Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Crossing (ABC) -- S: Steve Zahn, Sandrine Holt

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Crossing (ABC) -- S: Steve Zahn, Sandrine Holt

The Pilot is already out in OnDemand, also online in abc.com, and all the streaming sites: Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.

We watched it tonight, sci-fi, a lot of mysteries, questions, etc. Yeah, if we have a second season we will be really lucky!

Edit: Official Start Date is Monday April 2 at 10pm

THE CROSSING — Refugees from a war-torn country seek asylum in a small American fishing town, only the country these people are from is America – and the war they are fleeing hasn’t happened yet. As the government tries to uncover the truth behind this mysterious migration only one thing is certain: The lives of the people here — both the townspeople and these newcomers — will never be the same. Writers Dan Dworkin & Jay Beattie executive produce with Jason Reed. “The Crossing” stars Steve Zahn as Jude Miller, Natalie Martinez as Reece, Sandrine Holt as Emma Ren, Rick Gomez as Nestor, Jay Karnes as Craig Lindauer, Marcuis Harris as Caleb, Simone Kessel as Rebecca, Kelly Missal as Hannah, Rob Campbell as Paul, Grant Harvey as Roy, Bailey Skodje as Leah, Jon D’Leo as Will, Luc Roderique as Bryce and Tommy Bastow as Marshall. The pilot is directed by Rob Bowman. The series is from ABC Studios.
Old 03-21-18, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
re: The Crossing (ABC) -- S: Steve Zahn, Sandrine Holt

I saw it's on Hulu, but it doesn't officially air until April.

I like the promo...."From the network that brought you Lost"
Old 03-22-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I laughed at that too.

But watching the pilot I can see why they decided to go with that line.
Old 03-22-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I watched this today on Hulu. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Has a very interesting concept.

I won't go into detailed plot points since it hasn't officially aired on TV yet, but it's definitely a high concept science fiction serial mystery like Lost.

I noticed it was directed by Rob Bowman, who directed The X-Files movie and many episodes of Castle. I thought he did a good job creating this atmosphere.

I'll keep my expectations in check in see how it goes. But, I haven't seen a high concept serial show that was successful in years. There have been many failures....cough FlashForward, The Event, Day Break etc. etc.

I'm glad the Sheriff is Zahn as supposed to some hunky stud these show usually cast. Zahn seemed to work well with the material.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-22-18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-23-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree, it's only the pilot but it was good.

And same, keeping low expectations but crossing fingers.
Old 03-23-18, 01:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

The leading sentence in the show's description above is hilarious.

"Refugees from a war-torn country seek asylum in a small American fishing town, only the country these people are from is America – and the war they are fleeing hasn’t happened yet."

I may have to check this out.
Old 03-23-18, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How similar to Travelers on Netflix?
Old 04-02-18, 06:38 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Premieres tonight.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vq4w6GhDTmU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-02-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: The Crossing (ABC) -- S: Steve Zahn, Sandrine Holt

I also watched the pilot on Hulu a couple weeks back thanks to this thread and I am definitely in. It could easily go off the rails quickly or just end up quickly pulled from the air due to low ratings but here's to hoping. It is so different from so many other shows out there that I currently watch that I am rooting for it to succeed.

I tend to give shows like this a chance but a high concept show like this may not survive long enough to make it through the May sweeps period.

I watched a lot of the shows DJariya noted in his post but oftentimes I would get less than 6 episodes in before learning the show was cancelled and even if the network let the shows already produced episodes air I usually moved on to something else before finishing things up (the remaining eps that would be aired would often leave the viewer hanging anyway as actions in episodes would be left adrift with no chance of threads being pulled together for a partial resolution of a story).

It is always good when a show that is not another medical/police/law drama or procedural makes it to the air.
Old 04-03-18, 01:52 PM
Oh hai MarkItZero! #Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We watched this last night and I think I'm in. Just enough twists and mystique to it to hopefully keep things entertaining.
Old 04-03-18, 05:05 PM

Definitely has my interest and the Pilot moved along at a good pace. Hoping they can keep to a tight story and not lose themselves. So hard for these type of shows to succeed. Do you write for a season story with a hint to season 2 or do you write from the get go for multiple seasons.
Old 04-03-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Now that this has aired, I am interested in seeing how these survivors traveled back in time. I am also interested in seeing the circumstances in the future that led them to traveling back.

And it looks like that Homeland security guy (Jay Karnes) is one of the evil travelers who came beforehand.

Again, this is another in a long line of high concept serialized science fiction shows and for whatever reason they never seem to last on network TV. We'll see how this goes.
Old 04-03-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Flatlander
Definitely has my interest and the Pilot moved along at a good pace. Hoping they can keep to a tight story and not lose themselves. So hard for these type of shows to succeed. Do you write for a season story with a hint to season 2 or do you write from the get go for multiple seasons.
Whenever these kinds of shows are pitched to the networks, they are usually pitched as a 5-6 season arc.

I recall reading that FlashForward was designed by David Goyer to go 5-6 seasons. Obviously that never happened.
Old 04-03-18, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I loved Journeyman and Daybreak. I wish The Crossing great success but I expect it will go the way of those two.
Old 04-03-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

So this is basically the 4400 from years ago. Pass.
Old 04-04-18, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
How similar to Travelers on Netflix?
Very similar - especially with the folk who went separately and the possible lets change the future plot ... But enjoyed it enough to give it a try until Travelers season 3.
Old 04-04-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Good pilot. We’re in...
Old 04-04-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it enough but Steve Zahn spends the whole episode looking like someone just past the camara farted and he just caught a whiff. It was distracting after 15 minutes and hilarious after 30.
Old 04-04-18, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fanboy
I liked it enough but Steve Zahn spends the whole episode looking like someone just past the camara farted and he just caught a whiff. It was distracting after 15 minutes and hilarious after 30.
Okay then, this post made me lightly chuckle. I like that Steve Zahn's character can tell when Sandrine Holt is bullshitting him.

I watched the pilot again last night and yeah...it was one of the stronger pilots I have seen in a while so here is to hoping we get enough episodes for at least a few plot points to be fully or at least partially resolved.
Old 04-04-18, 01:17 PM
Oh hai MarkItZero! #Banned

Ratings were pretty low. As much as I liked the pilot, I fear I better not get too attached as it may be just a one season run kinda show.
Old 04-04-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

It felt like one of those Lost wannabes from a decade ago... Invasion, The Event, Threshold, Surface, et al.
Old 04-04-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Other than the timeline (mid 22nd Century) Apex sounds a lot like the Draka from S. M. Stirling's "The Domination of the Draka" series.
Old 04-05-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Decent pilot, though I thought that reveal near the end was too soon in the series. Networks just don't allow characters and narrative development to breathe anymore, way too much plot is advanced on a weekly basis.

I'm in for now.
Old 04-10-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

There's more action in this than I expected. I'm liking Natalie Martinez in this show a lot more than the one she was on last year that got canceled.
Old 04-10-18, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There's more action in this than I expected. I'm liking Natalie Martinez in this show a lot more than the one she was on last year that got canceled.
Yup, I had to do a double take when I saw her and said to myself that I could have sworn I have recently seen her on TV and then I remembered she was on APB. She is great in this. The week 2 ratings were okay, but considering how low they were for the premiere that does not necessarily bode well for this shows future. Here's to hoping because I am a fan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.