DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E01/02) -- "Can You Reverse the Curse?" -- 2/28/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/643199-survivor-ghost-island-s36e01-02-can-you-reverse-curse-2-28-18-a.html)

DJariya 02-28-18 02:39 AM

Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E01/02) -- "Can You Reverse the Curse?" -- 2/28/18

http://wwwimage3.cbsstatic.com/thumb...ason36cast.jpg

A GROUP OF NEW SURVIVORS ATTEMPT TO "REVERSE THE CURSE" OF BAD PAST GAME DECISIONS, ON THE TWO-HOUR SEASON PREMIERE OF "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, FEB. 28

"Can You Reverse the Curse?" - A group of new Survivors attempt to "reverse the curse" of bad past game decisions. Also, one castaway will be the first to visit Ghost Island, and panic sets in at the first tribal council of the season, on the two-hour season premiere of SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Feb. 28 (8:00-10:01 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

"NAVITI" TRIBE (Purple)
Angela Perkins, Army Veteran

Chelsea Townsend, EMT

Desiree Afuye, Student

Kellyn Bechtold, Career Counselor

Morgan Ricke, Marine Animal Trainer

Bradley Kleihege, Law Student

Chris Noble, Male Model

Domenick Abbate, Construction Supervisor

Sebastian Noel, Fishing Guide

Wendell Holland, Furniture Designer

"MALOLO" TRIBE (Orange)
Jenna Bowman, Account Executive

Laurel Johnson, Financial Consultant

Libby Vincek, Social Media Strategist

Stephanie Gonzalez, Graphic Sales

Stephanie Johnson, Yoga Instructor

Brendan Shapiro, Physical Education Teacher

Donathan Hurley, Caretaker

Jacob Derwin, Music Teacher

James Lim, Business Analyst

Michael Yerger, Real Estate Agent

2 hour premiere tonight.

I took last season off. I watched the premiere, but wasn't feeling it. I think I needed a break from this show.

We'll see how things go for this Spring cycle.

Inhumans99 02-28-18 11:25 AM

Re: Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E01/02) -- "Can You Reverse the Curse?" -- 2/28/18

As noted in the last Survivor Season thread I soured on the last season fairly quick (one of the super rare times I did not bother with the reunion show...I just fast forwarded to where they previewed this season of Survivor) but this is once again an all new cast of survivors which I like so I am going into this season with an open mind.

I will say that because of the last season I now understand why they constantly return to the well of bringing back previous fan favorite heroes/villains and super fans...I :heart: seasons with original tribe members but boy oh boy some of them just turn into dud seasons.

Fingers crossed.

hdnmickey 02-28-18 11:56 AM

Re: Survivor: Ghost Island (S36E01/02) -- "Can You Reverse the Curse?" -- 2/28/18

I holding out hope that the lack artificial tribe labels will translate to a more tolerable season. But I fear that this whole new gimmick, along with them casting this like it's Big Brother (nothing but head cases) will end up with another dud season. If so this will be the end. Lats season was so bad, that we're not willing to waste time on another one.

lwhy? 02-28-18 01:01 PM

I watched the casting video of CBS.com and Probst says they tried to cast all "Survivor Super Fans" for this season. Some of the "Super Fans" are great like Cochran (Some people may find him annoying though..) and some are really, really annoying like Shirin. I hope this is a good season since I disliked last season so much that I didn't watch the last three episodes....

gryffinmaster 02-28-18 01:06 PM

With this theme, I kinda wish they had gone with previous contestants.

wirefan 02-28-18 04:18 PM

So is this Survivor just reliving old mistakes (as filler in case the cast are duds) or are there going to be twists that are tied to them?

lwhy? 02-28-18 04:35 PM

So is this just long one episode or a double episode with two eliminations?

Bill Needle 02-28-18 10:10 PM

Who will host the Survivor Roast with Jeff Ross gone? Maybe Mini Vince Vaughn from the other tribe.

gryffinmaster 02-28-18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by wirefan (Post 13280110)
So is this Survivor just reliving old mistakes (as filler in case the cast are duds) or are there going to be twists that are tied to them?

Looks like a bit of both.

I enjoyed how the discovery of an idol or advantage included a “clue” description for the player to read, about how the person in a previous season screwed up using that particular one. Keeps ‘em on their toes.

Finisher 03-01-18 12:20 AM

This show is just hellbent on forcing these "themes" even if it doesn't make the show more watchable. How about just casting memorable players? Maybe it's the shift toward casting "super fans" that is hurting? I dunno, just feels like another instantly forgettable group.

