Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 3/26/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-26-18, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The two-hour season premiere of "The Terror" airs Monday, March 26th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT and includes back-to-back episodes: "Go for Broke" where an accident at sea cripples a Royal Navy expedition 200 miles from finding the Northwest Passage, forcing its captains to make a dire choice, and "Gore" in which scouting parties are sent out in search of open water after a long winter trapped in the ice, leading one of the teams to a frightening discovery.

"The Terror" is a suspenseful thriller that follows a British Royal Naval expedition as they set sail in search of the Northwest Passage. Faced with treacherous conditions, limited resources, dwindling hope, fear of the unknown and attacks by a mysterious predator, the crew is pushed to the brink of extinction. The series is speculative fiction based on the lost voyage where more than 120 crew members inexplicably disappeared. Their fate is one of the enduring mysteries of the age of exploration. This epic series features distinctive imagery and landscapes, with a visual quality that is emblematic in scale and scope of a Ridley Scott production.

The ten-episode series stars Jared Harris (The Crown, Mad Men) as Captain Francis Crozier, Tobias Menzies (Outlander) as Captain James Fitzjames, Ciaran Hinds (Game of Thrones) as Sir John Franklin, Paul Ready (Cuffs) as Dr. Harry Goodsir, Adam Nagaitis (Suffragette) as Cornelius Hickey, Nive Nielsen (The New World) as Lady Silence and Ian Hart (Neverland) as Thomas Blanky.

"The Terror" is executive produced by Ridley Scott, David Kajganich, Soo Hugh, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert and Guymon Casady and is produced by Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360 in association with AMC Studios.

Trailer:

10 episode season.

2 episodes will air tonight back to back.

This looks like a period horror series. Looks creepy from that trailer footage.

FYI, if you recorded Sunday's The Walking Dead, AMC tacked on the 1st episode of this show as a special "preview" in the 2nd hour.
Old 03-26-18, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 3/26/18

Set the DVR.
Old 03-26-18, 08:54 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. The Dan Simmons novel is a great read, but seems like it'd be difficult to transfer to TV.

Good news is early reviews of this show have garnered some positive buzz. Looking forward to this.
Old 03-26-18, 09:01 AM
Admin-Thanos

I like the actors, I'm just not that into the subject matter.
Old 03-26-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We'll know for sure in 10 weeks ... but has anyone heard if this is planned to tell the story of the novel in its 10 episodes? Or are multiple seasons planned to tell the "entire" story?

If the former, this could be really good. 10 hour-long episodes is a perfect amount of time for a big novel. Plenty of room to breath for setting and characterization, while short enough that something big story-wise will happen in every episode (while never dragging).

I fear the latter happening though. While building up characters and setting is good, I've seen too many serialized shows that just move at a glacial pace where you're just praying for something interesting to happen at a certain point. I can envision how the monster of this story is teased and stretched out as badly as the Smoke Monster from Lost.
Old 03-26-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The one write-up I read said it was limited.
Old 03-26-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being a limited series run, I'll check this out.
Old 03-26-18, 01:54 PM

I'll wait until it's done airing and watch it at once.
Old 03-26-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks very promising.
Old 03-26-18, 06:40 PM

Watched the first hour last night and really liked it. Eerie, claustrophobic and desolate. I don't know how the air of the supernatural plays into anything but I like tales of survival even true ones like Shackleton so that alone would be enough for me. Add in the historical setting & it's a great looking production.

I really liked Jared Harris in the early days of FRINGE so it's nice to see him in this.

AMC should have aired this back in the middle of January for that extra sense of being along for the trip.
Old 03-27-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by philo View Post
Watched the first hour last night and really liked it. Eerie, claustrophobic and desolate. I don't know how the air of the supernatural plays into anything but I like tales of survival even true ones like Shackleton so that alone would be enough for me. Add in the historical setting & it's a great looking production.

I really liked Jared Harris in the early days of FRINGE so it's nice to see him in this.

AMC should have aired this back in the middle of January for that extra sense of being along for the trip.
I agree. After seeing the first two episodes I don't care if there is any supernatural horror element. The situation is so desolate that a straight survival story is enough. Maybe even better.
Old 03-27-18, 10:41 AM

This looked like it would be perfect for me, but I'm not enjoying it thus far. I may hang with it if it is just going to be a limited series.
Old 03-28-18, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

True to Simmon's book it's really slooooooooooow
Old 03-28-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the opening 2 episodes.
The authentic look seemed really credible to me.
Old 03-30-18, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really enjoyed this -both the setting and photography are exceptional. I'm not familiar with the novel - I actually wish I was able to binge all 10 episodes!
Old 04-04-18, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike7162 View Post
Really enjoyed this -both the setting and photography are exceptional. I'm not familiar with the novel - I actually wish I was able to binge all 10 episodes!
Same here. Just finished the first three episodes over the past two days. I'm not into the mystical stuff at all - and it looks like we are heading for much more of that - but the acting and production values have got me hooked regardless. Even though it is a bit slow, I don't find myself becoming impatient. Of course, that might in part have to do with the fact that I had three hours worth of the show on the DVR before I started watching. Now that I have a week between episodes that might change.
Old 04-04-18, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Already much better by episode 3 and 4 - I'll finish the season, because now I'm intrigued
Old 04-04-18, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The pacing is slow like the book. But I think I'm giving that a pass since they've done the atmosphere so well.

It does really bother me though that people keep talking outside in the arctic tundra and their breath doesn't freeze haha.
Old 04-04-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
The pacing is slow like the book. But I think I'm giving that a pass since they've done the atmosphere so well.

It does really bother me though that people keep talking outside in the arctic tundra and their breath doesn't freeze haha.
Same here. Watched 3 episodes

I will wait to binge it. Too slow moving and not really into the walrus that is attacking everyone or whatever it is. It is interesting subject matter but... I just sort of bored with the ships stuck in the ice and by this time the crew would be going bonkers. This seems like it would benefit binge watching. I can move right into the next one etc.
Old 04-04-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it is summer.
Old 04-04-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
Already much better by episode 3 and 4 - I'll finish the season, because now I'm intrigued
Do you mean 2 & 3, or where did they air/stream ep4 a week in advance?
Old 04-05-18, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Do you mean 2 & 3, or where did they air/stream ep4 a week in advance?
All 10 episodes are available now with the ad free version of AMC
Old 04-05-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
All 10 episodes are available now with the ad free version of AMC
AMC Premiere is $5/month and only available to Comcast Xfinity TV subscribers:
http://www.amcpremiere.com/
Watch entire seasons — including episodes that haven’t aired yet — on your favorite device.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/29/am...-cord-cutters/
For now at least, you have to be a pay TV subscriber to use AMC Premiere — and specifically, a Comcast Xfinity TV customer.
Old 04-05-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Same here. Just finished the first three episodes over the past two days. I'm not into the mystical stuff at all - and it looks like we are heading for much more of that - but the acting and production values have got me hooked regardless.
Yeah. Very well made. I'm not into the mystical stuff either. Kind of has a Lost vibe.

I do have to say - every time they are drinking whiskey, I can only wonder how much booze did they stock the ships with.
Old 04-05-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The slow pacing sure picked up in a hurry during Ep3. Surprised they killed off a major character like the Captain so quickly. I have feeling the creature is mutant version of those giant seal like creatures that attack from under the ice. Don't remember the name, but they have shown them in artic movies before.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.