Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Is there a similar screen grab of the charms/totems? Because the one of the creature is what got me thinking of something other than a traditional bear or wolf. But maybe I saw it wrong, the guy was terrible at carving, or it's not supposed to be the creature at all.

If it's just a giant bear/wolf then the series is going to seem more like an artic rip-off of the Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-05-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-05-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

My initial impression of the animal, so far, is some kind of Native American spirit creature. The tokens/charms. The animal seems to be protective of the girl, it brought her food. My first thought was the animal was spirit of her grandfather. Maybe he was a medicine man. There could be more than one.

The basic protective spirit creature of a tribe that takes out white men it see as a threat to the tribe.
Old 04-05-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Told a friend I'd wait and binge it. Because I'd be pissed if I watched it every week and the mysterious creature turned out to be a bear! lol
Old 04-05-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
My initial impression of the animal, so far, is some kind of Native American spirit creature. The tokens/charms. The animal seems to be protective of the girl, it brought her food. My first thought was the animal was spirit of her grandfather. Maybe he was a medicine man. There could be more than one.
Well, something smashed up their boat-on-skis before they shot the grandfather, so it wasn't his deceased spirit that did that.
Old 04-16-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed the book a lot, and was a little worried about how this would translate, but I'm really loving this show.

Really glad they cast an authentic looking woman for the eskimo. Was kinda surprised they didn't try and choose some super hot 20-something half-native girl. Just adds to the authentic nature of the show.

I will say while it was interesting to read about, watching a story about the navy where there's essentially no sailing, is really interesting twist.
Old 05-22-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that was dark.

I was amused that AMC kept advertising the "season" finale. I was wondering if they were going to try and stretch this across multiple season, but that finale was definitely the end of this story. Maybe AMC is angling to turn it into an anthology series.
Old 05-23-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Maybe AMC is angling to turn it into an anthology series.
That's what I'm reading. Could see The Donner Party coming soon.
Old 05-23-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Anyone else think that the creature's face looked human?
Old 05-23-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
Anyone else think that the creature's face looked human?
It very much had some human features. The ears, for one.

From an article about the design of Tuunbaq:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/...nbaq-episode-5
For Petzold, that is by design. "We wanted to make sure he looks human," he admitted. It's just human enough to put you at ease and make you feel sympathy for the creature before it strikes the killing blow.
Old 05-23-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Found two featurettes, the first has spoilers for the last episode:

Old 05-23-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

If they turn this into an anthology, I'm not sure I'll be back for the next series/season.

The Terror was okay, but it's not something that I would have watched if it had been something like AHS.
Old 05-23-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

It was strange how after moving so deliberately for 9.5 episodes things moved so quickly over the last 15 minutes. Then again I suppose everything after Crozier surviving the beast was basically epilogue.

It was interesting how the beast was just a part of the story like the weather. Typically the presence of a demonic monster would be the main plot point of any story. Not so here.
Old 05-23-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the anthology angle is odd to me, because the title "The Terror" is specifically from the book this season was based on, and that title is based on the fact that one of the actual boats was named The Terror. What would the next season be called? "The Terror: Donner Party" for example? What's the theme of the series, supernatural survival horror based on actual events?

I'd be more interested if AMC and other networks just produced more limited series of things that are interesting, instead of trying to extend every show into an "anthology series."
Old 05-23-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Well, the anthology angle is odd to me, because the title "The Terror" is specifically from the book this season was based on, and that title is based on the fact that one of the actual boats was named The Terror. What would the next season be called? "The Terror: Donner Party" for example? What's the theme of the series, supernatural survival horror based on actual events?
Maybe in the opening scene we see "The Terror" carved into the back of one of the Conestoga wagons as they depart from Springfield, Illinois.
Old 06-22-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This was renewed for a second season, set during WWII: https://deadline.com/2018/06/the-ter...mc-1202415649/

It appears entirely unrelated to the first season, with different show runners and different creative staff.
Old 06-10-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I making my way through this on Hulu. I'm LOVING it. But Im a sucker Period British Navy stuff/drama so that's a huge factor in my enjoyment. But I 'm also interested in the Mystical Angle as I'm not too familiar with Inuit Mysticism.
Old 06-11-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
This was renewed for a second season, set during WWII: https://deadline.com/2018/06/the-ter...mc-1202415649/

