Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol (ABC) -- Season 16 Thread -- Premieres 3/11/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: American Idol (ABC) -- Season 16 Thread -- Premieres 3/11/18

You do realize that part of the process of this show is to sell personalities and personal stories along with their growth? Any record company can crank out and manufacture singing “talent”. It would be bad TV to just have people sing and that’s it.

Carrie Underwood, who is probably this show’s biggest star, was a shy country girl who came from a small town in Oklahoma and matured greatly during her season.

Same with Kelly Clarkson. Shy girl from Texas who was very raw 16 years ago.

A music competition show like this is also a drama, so it has to add these elements.
Old 03-22-18, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
You do realize that part of the process of this show is to sell personalities and personal stories along with their growth?

A music competition show like this is also a drama, so it has to add these elements.
Which gets back to my original point that no one should be surprised when the show uses creative editing, manipulation, and the occasional outright staging to create those elements.

The wife loves the show and I watch it with her, but I don't have much use for it until the live shows.
Old 03-23-18, 04:08 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It's important to point out that what we are seeing on these audition shows isn't even the 'best' of what the judges are actually seeing.

I have watched every season (sad to admit!) and I can't remember one time seeing any of the top 5 or even top 10 they ended up with having been featured in one of these early episodes.

Everytime I've ever picked a favorite during the audition shows they never even ended up making it to top 20.

I think the audition shows are more about finding entertaining backstories to string viewers along for a few weeks until they get to the competition.
Old 03-23-18, 08:37 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I'll be stunned if ABC brings this back next year. Whoever is responsible for pouring a shit ton of money into the salaries of these people should get the axe.
Old 03-24-18, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
It's important to point out that what we are seeing on these audition shows isn't even the 'best' of what the judges are actually seeing.

I have watched every season (sad to admit!) and I can't remember one time seeing any of the top 5 or even top 10 they ended up with having been featured in one of these early episodes.

Everytime I've ever picked a favorite during the audition shows they never even ended up making it to top 20.

I think the audition shows are more about finding entertaining backstories to string viewers along for a few weeks until they get to the competition.

I think Carrie Underwood was featured pretty heavily in her audition episode. Could be wrong though, been a long time.
Old 03-24-18, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Just watched Monday's episode. I also did not like the way that played out with the sisters.

Granted, I liked the Red head sister better, but that would have been so messed up if they chose Payton over Taryn.

I know the show is about selling people who they think is marketable as a music star, but I don't think the judges should have asked Payton to perform. She wasn't there to do it. She said she was there to support her sister. But, I guess she got caught up in the moment and it was hard for her to decline.

Yeah this is what I was trying to say albeit very poorly.

Also I think there was no chance they took the redhead without taking the first sister. Despite the forced drama they added into the segment.
Old 03-25-18, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by collven
I think Carrie Underwood was featured pretty heavily in her audition episode. Could be wrong though, been a long time.
I clearly remember Scotty McCreery's audition, which was built around how "mature" his voice sounded, compared to his looks.
Old 03-26-18, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Glad the audition shows are finally over.

Looking forward to the Hollywood week shows (starting tonight) That's when the show actually gets more interesting and cutthroat.

As for last night's show, I didn't remember "Ada Vox" or her previous persona Adam Sanders. Interesting that they're letting a man perform as a woman.

I didn't think they should have let the girl who was a fan of Lionel & sang "Zoom" with him go through. She was kind of a mess when she sang that Toni Braxton song.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-26-18 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We said the same thing. And the two girls who mumble sang.

We liked the girl with the big wire frame glasses who sang with her acoustic guitar.
She should have gone to Hollywood
Old 03-27-18, 03:22 PM

So now there is an uproar over poor Katy Perry's joke last night where she told four girls that only 3 could continue and to choose one who had to leave.

The joke was that she was just kidding and they all were able to continue. Of course the girl who volunteered to be booted broke down in tears and had her soul crushed.

Everyone is criticizing Katy saying she is a cruel bitch.

