Reload this Page >

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 3/26/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 3/26/18

Old 04-05-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Terror (AMC) -- From EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 3/26/18

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Surprised they killed off a major character like the Captain so quickly. I have feeling the creature is mutant version of those giant seal like creatures that attack from under the ice.
There's paw prints in the snow after the attack in ep3, they look like bear prints but bigger. Also, we got a brief glimpse of the creature in ep2, again looking a lot like a big bear. Finally, the first person attacked in ep3 was attacked from above, not below.

One thing I noticed was that while the Surgeon was taking the photo, a bit of snow dropped onto the tent from above. A bit of foreshadowing that something was up there knocking down snow perhaps.

Interesting that the creature may be helping the Eskimo woman, bringing her a dead seal. Also, I believe that, when they brought her father's effects to her, she was trying to tell them that she also wanted the charms from around his neck, the ones they ultimately buried with him down the ice hole. Did that piss off the "bear"?
Old 04-05-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
There's paw prints in the snow after the attack in ep3, they look like bear prints but bigger. Also, we got a brief glimpse of the creature in ep2, again looking a lot like a big bear. Finally, the first person attacked in ep3 was attacked from above, not below.
And of course it could just be a mutant polar bear as well. Saw the prints too, but must have missed this brief glimpse you say you saw.

Also, I believe that, when they brought her father's effects to her, she was trying to tell them that she also wanted the charms from around his neck, the ones they ultimately buried with him down the ice hole. Did that piss off the "bear"?
It's one of those charms that makes me think it's something other than just a polar bear. More of cross between a bear and one of those creatures I was describing.
Old 04-05-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
And of course it could just be a mutant polar bear as well. Saw the prints too, but must have missed this brief glimpse you say you saw.
It's right when Gore is killed, and the surgeon Harry Goodsir sees it running at Gore from a distance.

On the combined ep1 & 2 video that AMC has up for free right now, it's at the 1:14:18 mark:
http://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror/...for-broke-gore

Screenshot:
Spoiler:
Old 04-05-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AMC Premiere is $5/month and only available to Comcast Xfinity TV subscribers:
http://www.amcpremiere.com/

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/29/am...-cord-cutters/
I wasn't aware of this. Don't have Comcast Xfinity, so guess it doesn't matter to me.
Thanks for the info though.

It's right when Gore is killed, and the surgeon Harry Goodsir sees it running at Gore from a distance.

On the combined ep1 & 2 video that AMC has up for free right now, it's at the 1:14:18 mark:
http://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror/...for-broke-gore

Screenshot:
Spoiler:
Looks almost like some kind of wolf-bear hybrid in that screenshot. o.o
Old 04-05-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Looks almost like some kind of wolf-bear hybrid in that screenshot. o.o
Yeah, in looking at that scene again to get the screenshot, it seems to move a lot more like a wolf than a bear, but it's obviously way bigger than any wolf.

To my mind, I'm pretty near certain the creature is supernatural in nature. In the first episode, the Inuit spoke of the Terror crew being chased by something that could also walk on two legs like a man, and the Eskimo they shot was to perform a ritual to it, one the daughter now has to do. Notice that she stopped speaking after he father died, and he had his tongue cut out.
Old 04-05-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a similar screen grab of the charms/totems? Because the one of the creature is what got me thinking of something other than a traditional bear or wolf. But maybe I saw it wrong, the guy was terrible at carving, or it's not supposed to be the creature at all.

If it's just a giant bear/wolf then the series is going to seem more like an artic rip-off of the Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-05-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-05-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My initial impression of the animal, so far, is some kind of Native American spirit creature. The tokens/charms. The animal seems to be protective of the girl, it brought her food. My first thought was the animal was spirit of her grandfather. Maybe he was a medicine man. There could be more than one.

The basic protective spirit creature of a tribe that takes out white men it see as a threat to the tribe.
Old 04-05-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Told a friend I'd wait and binge it. Because I'd be pissed if I watched it every week and the mysterious creature turned out to be a bear! lol
Old 04-05-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
My initial impression of the animal, so far, is some kind of Native American spirit creature. The tokens/charms. The animal seems to be protective of the girl, it brought her food. My first thought was the animal was spirit of her grandfather. Maybe he was a medicine man. There could be more than one.
Well, something smashed up their boat-on-skis before they shot the grandfather, so it wasn't his deceased spirit that did that.
Old 04-16-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the book a lot, and was a little worried about how this would translate, but I'm really loving this show.

Really glad they cast an authentic looking woman for the eskimo. Was kinda surprised they didn't try and choose some super hot 20-something half-native girl. Just adds to the authentic nature of the show.

I will say while it was interesting to read about, watching a story about the navy where there's essentially no sailing, is really interesting twist.
Old 05-22-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that was dark.

I was amused that AMC kept advertising the "season" finale. I was wondering if they were going to try and stretch this across multiple season, but that finale was definitely the end of this story. Maybe AMC is angling to turn it into an anthology series.
Old 05-23-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe AMC is angling to turn it into an anthology series.
That's what I'm reading. Could see The Donner Party coming soon.
Old 05-23-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else think that the creature's face looked human?
Old 05-23-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Anyone else think that the creature's face looked human?
It very much had some human features. The ears, for one.

From an article about the design of Tuunbaq:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/...nbaq-episode-5
For Petzold, that is by design. "We wanted to make sure he looks human," he admitted. It's just human enough to put you at ease and make you feel sympathy for the creature before it strikes the killing blow.
Old 05-23-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Found two featurettes, the first has spoilers for the last episode:

Old 05-23-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they turn this into an anthology, I'm not sure I'll be back for the next series/season.

The Terror was okay, but it's not something that I would have watched if it had been something like AHS.
Old 05-23-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was strange how after moving so deliberately for 9.5 episodes things moved so quickly over the last 15 minutes. Then again I suppose everything after Crozier surviving the beast was basically epilogue.

It was interesting how the beast was just a part of the story like the weather. Typically the presence of a demonic monster would be the main plot point of any story. Not so here.
Old 05-23-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the anthology angle is odd to me, because the title "The Terror" is specifically from the book this season was based on, and that title is based on the fact that one of the actual boats was named The Terror. What would the next season be called? "The Terror: Donner Party" for example? What's the theme of the series, supernatural survival horror based on actual events?

I'd be more interested if AMC and other networks just produced more limited series of things that are interesting, instead of trying to extend every show into an "anthology series."
Old 05-23-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the anthology angle is odd to me, because the title "The Terror" is specifically from the book this season was based on, and that title is based on the fact that one of the actual boats was named The Terror. What would the next season be called? "The Terror: Donner Party" for example? What's the theme of the series, supernatural survival horror based on actual events?
Maybe in the opening scene we see "The Terror" carved into the back of one of the Conestoga wagons as they depart from Springfield, Illinois.
Old 06-22-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This was renewed for a second season, set during WWII: https://deadline.com/2018/06/the-ter...mc-1202415649/

It appears entirely unrelated to the first season, with different show runners and different creative staff.
Old 06-10-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I making my way through this on Hulu. I'm LOVING it. But Im a sucker Period British Navy stuff/drama so that's a huge factor in my enjoyment. But I 'm also interested in the Mystical Angle as I'm not too familiar with Inuit Mysticism.
Old 06-11-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
This was renewed for a second season, set during WWII: https://deadline.com/2018/06/the-ter...mc-1202415649/

It appears entirely unrelated to the first season, with different show runners and different creative staff.
AMC is turning it into an anthology format from season to season.