It appears entirely unrelated to the first season, with different show runners and different creative staff.
AMC is turning it into an anthology format from season to season.
Old 06-20-19, 11:55 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FqNbAxvNElU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-20-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Old 07-20-19, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

New Comic Con trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZSie64No89s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-20-19, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Was actually thinking I'd be done with this show, but that trailer has me sold. I'll be watching season 2 for sure. =)
Old 07-20-19, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm avoiding trailers/spoilers hoping to go into this next season with no preconceptions. I really ended up liking the first season in a way I did not expect and want to try and go into this one with a completely open mind.
Old 08-29-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

the ship appears to have been recenetly explored and is very well preserved for those of you that might be interested. Saw this on CNN this AM

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/canada-shipwreck-franklin-scli-intl/index.html

article in spoiler below

Spoiler:
(CNN) — Researchers in Canada have released new images of a remarkably well-preserved shipwreck that will shed new light on the ill-fated 1845 Arctic expedition in which famed British explorer John Franklin died.
The wreck of HMS Terror has effectively been "frozen in time" thanks to the cold, deep waters of Terror Bay in Nunavut, Canada, and a layer of silt which has preserved artifacts such as maps, logs and scientific instruments, according to a study by Parks Canada in conjunction with Inuit researchers.
HMS Terror and HMS Erebus set off from England in 1845 in search of a route across the North-West Passage but got stuck in sea ice, forcing the 129 crew members to abandon ship in 1848. The men died one by one attempting to walk to safety across the Arctic.

Photos and video footage were gathered using a remotely operated vehicle (ROV), in what the agency describes as "one of the largest, most complex underwater archaeological undertakings in Canadian history."
Researchers used the ROV to explore 20 cabins and compartments on the ship, the first time the interior of HMS Terror had been systematically explored, according to a Parks Canada statement.

Artifacts have been well preserved thanks to the cold water, lack of natural light, and a layer of silt.
Ryan Harris/AFP/Getty Images
"The impression we witnessed when exploring the HMS Terror is of a ship only recently deserted by its crew, seemingly forgotten by the passage of time," said ROV pilot Ryan Harris.
The team got images from over 90% of the ship's lower deck, including living quarters.
Related content
One of the great maritime mysteries may be solved in cold Canadian waters
The captain's cabin is the biggest treasure trove - and also the best preserved part of the lower deck - with closed map cabinets, a tripod and a pair of thermometers already identified.
Behind a closed door lies the captain's sleeping quarters, the only part of the lower deck that archeologists could not explore.
The team believes that written documents will have been preserved because the water temperature is zero degrees Celsius or lower, there is no natural light, and sedimentation helps to preserve organic material such as paper by making for an environment where less oxygen is present.

Underwater archeologists said the findings surpassed expectations.
Ryan Harris/AFP/Getty Images
Marc-André Bernier, manager of underwater archeology at Parks Canada, said the condition of the captain's cabin greatly surpasses expectations.
"Not only are the furniture and cabinets in place, drawers are closed and many are buried in silt, encapsulating objects and documents in the best possible conditions for their survival," said Bernier in a statement.
"Each drawer and other enclosed space will be a treasure trove of unprecedented information on the fate of the Franklin Expedition."
Researchers will now analyze the discoveries on HMS Terror in order to gain a better understanding of what happened on board the ship, and hope to eventually build a picture of the lives of individual crew members.
Related content
Arctic 'ghost ship' found -- Sir John Franklin's doomed HMS Terror
"The excellent condition of the ship will, I hope, mean that there will soon be answers to so many questions about the fate of the Franklin Expedition, shrouded in mystery since 1845," said Susan Le Jeune d'Allegeershecque, British High Commissioner to Canada.
Canada and the Inuit will jointly own the new-found artifacts from HMS Terror and HMS Erebus under a 2018 agreement.
HMS Terror was spotted on the sea bed off King William Island in September 2016, and HMS Erebus was found in September 2014.
Franklin's last expedition was "the worst disaster in the history of British polar exploration," according to the Royal Museums Greenwich.
Old 09-04-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Are people waiting to binge season two? I just watched the first episode and found it to be pretty meh. Not sure I want to continue (loved the first season but this is obviously a totally different story and feel).
Old 09-04-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Originally Posted by Finisher
Are people waiting to binge season two? I just watched the first episode and found it to be pretty meh. Not sure I want to continue (loved the first season but this is obviously a totally different story and feel).
There's a separate season 2 thread:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/64...8-12-19-a.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.