Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Private Eyes (ION) -- S: Jason Priestley -- Premieres 2/11/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-11-18, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

ION Television today announced the premiere date for its all-new original series starring Jason Priestley. "Private Eyes" will make its network debut Sunday, February 11, starting at 9/8c PM. The 10-episode season from Entertainment One (eOne) will air each Sunday night with back-to-back new episodes. ION will also air encore runs on Tuesdays beginning at 11/10c PM. ION Television is the exclusive U.S. television home for current and future seasons of the drama series - the latest in a string of successful originals to join the network from eOne, including "Saving Hope" and "The Listener." The series also joins ION's top 10-rated lineup of acclaimed programming, including "Criminal Minds," "Law & Order: SVU," "Blue Bloods," "NCIS: Los Angeles" and "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation." ION Television will support the series launch with a nationwide on-air, print and digital advertising campaign. The network will also promote "Private Eyes" through a consumer sweepstakes on iontelevision.com beginning January 29 leading up to the night of the premiere. "Private Eyes" follows the story of ex-pro hockey player Matt Shade (Priestley), who irrevocably changes his life when he decides to team up with fierce P.I. Angie Everett (Cindy Sampson) to form an unlikely investigative powerhouse. Through their new partnership, Shade is forced to examine who he has become and who he wants to be while investigating high-stakes crimes.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
Cindy Sampson as Angie Everett
Jason Priestley as Matt Shade

CREW INFORMATION:
Alan McCullough as EP
James Thorpe as EP
Jason Priestley as EP
John Morayniss as EP
Lloyd Segan as EP
Shawn Piller as EP
Shelley Eriksen as CRTR/EP
Tassie Cameron as EP
Tecca Crosby as EP
Tim Kilby as CRTR/EP

10 episode 1st season.

This already aired in Canada. Season 2 is currently airing in Canada. It's an 18 episode season. It should air on ION later this year.

From what I understand, this is a light Canadian procedural like Castle.

Don't know how many of you have time or interest in this with how crowded TV is right now. But, I figured some may try it because Priestley is known and liked for the most part from his 90210 days even though he now works mostly in Canada.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-21-18 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Private Eyes (ION) -- S: Jason Priestley -- Premieres 2/11/18

I watched the 1st episode tonight and I kind of liked it.

It's a light and fluffy procedural, but Priestley is very likable. Like I said, this is basically the Canadian version of Castle. He's not a writer, but a former Hockey player turned agent and he teams up with an attractive PI. And this show doesn't hide that it's Canadian. License plates say "Ontario"

1st episode dealt with them working together to figure out why a young hockey suffered a heart attack on the ice. So Angie (female lead) and Matt team up to solve the case.

Priestley's character Matt lives with his Dad and teenage daughter (very similar formula like Castle)

Priestley and Cindy Sampson (the female lead) have good chemistry. I'll watch episode 2 later on.

at the end of the 1st episode, they played the original Hall and Oates song. A really bad cover bad cover of it was the show's theme.

I don't think this will draw much action here, especially being on a small network like ION. But, if you want to watch something light/fun and have DVR space, maybe give this a try.
Old 02-12-18, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last edited by LaxBandit; 02-12-18 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-12-18, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
At the end of the 1st episode, they played the original Hall and Oates song. A really bad cover bad cover of it was the show's theme.
Old 02-12-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was not aware of this, but trailer looks good. Id at least check it out. As you said a lot of shows on now, so may record the lot and watch in May for a summer show.
Old 02-12-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll catch this at some point as I like these type of shows.

Whats the pun behind Private Eyes?
Old 02-12-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched the 1st episode tonight and I kind of liked it.

It's a light and fluffy procedural, but Priestley is very likable. Like I said, this is basically the Canadian version of Castle. He's not a writer, but a former Hockey player turned agent and he teams up with an attractive PI. And this show doesn't hide that it's Canadian. License plates say "Ontario"

1st episode dealt with them working together to figure out why a young hockey suffered a heart attack on the ice. So Angie (female lead) and Matt team up to solve the case.

Priestley's character Matt lives with his Dad and teenage daughter (very similar formula like Castle)

Priestley and Cindy Sampson (the female lead) have good chemistry. I'll watch episode 2 later on.

at the end of the 1st episode, they played the original Hall and Oates song. A really bad cover bad cover of it was the show's theme.

I don't think this will draw much action here, especially being on a small network like ION. But, if you want to watch something light/fun and have DVR space, maybe give this a try.
I am almost done with the 2nd episode and I like it...the show lives or dies on the chemistry between Priestley and Cindy Sampson and it is nice that the chemistry does not feel forced. I also did not groan that the daughter is partially blind. I am always a potential fan of (easy mark for) light and fluffy shows and this works. It is like a palate cleanser after I watched a few episodes of Altered Carbon last night.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 02-12-18 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-12-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a fun, light show if you enjoy detective procedurals. The formula being used is somewhat of a throwback, with a small cast and focus on the two leads. Cindy Sampson is a perfect lead for this kind of material.

