Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Party of Five - reboot (Freeform)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-18, 12:33 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
Party of Five - reboot (Freeform)

The Party of Five reboot is inching closer to reality.

The cable network Freeform has made a pilot production commitment with Sony Pictures Television Studios for a new take on the ’90s Fox drama, THR.com reports. Original series creators Chris Keyser and Amy Lippman are spearheading the project.

As previously reported, the new Party of Five is centered on a first-generation Latino family that has immigrated to the United States. The original series, which ran from 1994-2000 and made stars out of Scott Wolf, Matthew Fox, Neve Campbell and Lacey Chabert, followed the Salinger siblings’ struggles after their parents died in a car crash. It won the Golden Globe in 1996 for Best TV drama, and spawned the short-lived spinoff Time of Your Life — starring Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jennifer Garner and Pauley Perrette — which ran from 1999-2000.
http://tvline.com/2018/01/18/party-o...gration-twist/
Old 01-18-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
re: Party of Five - reboot (Freeform)

So that's it? Change colors, slap on a pre-approved brand label, and move into production?

It's a bit patronizing to minority viewers, isn't it? As if to say, you'll never be truly accepted by the mainstream unless a you're associated with a recognizable white brand.

Someone please inform Jane the Virgin to rename themselves M.A.S.H.
Old 01-18-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Hey, that's what they did with One Day at a Time, isn't it?

Made a "star" out of Lacey Chabert? I mean, she's had roles and countless Hallmark films, but I think Jennifer Love Hewitt is more of a star than she was...
Old 01-18-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't remember Time of Your Life. I'll have to search that out.
Old 01-19-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
yeah i dont remember that show at all.
Old 01-19-18, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like TV Line left out a key detail in their description of the reboot. The article at the Futon Critic explains the political circumstances that will result in the five children being on their own:

The reboot will follow the five Buendias children as they navigate daily life struggles to survive as a family unit after their parents are suddenly deported back to Mexico.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...118freeform01/
Old 01-19-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Closer To Free" now has a deeper meaning, I'm sure.

It's an interesting twist on the premise. I hope they don't sing and dance in every episode like the white kids did.
Old 01-19-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_o...ife_(TV_series)

It aired almost 18 years ago. Way before the Internet took off. There is some really bad quality VHS rips on YouTube.
Old 01-19-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I actually binged watched Party of Five on Netflix last summer (I got to Season 5, but after that it really goes downhill). I thought the first 3 seasons held up pretty well (although the clothes and music of the grunge era really bring me back to the mid 90's). What's interesting is to revisit a show like that now and watch every plot in the context of not having a smartphone. So many plots were predicated on the characters not being able to get in touch with each other, and how you could just disappear for a few hours and nobody could get a hold of you. And I had a crush on Neve Campbell, so that was probably why I watched it back then!
Old 01-20-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
So that's it? Change colors, slap on a pre-approved brand label, and move into production?

It's a bit patronizing to minority viewers, isn't it? As if to say, you'll never be truly accepted by the mainstream unless a you're associated with a recognizable white brand.

Someone please inform Jane the Virgin to rename themselves M.A.S.H.
That seems like a very odd and somewhat angry take on the situation.

They want to produce a show with an all Latino cast, and they are rebooting a show from 25 years ago.

I guarantee you that the target audience has never seen or heard of the original. Most people had not heard of it when it was on TV in the 90s.

It is not about using a "white brand" name. It is just recycling an old idea, which is the prevailing trend in TV today.
Old 01-20-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The original had fantastic casting. Virtually all of the cast had significant acting careers after the show ended.
Old 01-20-18, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain
Looks like TV Line left out a key detail in their description of the reboot. The article at the Futon Critic explains the political circumstances that will result in the five children being on their own:

The reboot will follow the five Buendias children as they navigate daily life struggles to survive as a family unit after their parents are suddenly deported back to Mexico.

Suddenly deported? You mean they were here illegally? Crocodile tears.
Old 01-20-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Suddenly deported? You mean they were here illegally? Crocodile tears.
But you could see how that might suck for the kids, or at least provide compelling drama for a TV show, right?

