season premiere of "The Terror" airs Monday, March 26th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT and includes back-to-back episodes: "Go for Broke" where an accident at sea cripples a Royal Navy expedition 200 miles from finding the Northwest Passage, forcing its captains to make a dire choice, and "Gore" in which scouting parties are sent out in search of open water after a long winter trapped in the ice, leading one of the teams to a frightening discovery.

"The Terror" is a suspenseful thriller that follows a British Royal Naval expedition as they set sail in search of the Northwest Passage. Faced with treacherous conditions, limited resources, dwindling hope, fear of the unknown and attacks by a mysterious predator, the crew is pushed to the brink of extinction. The series is speculative fiction based on the lost voyage where more than 120 crew members inexplicably disappeared. Their fate is one of the enduring mysteries of the age of exploration. This epic series features distinctive imagery and landscapes, with a visual quality that is emblematic in scale and scope of a Ridley Scott production.

The ten-episode series stars Jared Harris (The Crown, Mad Men) as Captain Francis Crozier, Tobias Menzies (Outlander) as Captain James Fitzjames, Ciaran Hinds (Game of Thrones) as Sir John Franklin, Paul Ready (Cuffs) as Dr. Harry Goodsir, Adam Nagaitis (Suffragette) as Cornelius Hickey, Nive Nielsen (The New World) as Lady Silence and Ian Hart (Neverland) as Thomas Blanky.

"The Terror" is executive produced by Ridley Scott, David Kajganich, Soo Hugh, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert and Guymon Casady and is produced by Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360 in association with AMC Studios.

Trailer:

10 episode season.

2 episodes will air tonight back to back.

This looks like a period horror series. Looks creepy from that trailer footage.

FYI, if you recorded Sunday's The Walking Dead, AMC tacked on the 1st episode of this show as a special "preview" in the 2nd hour.
Old 03-26-18, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Set the DVR.
Old 03-26-18, 08:54 AM

re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. The Dan Simmons novel is a great read, but seems like it'd be difficult to transfer to TV.

Good news is early reviews of this show have garnered some positive buzz. Looking forward to this.
Old 03-26-18, 09:01 AM
Admin-Thanos

I like the actors, I'm just not that into the subject matter.
Old 03-26-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We'll know for sure in 10 weeks ... but has anyone heard if this is planned to tell the story of the novel in its 10 episodes? Or are multiple seasons planned to tell the "entire" story?

If the former, this could be really good. 10 hour-long episodes is a perfect amount of time for a big novel. Plenty of room to breath for setting and characterization, while short enough that something big story-wise will happen in every episode (while never dragging).

I fear the latter happening though. While building up characters and setting is good, I've seen too many serialized shows that just move at a glacial pace where you're just praying for something interesting to happen at a certain point. I can envision how the monster of this story is teased and stretched out as badly as the Smoke Monster from Lost.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.