Private Eyes is very topically Canadian, however. Some of the inside hockey references were over my head unless you know something about hockey recruiting and scouting in the wilds of Canada.
Old 02-12-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I'll catch this at some point as I like these type of shows.

Whats the pun behind Private Eyes?
Why do you think there's a pun?

Aren't they private investigators?
Old 02-13-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Private Eyes is very topically Canadian, however. Some of the inside hockey references were over my head unless you know something about hockey recruiting and scouting in the wilds of Canada.
the wilds of Toronto... where daily you come across moose, bears and bigfoots.

Originally Posted by whotony View Post

Probably because the short form for Investigator is "I", not "eye".
Old 02-13-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony View Post

I just thought it was a better pun. Maybe one was blind?
Old 02-13-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finished the second episode last night and it just solidified my opinion that this is indeed a fun show to watch. I had no idea this show was going to air until maybe three days before it premiered so I am glad I stumbled into it.
Old 02-13-18, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I also finished episode 2 last night and I really like this. It's the perfect counterpart to all these dark and gloomy shows on the air.

The case was fun and it helped segue Matt officially working with Angie as PI partners. The restaurant scene where she went undercover was pretty funny.

Looks like Cle Bennett (the detective) will be the thorn in their side while they conduct their cases.

Also, I noticed that this show is from the creative team behind Haven. Priestley worked on Haven as an actor and director, so that's probably why he was cast.
Old 02-13-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone with DirecTV recording this? They show the original air dates of 2016 so I'm not sure if my DVR will pick up each week as new episodes.
Old 02-13-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Anyone with DirecTV recording this? They show the original air dates of 2016 so I'm not sure if my DVR will pick up each week as new episodes.
When recording, select "All episodes" It should record only the 1st airing and not duplicates.
Old 02-13-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When recording, select "All episodes" It should record only the 1st airing and not duplicates.
Is that the case? i have all episodes set for other shows and it seems to record every showing on that channel, regardless.
Old 02-13-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Is that the case? i have all episodes set for other shows and it seems to record every showing on that channel, regardless.
It works on Cinemax for Strike Back. That airs like a million times during the week and I only get the 1st airing.

It's probably hit or miss sometimes. You can always delete the duplicates if it happens.
Old 02-13-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I can do that. I just didn't want to end up with tons of recordings if ION shows it repeatedly throughout the week. Or, if I limit the total #, having old episodes over-write ones I haven't seen.
Old 03-03-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm through the 4 episodes that have aired and I really like this show. This is kind of a throwback to the old detective shows of the 80's and 90's.

Priestley and Cindy Sampson are really likable and play well off each other. Episode I saw dealt with an author who hires Shade and Angie to find the person who tried to kill him. Shade was also giddy about getting his PI license. It was a fun episode.

I have to correct myself, it looks like ION is now airing 1 episode per week now after airing the 1st 2 episodes week 1.

Oh and after listening to it a few more times, I actually kind of like the Private Eyes cover for the theme now.
Old 03-03-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't caught this show yet, but it looks like it might be worth a glance. Apparently it was renewed for a 3rd season on Global, but that's all I know.
Old 03-16-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just saw episode 5.

Interesting little reveal at the end at Angie's mystery man was Derek. They seemed more like adversaries than potential lovers.

Cindy Sampson did look really good in the tight leather mini skirt at the beginning.

Matt's shown some jealousy and interest in Angie. I think it's a little too early for that to happen in this show.

Like Castle, I like seeing how Matt is trying to be a good father and be active in his daughter's life.
Old 03-19-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Really liked episode 6 with the speed dating and the identity theft con woman.

Recognized the con woman (Natalie Brown) from The Strain. She played Eph's ex-wife.

Matt and Angie's relationship/chemistry has been solid.
Old 03-19-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I checked out part of an episode the other day and found it a bit insipid. I appreciate the playful tone, but it didn't grab me. Glad to see Toronto playing itself for once, but the show is forgettable fluff.
Old 03-20-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really liked episode 6 with the speed dating and the identity theft con woman.

Recognized the con woman (Natalie Brown) from The Strain. She played Eph's ex-wife.

Matt and Angie's relationship/chemistry has been solid.
I just started this episode last night and am glad to hear it is especially fun. I almost forgot about this show until I noticed that the past several weeks of episodes had been building up on my tivo. I decided to try and get caught up starting the past couple of days and so far so good...only a few more eps and I am all up to date.

It is such an easy watch that even when I am at the point where I should turn of the tv to sleep I say to myself, what the heck less than 15 minutes left so I might as well finish it off.
Old 03-21-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's the type of show that I think works better under an American network model with 20+ episodes a season. I have no interest investing myself in a breezy mystery show for its characters if we are only getting ten episodes a year.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.