I thought it was HILARIOUS!

They have to do something to liven up these dull shows. Nothing is really different except the channel its on and the judges. I don't understand why they are even calling it a reboot.

People need to get off Katy's beautiful curvaceous back!
Old 03-27-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now there is an uproar over poor Katy Perry's joke last night where she told four girls that only 3 could continue and to choose one who had to leave. [..] I thought it was HILARIOUS! They have to do something to liven up these dull shows.
If they have to resort to that type of behavior in some (hopefully futile) attempt to get high enough ratings to justify the exorbitant salary they're paying Katie, maybe the show should have just stayed dead. I don't really blame Katie. The show itself likes these types of things.

I've read seemingly every possible version of how it's more entertaining when the judges are mean to people, going back to the days of Simon Cowell. And the closely related justifications for showing bad auditions (bonus points for dream crushing feedback for delusional contestants who have performed for multiple producers to get to that point). That must be why The Voice, which doesn't treat their contestants like this, is doing so much worse in the ratings.

And just in case someone is tempted to suggest that if someone has such thin skin that they "can't take" it, then they're not made for the music business, just stop.
Old 03-28-18, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk God

I finished the 1st Hollywood week episode tonight.

A little surprised by some of the cuts.

That was a little fucked up what Katy did to those poor girls. It was funny, but in the moment when those girls were being filmed it probably felt more mean spirited.

It's early, but I'm a fan of Alyssa Raghu. She's only 15 and I think she's going to be a stunning young woman when she gets older.

And I disagree with bluesix, I don't think Hollywood week is dull. It really shows how well some of these contestants handle the pressure and their ability to work together. The formula is still the same as the previous 15 seasons, but I always found this part of the show compelling to watch.
Old 03-28-18, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MikahC
That must be why The Voice, which doesn't treat their contestants like this, is doing so much worse in the ratings.
Huh? WTF are you talking about?

The Voice is the most watched non-scripted show on NBC. And it was the most watched show on Monday beating Idol and all scripted shows.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dai...march-26-2018/
Old 03-28-18, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Huh? WTF are you talking about?

The Voice is the most watched non-scripted show on NBC. And it was the most watched show on Monday beating Idol and all scripted shows.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dai...march-26-2018/
I suppose I could use emoticons to denote sarcasm for the people who can't detect it without a picture to guide the way, but you know what? Nah.
Old 03-28-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MikahC
I suppose I could use emoticons to denote sarcasm for the people who can't detect it without a picture to guide the way, but you know what? Nah.
Oh I see what you were trying to say there. I had to read your post again.

Geez normally your a straight shooter, but you’re being a little snarky there on both posts.
Old 04-04-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sunday’s ep had a vote that took place on The celebrity dancing show who’s name has totally dropped out of my brain, to bring back someone who was sent home on Idol.

Did these two shows air at the same time? I thought Idol came on after that season was over.
Old 04-04-18, 11:26 PM

That was a clip from last year's Dancing with the Stars. 3 Idol hopefuls who didn't get a ticket to Hollywood performed on the American Music Awards in November and America voted to give one of them a second chance.
Old 04-16-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm caught up through last night's show.

Never heard of Bobby Bones prior to this season, but I think he's been a good mentor. Very personable and tries to give encouraging feedback to the contestants. These contestants being very raw, I think it helps with their confidence.

As of last night, I think 2 of my favorites are still Alyssa Raghu and Jurnee.
Old 04-16-18, 09:50 PM

Agree with you about Bobby Bones...at first I thought Seacrest started using a darker hair dye but then i realized Bobby Bones is actually good-looking.

This week's duets shows have been a huge mistake in my opinion. Most of the kids this year can't hold a candle to their duet partners and seeing them next to them only makes it more obvious. Some of the duet stars like Lea Michele and Colbie Caillat you could tell were trying desperately to hold themselves back so they wouldn't out-sing who they were with.

Really strange collection of singers the show has picked to go through to 'America's Vote'.