I mean, crocodile tears for Walter White who could have had his cancer treatment paid for by a rich friend, but instead decided to ruin a bunch of lives with a meth empire. It still made for an awesome show.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (01-03-20)
Old 01-20-18, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
But you could see how that might suck for the kids, or at least provide compelling drama for a TV show, right?

I mean, crocodile tears for Walter White who could have had his cancer treatment paid for by a rich friend, but instead decided to ruin a bunch of lives with a meth empire. It still made for an awesome show.
or they could just kill the parents like in the original Party of Five. But instead they will make it about poor illegals immigrant family who's parents are here illegally get deported.
Old 01-20-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain

It would be tough for the kids but it doesn’t provide the same gravitas as parents dying. It’s not the same but at least they would be a phone/Skype/FaceTime call away.
Old 01-20-18, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

or they could just kill the parents like in the original Party of Five. But instead they will make it about poor illegals immigrant family who's parents are here illegally get deported.
Originally Posted by Kdogg
It would be tough for the kids but it doesn’t provide the same gravitas as parents dying. It’s not the same but at least they would be a phone/Skype/FaceTime call away.
But on the original the parents were very successful, so the kids inherited money, the house, and the restaurant.

The reboot will likely throw the kids into worse economic circumstances, making the drama more realistic.
Old 01-20-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

You could always watch the original. Why just retread the same ground?
Old 01-20-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
That seems like a very odd and somewhat angry take on the situation.

They want to produce a show with an all Latino cast, and they are rebooting a show from 25 years ago.

I guarantee you that the target audience has never seen or heard of the original. Most people had not heard of it when it was on TV in the 90s.

It is not about using a "white brand" name. It is just recycling an old idea, which is the prevailing trend in TV today.
This is the same thing I thought when they rebooted One Day at a Time or Uncle Buck, why resurrect an old show if you don't care about the old audience and you want to do something different?

Plus I have my doubts that this show won't be politically polarizing given the premise with the parents.
Old 01-21-18, 02:17 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is nothing unique about the premise of party of five

It was the cast that made the show

Just make something new
Old 01-21-18, 09:13 AM
Suspended

But on the original the parents were very successful, so the kids inherited money, the house, and the restaurant.

The reboot will likely throw the kids into worse economic circumstances, making the drama more realistic.
The parents could still be poor and died in a car accident. The fact they made mention of being deported means they are going for the political point.

Maybe the parents could just murder some people and get tossed in jail? Still alive like the deported ones and they both committed a crime.
Old 01-21-18, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The parents could still be poor and died in a car accident. The fact they made mention of being deported means they are going for the political point.

Maybe the parents could just murder some people and get tossed in jail? Still alive like the deported ones and they both committed a crime.
Because associating their TV show with a current political concern draws attention to the project, and TV show producers want people to be curious and interested in the show.

Old men (like me) on this forum may see the political issue as polarizing but it is not one to the viewers of FreeForm and the teenage (mostly girl) target audience for this show. I guarantee you that the overwhelming majority of people under 25 in the US are solidly on the "liberal" side of the DACA debate.
Old 01-21-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is the same thing I thought when they rebooted One Day at a Time or Uncle Buck, why resurrect an old show if you don't care about the old audience and you want to do something different?

Plus I have my doubts that this show won't be politically polarizing given the premise with the parents.
Because every person that writes about TV knows "Party of Five" so the reboot automatically gives them a point of entry to discuss the show.

If FreeForm had announced the production of a pilot for a show that was like Po5 but did not have the name, would this thread even exist? Using the same name starts the conversation.

Same thing as attaching the reboot to a political hot topic. Now people will have something to say before the show even exists.
Old 01-21-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then why bother using it in the first place?
Old 01-22-18, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
yeah i dont remember that show at all.
The Mad TV parody was more memorable:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ohGm-d606Ds?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (01-03-20)
Old 01-22-18, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Then why bother using it in the first place?
Its still a pre-sold property that would help sell it to streamers, overseas, etc.

It's like a can't lose situation. I think of it as all those National Lampoon movies which have nothing to do with the core cast, just a title slapped on for some recognition.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.