AaronHernandez 03-01-18 01:20 AM

They really need to fire Jeff,he is trying to force narrative's with what is not actually happening. How is that one skinny guy waiting forever to go underwater and needing to be cheered on by his tribe inspiring?

Axeramm 03-01-18 01:38 AM

second guy voted out should have just said that he didnt win on Ghost Island rather than making a fake idol knowing they would try to flush it out.

Finisher 03-01-18 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez (Post 13280561)
They really need to fire Jeff, he is trying to force narratives with what is not actually happening. How is that one skinny guy waiting forever to go underwater and needing to be cheered on by his tribe inspiring?

This was almost as cringe worthy as when Jeff made that huge production out of Cirie barely getting her fat ass out of the water a couple seasons ago. None of this shit is even remotely worthy of a "hero moment" but damn if that doesn't stop Jeff from all but whipping out his junk and jerking it right then and there.

Josh-da-man 03-01-18 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez (Post 13280561)
They really need to fire Jeff,he is trying to force narrative's with what is not actually happening. How is that one skinny guy waiting forever to go underwater and needing to be cheered on by his tribe inspiring?

Why the fuck do you go on Survivor if you can't swim?

Inhumans99 03-01-18 10:45 AM

Y'all are way too harsh...okay premiere episodes and I like the dude from Kentucky already so it does not get under my skin at how much enthusiasm Jeff threw at him during the challenge.

Once again I had to cringe that my precious eye candy on the show got knocked out early in the game...I believe Stephanie Gonzales is the lady pictured in that black one piece in the group pic, yum. However, the other Stephanie is still in the game and that body...lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I did like that it is luck of the draw that a smashed urn on Ghost Island will contain a clue, but I also have to ask...were there instructions that they had to smash the urns in order from what looked to be left to right or is it just that folks sent to Ghost Island assume they have to break the urns in order?

I was actually hoping that Donathan would just randomly smash an urn.

wirefan 03-01-18 02:20 PM

I liked the 2 hour opener - gave the audience a better chance to get to know the cast.

Jeff needs to turn the hyperbole down. Donathon having a hero moment 2 shows in leaves nowhere for Jeff to go when he has cranked the hyperbole knob to 11 so early on.

Also when people are finding idols without a clue in complete darkness a couple of days into the season, it is time to hide the idols a bit better. I get they want chaos for TV, but it turns the game into a crapshoot early on.

lwhy? 03-01-18 05:57 PM

Man Jacob was clueless. You would think a "super fan" would know better. Gonzalez was the typically hot and pushy woman that gets voted off first. They could have had a better chance in the swimming competition if they had her (assuming she could swim over Donathan and James). I too hate to see the eye candy go so soon....

leeta 03-01-18 06:19 PM

She may have sealed her fate when she stood up during tribal and tried to give the impression that she was running things.

gryffinmaster 03-01-18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by leeta (Post 13281291)
She may have sealed her fate when she stood up during tribal and tried to give the impression that she was running things.

:up:

The definition of "playing too hard", waaaaay too soon.

Double_Oh_7 03-01-18 08:16 PM

I'll miss Jacob's Jewfro.

SunMonkey 03-01-18 08:37 PM

I don’t get a villain vibe from anyone yet.

dino88 03-01-18 08:44 PM

If he sticks around long enough, I can see Chris taking that role. He comes across as a dick.

hdnmickey 03-02-18 08:53 AM

I could do with less of the way they present it all, but I'm loving this Ghost Island twist so far.

They need to go back to hiding a CLUE to the idol in obvious spots, making them make a second effort to retrieve it from an impossible to find (without the clue) location.

Glad the first two sent packing were the most annoying. Hopefully that trend continues. I believe the one player (don't remember which one) was correct in that the tribe switch is coming right away. Probably realized what I did. That the tribes are currently incredibly mismatched and that one tribe would continue to lose until they had nobody left. So much so that it seems they did it on purpose.

hdnmickey 03-02-18 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by SunMonkey (Post 13281395)
I don’t get a villain vibe from anyone yet.

Maybe not pure villain, but Domenick definitely reminds me of the same kind of overbearing dick, that they must feel they have to cast each season now. Started with Hantz and continued through Joe last season. Hopefully he is the first to go when his tribe ends up going to tribal.

Fanboy 03-02-18 10:48 AM

I don't know if she is going for a Malcolm X/Farrakhan thing with those specs but whenever I see Laurel, I immediately think of Humpty Hump.

https://i.imgur.com/dzLKuEo.png https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c6/03/f0/c...gs-burgers.jpg

Also glad to see Jacob voted off since he, at least in my kids eyes, bore too much physical resemblance to yours truly. I disagree as I have more of a wild Irish mop than a J-fro.