DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Murphy Brown Revival Ordered at CBS; Candice Bergen returning (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/642797-murphy-brown-revival-ordered-cbs%3B-candice-bergen-returning.html)

dex14 01-24-18 03:47 PM

Murphy Brown Revival Ordered at CBS; Candice Bergen returning

CBS is ready to make you feel like a natural woman all over again.

The network has ordered a 13-episode revival of the classic sitcom Murphy Brown with star Candice Bergen and series creator Diane English returning to their respective roles.

Per the network, “Murphy Brown returns to a world of cable news, social media, fake news and a very different political and cultural climate.”
http://tvline.com/2018/01/24/murphy-...returning-cbs/

Deftones 01-24-18 04:18 PM

Re: Murphy Brown Revival Ordered at CBS; Candice Bergen returning

Oh jeez. Stop with the revivals of shows please! And this is coming from someone who watched Murphy Brown and enjoyed it!

Jason 01-24-18 04:43 PM

Murphy Brown worked because it had an interesting and varied cast. Good luck capturing that lightning in a bottle again.

Coral 01-24-18 04:49 PM

I guess Murphy wound up beating the cancer that returned.

The writers are gonna have a lot of material with the current administration.

Mike86 01-24-18 05:04 PM

This one feels really random to me. Never watched much of the original and I doubt I’d check out this revival.

DJariya 01-25-18 01:11 AM

I think I saw an episode of this show here and there. I was in High School at the time this aired and wasn't a big TV viewer.

I guess you could make this show topical for 2018/2019, but in the grand scheme of things, this really shows that TV development at all the networks is in horrendous shape. Original ideas aren't selling or simply aren't good if they have to turn to old long-cancelled/ended shows. I mean was anyone clamoring for a 30 minute sitcom led by a soon to be 72 year old woman?

will travel 01-25-18 01:19 AM

Can CHARLIE McCARTHY and MORTIMER SNERD make a guest appearance? ;)

Never watched the original series except for the one where Bob Newhart had a cameo appearance.
I'll anything with Bob.

Mike86 01-25-18 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13254284)
I think I saw an episode of this show here and there. I was in High School at the time this aired and wasn't a big TV viewer.

I guess you could make this show topical for 2018/2019, but in the grand scheme of things, this really shows that TV development at all the networks is in horrendous shape. Original ideas aren't selling or simply aren't good if they have to turn to old long-cancelled/ended shows. I mean was anyone clamoring for a 30 minute sitcom led by a soon to be 72 year old woman?

That’s my thought too. I mean really how much demand is there for a revival of a twenty year old show starring a seventy-two year old lead. While she’s continued to work after the original version of this show ended its not like she’s had many other beloved roles or something either where I’d think her name is that much of a draw. Something like Roseanne I can see because a lot of the actors have kept in the spotlight over time and I think that show had a bit more appeal (even though it wasn’t one I watched very often either to be honest). A lot of these revivals are just starting to reek of desperation by networks to try and dig up whatever they can because there aren’t original ideas that are working.

Michael Corvin 01-25-18 05:47 AM

I guess you could make this show topical for 2018/2019, but in the grand scheme of things, this really shows that TV development at all the networks is in horrendous shape. Original ideas aren't selling or simply aren't good if they have to turn to old long-cancelled/ended shows.

I think it has to do with the fact that everyone is producing content. What better way to stand out than bring back that thing everyone loved? (Full House, X-files, Rosanne)

I mean was anyone clamoring for a 30 minute sitcom led by a soon to be 72 year old woman?

I was at my parents' house last night and passed along this news. My mom's reaction: "Candice Bergen is great. Keep me posted, I don't want to miss this."

Original Desmond 01-25-18 09:37 AM

No please no

story 01-25-18 10:02 AM

I think these revivals are also an indication of who is actually watching TV, these days. If the young people are going for streaming services and YouTube, maybe it's the older people still watching TV. Thus, give them more of what they liked years ago.

mwbmis 01-25-18 10:20 AM

No Joe Regalbuto, no sale.

Sonny Corinthos 01-25-18 10:32 AM

Never watched then and I doubt I would watch it now.

clckworang 01-25-18 10:35 AM

I enjoyed this show a lot when it aired, but it seems a very random choice for a revival. That being said, I'll probably check it out when it airs.

windom 01-25-18 11:01 AM

Designing Women should be next.

movieking 01-25-18 11:15 AM

I could see this as a one off reunion but not a full series. I wonder if everyone would be back (aside from Eldin who died over a decade ago).

diditagain 01-25-18 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13254514)
Designing Women should be next.

Dixie Carter died in 2010 -- I'm not sure the other three female leads would consider doing a revival without her.

Also, Alice Ghostley died in 2007 -- I would miss not seeing kooky Bernice every once in a while.

jpcamb 01-25-18 11:24 AM

how long until we are dipping into Gilligan's Island or truly jumping the shark and rebooting Happy Days?

windom 01-25-18 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by movieking (Post 13254532)
I could see this as a one off reunion but not a full series. I wonder if everyone would be back (aside from Eldin who died over a decade ago).

Phil, the bar owner, is also dead. Also Jay Thomas.

Coral 01-25-18 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by diditagain (Post 13254542)
Dixie Carter died in 2010 -- I'm not sure the other three female leads would consider doing a revival without her.

Also, Alice Ghostley died in 2007 -- I would miss not seeing kooky Bernice every once in a while.

Also Jan Hooks (who was brought on to substitute someone who left) - if that was an option.

diditagain 01-25-18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13254608)
Also Jan Hooks (who was brought on to substitute someone who left) - if that was an option.

I don't even remember hearing about Jan Hooks' death (at only 57 from throat cancer -- wow, very sad).

Back to Murphy Brown, as others have said, Eldin the painer and Phil the bartender are gone, and according to Wikipedia, Charles Kimbrough (Jim Dial) is 81 and hasn't acted in anything since a play in 2012, so I would think the chances of him returning are slim.

jjcool 01-25-18 03:22 PM

Seems like Murphy Brown is right in a lot of CBS watchers wheelhouses. I for one, enjoyed the odd episode I caught of the original, but it was never must see tv for me. I doubt I would watch this. It seems to me that these reboots are a bit hit or miss. Stuff like The X-Files and Prison Break, work. Stuff like Will and Grace flop. If I were a betting man, I would say this would flop. It's been too long, and, more importantly, you dont have all of the core personnel still around.

Noonan 01-25-18 03:39 PM

IMO, politics are way too serious these days (school shootings, sexual assault, racism..etc) for this show to work well. How can they make light of what's going on in the world?

Michael Corvin 01-25-18 05:29 PM

Just looked it up. MB was on for a decade 88-98 and had 249 episodes. That's unreal. I had no idea it ran that late into the 90s. I remember watching it but it's doubtful I watched the full run.

I get that it's natural to want the full cast back even if everyone was alive, but in real life it would be highly unlikely that all these people stayed at the same network together all these years.

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13254763)
IMO, politics are way too serious these days (school shootings, sexual assault, racism..etc) for this show to work well. How can they make light of what's going on in the world?

Did you sleep through the last election and all of 2017? :lol:

funkyryno 01-25-18 07:32 PM

I was a little too young for the show when it first aired, but even then I remember thinking how ridiculous the controversy was over the single parent storyline. It was pretty ingenious how they weaved actual footage of Dan Quayle speaking about Murphy Brown into the show.