The legitimate ones with good voices like Effie Passero and Alysha Raghu get tossed aside for people like Ada Vox who clearly can't hold a candle to them.

There is a couple country music singers, a rocker, a couple folksy chicks, three black dudes who all sound alike....

At this point Mara Christine is the only one giving me Kelly Clarkson vibes but not sure she has the personality to make it through.

Ratings are crashing for this show and it seems like a chore to sit through these 2 hours shows more now than it ever has. I think this format just doesn't work anymore.

Next time wait 10 years before doing reboot.
Old 04-16-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I believe these 2 hour performance shows were shot about a month ago. I remember on Ryan's morning show, they made a big deal of him singing "Hello" in last week's airing when it was originally taped back in early March. Ryan posted that clip on his Instagram back then.

I've managed to stay caught up somehow, but yeah the format for these performance shows are kind of a slog to sit through.
Old 04-16-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I like the format this season.

The solo and the duet shows have a smaller feel being filmed in front of a smaller crown instead of the huge theater like previous seasons.

I fell out of my chair Sunday when Luke Bryan said he was not aware of the song Brand New Key.
Old 04-16-18, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always wondered how much input the 3 judges actually have on who stays and who goes.

I can't believe the producers don't have a ton of input on those choices.
Old 04-24-18, 05:00 AM

how far this show has fallen!

nobody commented last night which leads me to believe nobody here is watching this anymore....

probably for the best, this has to be one of the worst top 10 lineups they've ever had.

it amazes me how all the people who looked so promising during the city audition shows all flamed out or seem ridiculous now.

I won't bother with the guys who all suck. Or Catie Turner who is about 5 years too late from riding the 'adork-able' wave!

The small uproar I saw online over Michelle Sussette making it thru was nothing compared to how I felt about Ada Vox making it through over Mara Justine!

I know Mara came across a little too 'early Taylor Swift' with her unrealistic histrionics about how grateful she is and weepiness which was annoying as hell but the girl can really sing. She has a deep bluesy voice with a wide range that reminds me of Kelly Clarkson. No matter, she is out!

Instead we get lesbian Jurnee who sounds (and looks) like a bad Ariana Grande impression and Ada Vox who never should have made it past Hollywood week.

I get it. Drag queens are trendy. Hell I love RuPauls Drag Race and have watched every episode. But there is no way in hell Ada Vox is going to win American Idol. Voice is mediocre at best and the drag isn't even that good. As Michelle Visage would say, 'Too Theatrical!'

I'm starting to understand how Trump got elected. If Middle America gets this shoved down their throat by the Hollywood elite its no wonder they watch crap like Young Sheldon instead!

Last edited by bluesix; 04-24-18 at 05:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-24-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah this was a bad top ten.

Jurnee and the blonde girl who had the two buns on her head, she sang Walk Like an Egyptian, bothmwere so darn boring last night.

The 16 year old girl not getting through is awful. She is probably the best natural singer of all these other people.

Susset is more worried about being a supermodel.

Catie is just ridiculous and the most annoying character I’ve seen on this show.

I don’t have an issue with Vox because I think he can sing But might not be the type of voice this show usually goes for.

Out of all the last 20 or so Mara Justine should have won this competition
Old 04-24-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

nobody commented last night which leads me to believe nobody here is watching this anymore....
Not a valid correlation.

Ada Vox making it through over Mara Justine!
You just broke my heart a little.

I watch, but I don't watch live. I'm 2 episodes behind at this point, so I didn't see Sunday's performance show or the results. Coming out of last week, Mara was my favorite. I enjoyed both her performance on "Fight Song" (Duet) and "Run To You" (Solo). In fact, they are amongst the few performances I've saved from the season, and she's the first person I went to YouTube and Google to find out more about. Turns out she's been at it quite awhile, and was even a contestant on America's Got Talent back when she was 11.

YouTube - Mara Justine

I read somewhere that her Sunday performance "wasn't good" but it didn't even cross my mind that it could be bad enough for her to be eliminated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.