Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (HBO documentary) D: Apatow -- premieres 3/26/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (HBO documentary) D: Apatow -- premieres 3/26/18

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 07:15 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

<iframe width="605" height="340" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/paerP97n4aA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When Garry Shandling passed away in 2016, he was widely remembered as a top stand-up comic and the star of two of the most innovative sitcoms in TV history. But to those who knew him, the “real” Garry Shandling was a far more complex person. Now, Judd Apatow has created a remarkable portrait of this iconic comedian in the four-and-a-half-hour documentary The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling.

Epic in scope and intimate in detail, The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling features conversations with more than 40 of Shandling’s family and friends, including James L. Brooks, Jim Carrey, Sacha Baron Cohen, David Coulier, Jon Favreau, Jay Leno, Kevin Nealon, Conan O’Brien, Bob Saget, Jerry Seinfeld and Sarah Silverman, and four decades’ worth of TV appearances, along with personal journals, private letters and candid home audio and video footage that reveal his brilliant mind and restless soul.

“Give what you didn’t get,” wrote Shandling in a journal late in his life, the mantra of a self-proclaimed “spiritual warrior” still challenging himself to transcend his own insecurities, despite achieving so much in the face of loss, betrayal and tragic twists of fate. From childhood tragedy to heartbreak, professional betrayal and unexpected physical trauma, to his emergence as a powerful teacher, friend and guiding spirit for a new generation of talent, Apatow’s documentary not only chronicles one man’s ability to survive the ups and downs of a life in show business, but also offers a profound investigation into the power of comedy to elevate the human spirit.

Part two of The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling offers an extensive examination of The Larry Sanders Show, his landmark HBO comedy series. Colleagues remember the demands of producing material that met Shandling’s high standards, while his diaries reveal an ongoing struggle with complacency and search for authenticity.

A successful gig hosting the Emmys, creating unique extras for the DVD release of The Larry Sanders Show and an appearance with his friend Jerry Seinfeld on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee (where Shandling opined about death and mortality) hinted at some of the lessons he’d learned in his lifelong quest for peace.

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling is directed and executive produced by Judd Apatow; co-executive produced by Joe Beshenkovsky and Mike Bonfiglio; supervising producer, Josh Church; produced by Sam Fishell and Amanda Glaze; co-producers, Wayne Federman and Chris Wilcha; edited by Joe Beshenkovsky; directors of photography, Matt Bass and Jonathan Furmanski; music by Mike Andrews; animation by Stefan Nadelman. For HBO: supervising producer, Sara Bernstein; executive producer, Sheila Nevins.

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling airs March 26 and 27.
Old 02-23-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (HBO documentary) D: Apatow -- premieres 3/26/

Wow, that’s a lot of content. I loved Gary. I will watch.
Old 03-26-18, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (HBO documentary) D: Apatow -- premieres 3/26/

Bump

This airs tonight on HBO. Either set your DVRs or log into HBO Go/Now the next day to see it.
Old 03-26-18, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I missed the initial post about this. Definitely interested, but no HBO. I'll keep my eyes open for it should it be released in another format.
Old 03-26-18, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I missed the initial post about this. Definitely interested, but no HBO. I'll keep my eyes open for it should it be released in another format.
HBO Now has a free 30 day trial, if interested.
Old 03-26-18, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
HBO Now has a free 30 day trial, if interested.
Thanks. Might look into it.
Old 03-28-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I watched both parts last night and loved it. For those who might be intimidated by the length, I thought it went by real easy. The way part 1 ended made me immediately want to start the second part. It really made me appreciate the man far more and I've always considered myself a fan. It also left me wanting to watch his shows. I watched a lot of Larry Sanders but not every episode. I don't think I ever watched any of his previous show. Might be time to rectify that.
Old 03-28-18, 01:47 PM

It was good documentary and fitting tribute.

Kind of crazy how some people featured or discussed either died recently or had their careers suffer from controversy after Weinstein-gate.
Old 04-07-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

It was pretty good. I was not a huge fan but I liked this doc.

I wonder if Garry did not get burned out by the daily grind of a talk show how he would have fared long term in late night and maybe if he would have gotten the Tonight Show over Leno.

Surprised no mention of Warren Beatty since Garry appeared in some of his films and I assumed they were buddies.

Was he really small below the waist since he always kept making jokes about his D?
Old 04-07-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I was always a big fan of Garry Shandling's standup, but I did not get a chance to watch his 2 shows back in the day. I have a real appreciation for him now as he never really sold out like most Hollywood people do as he always wanted to put out a quality product. In saying that, it seems like he was too much a perfectionist and really never got to enjoy anything he did.

I do remember when he was Guest Hosting the Tonight Show with Leno back in the 80's as I always wondered why Leno got the job. I didn't realize Shandling took himself out of the running, but he would have been a better host. I would have watched a Late Night show every night if guys like Norm MacDonald or Garry Shandling hosted, as they brought something different then the current lame crew of Fallon, Kimmel, Corden, etc. (Conan is the only one I watch).
Old 04-07-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Gary’s estate has started to use his twitter account and has been tweeting Gary’s random thoughts.

Seems really odd to see a tweet from his twitter pop up.

They really should rename the account to Gary’s Zen Diary.
Old 04-22-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Finished Part Two last night and thought it was a tremendous tribute to Garry Shandling...And it's weird because some of his best friends were people I never would've assumed would've been hanging out with him...Like I had no idea that Bob Saget and Dave Coulier were tight with Garry and would go to his house and play basketball with him (the doc points out that they knew him long before they started doing Full House, but I just thought it was neat, as I didn't know that)...My favorite scenes involved him being backstage at The Comedy Store (or some other LA Comedy Club) with Chris Rock, Kevin Nealon, and Jerry Seinfeld...My only wish is that they had more backstage footage like that with him interacting with various comedians who he was friendly with...

The doc actually made me want to start watching The Larry Sanders Show again...I had watched Season One, but hadn't started Season Two, so yesterday I binged the last few episodes of Season One again, and am now on Disc 3 of Season Two...Will probably watch a bunch of Season Three tonight...It takes a little bit of time to get used to, but by the third episode of Season One you're probably hooked (The Spider Episode)...And, man, I totally have way more appreciation of Rip Torn now...He was brilliantly funny in this...And Jeffrey Tambor also knocked it out of the park (I'm ignoring the current allegations against him; I'm just saying he was great in this particular role)...And the sheer number of awesome guest stars is staggering...

Last edited by Goonies85; 04-22-18 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling