Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

The one write-up I read said it was limited.
Old 03-26-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 3/26/18

Being a limited series run, I'll check this out.
Old 03-26-18, 01:54 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I'll wait until it's done airing and watch it at once.
Old 03-26-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very promising.
Old 03-26-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Watched the first hour last night and really liked it. Eerie, claustrophobic and desolate. I don't know how the air of the supernatural plays into anything but I like tales of survival even true ones like Shackleton so that alone would be enough for me. Add in the historical setting & it's a great looking production.

I really liked Jared Harris in the early days of FRINGE so it's nice to see him in this.

AMC should have aired this back in the middle of January for that extra sense of being along for the trip.
Old 03-27-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
Watched the first hour last night and really liked it. Eerie, claustrophobic and desolate. I don't know how the air of the supernatural plays into anything but I like tales of survival even true ones like Shackleton so that alone would be enough for me. Add in the historical setting & it's a great looking production.

I really liked Jared Harris in the early days of FRINGE so it's nice to see him in this.

AMC should have aired this back in the middle of January for that extra sense of being along for the trip.
I agree. After seeing the first two episodes I don't care if there is any supernatural horror element. The situation is so desolate that a straight survival story is enough. Maybe even better.
Old 03-27-18, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looked like it would be perfect for me, but I'm not enjoying it thus far. I may hang with it if it is just going to be a limited series.
Old 03-28-18, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

True to Simmon's book it's really slooooooooooow
Old 03-28-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoyed the opening 2 episodes.
The authentic look seemed really credible to me.
Old 03-30-18, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Really enjoyed this -both the setting and photography are exceptional. I'm not familiar with the novel - I actually wish I was able to binge all 10 episodes!
Old 04-04-18, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
Really enjoyed this -both the setting and photography are exceptional. I'm not familiar with the novel - I actually wish I was able to binge all 10 episodes!
Same here. Just finished the first three episodes over the past two days. I'm not into the mystical stuff at all - and it looks like we are heading for much more of that - but the acting and production values have got me hooked regardless. Even though it is a bit slow, I don't find myself becoming impatient. Of course, that might in part have to do with the fact that I had three hours worth of the show on the DVR before I started watching. Now that I have a week between episodes that might change.
Old 04-04-18, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Already much better by episode 3 and 4 - I'll finish the season, because now I'm intrigued
Old 04-04-18, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The pacing is slow like the book. But I think I'm giving that a pass since they've done the atmosphere so well.

It does really bother me though that people keep talking outside in the arctic tundra and their breath doesn't freeze haha.
Old 04-04-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
The pacing is slow like the book. But I think I'm giving that a pass since they've done the atmosphere so well.

It does really bother me though that people keep talking outside in the arctic tundra and their breath doesn't freeze haha.
Same here. Watched 3 episodes

I will wait to binge it. Too slow moving and not really into the walrus that is attacking everyone or whatever it is. It is interesting subject matter but... I just sort of bored with the ships stuck in the ice and by this time the crew would be going bonkers. This seems like it would benefit binge watching. I can move right into the next one etc.
Old 04-04-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it is summer.
Old 04-04-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Already much better by episode 3 and 4 - I'll finish the season, because now I'm intrigued
Do you mean 2 & 3, or where did they air/stream ep4 a week in advance?
Old 04-05-18, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Koby
Do you mean 2 & 3, or where did they air/stream ep4 a week in advance?
All 10 episodes are available now with the ad free version of AMC
Old 04-05-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
All 10 episodes are available now with the ad free version of AMC
AMC Premiere is $5/month and only available to Comcast Xfinity TV subscribers:
http://www.amcpremiere.com/
Watch entire seasons — including episodes that haven’t aired yet — on your favorite device.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/29/am...-cord-cutters/
For now at least, you have to be a pay TV subscriber to use AMC Premiere — and specifically, a Comcast Xfinity TV customer.
Old 04-05-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Same here. Just finished the first three episodes over the past two days. I'm not into the mystical stuff at all - and it looks like we are heading for much more of that - but the acting and production values have got me hooked regardless.
Yeah. Very well made. I'm not into the mystical stuff either. Kind of has a Lost vibe.

I do have to say - every time they are drinking whiskey, I can only wonder how much booze did they stock the ships with.
Old 04-05-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The slow pacing sure picked up in a hurry during Ep3. Surprised they killed off a major character like the Captain so quickly. I have feeling the creature is mutant version of those giant seal like creatures that attack from under the ice. Don't remember the name, but they have shown them in artic movies before.
Old 04-05-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Surprised they killed off a major character like the Captain so quickly. I have feeling the creature is mutant version of those giant seal like creatures that attack from under the ice.
There's paw prints in the snow after the attack in ep3, they look like bear prints but bigger. Also, we got a brief glimpse of the creature in ep2, again looking a lot like a big bear. Finally, the first person attacked in ep3 was attacked from above, not below.

One thing I noticed was that while the Surgeon was taking the photo, a bit of snow dropped onto the tent from above. A bit of foreshadowing that something was up there knocking down snow perhaps.

Interesting that the creature may be helping the Eskimo woman, bringing her a dead seal. Also, I believe that, when they brought her father's effects to her, she was trying to tell them that she also wanted the charms from around his neck, the ones they ultimately buried with him down the ice hole. Did that piss off the "bear"?
Old 04-05-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
There's paw prints in the snow after the attack in ep3, they look like bear prints but bigger. Also, we got a brief glimpse of the creature in ep2, again looking a lot like a big bear. Finally, the first person attacked in ep3 was attacked from above, not below.
And of course it could just be a mutant polar bear as well. Saw the prints too, but must have missed this brief glimpse you say you saw.

Also, I believe that, when they brought her father's effects to her, she was trying to tell them that she also wanted the charms from around his neck, the ones they ultimately buried with him down the ice hole. Did that piss off the "bear"?
It's one of those charms that makes me think it's something other than just a polar bear. More of cross between a bear and one of those creatures I was describing.
Old 04-05-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
And of course it could just be a mutant polar bear as well. Saw the prints too, but must have missed this brief glimpse you say you saw.
It's right when Gore is killed, and the surgeon Harry Goodsir sees it running at Gore from a distance.

On the combined ep1 & 2 video that AMC has up for free right now, it's at the 1:14:18 mark:
http://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror/...for-broke-gore

Screenshot:
Spoiler:
Old 04-05-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AMC Premiere is $5/month and only available to Comcast Xfinity TV subscribers:
http://www.amcpremiere.com/

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/29/am...-cord-cutters/
I wasn't aware of this. Don't have Comcast Xfinity, so guess it doesn't matter to me.
Thanks for the info though.

It's right when Gore is killed, and the surgeon Harry Goodsir sees it running at Gore from a distance.

On the combined ep1 & 2 video that AMC has up for free right now, it's at the 1:14:18 mark:
http://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror/...for-broke-gore

Screenshot:
Spoiler:
Looks almost like some kind of wolf-bear hybrid in that screenshot. o.o
Old 04-05-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Koby
Looks almost like some kind of wolf-bear hybrid in that screenshot. o.o
Yeah, in looking at that scene again to get the screenshot, it seems to move a lot more like a wolf than a bear, but it's obviously way bigger than any wolf.

To my mind, I'm pretty near certain the creature is supernatural in nature. In the first episode, the Inuit spoke of the Terror crew being chased by something that could also walk on two legs like a man, and the Eskimo they shot was to perform a ritual to it, one the daughter now has to do. Notice that she stopped speaking after he father died, and he had his tongue cut out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.