DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) -- premieres 1/17/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/642710-assassination-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-fx-premieres-1-17-18-a.html)

dex14 01-17-18 06:57 AM

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) -- premieres 1/17/18

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....7,1000_AL_.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zMr3CtRQx6Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WrXL4URRbTc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Inspired by actual events, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story is the second installment of FX’s award-winning limited series, American Crime Story.

Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Brad Falchuk, Alexis Martin Woodall, Dan Minahan, Tom Rob Smith, Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski are Executive Producers of The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. It is written by Tom Rob Smith, and Ryan Murphy directed the premiere episode of the series, which stars Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez, Penelope Cruz and Ricky Martin. The series is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.

FX’s first installment of ACS, The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, garnered 9 Emmy Awards while collecting 22 nominations. As one of the most critically acclaimed programs of 2016, it also won Golden Globe, BAFTA, AFI, PGA, WGA and TCA awards.
Nine episode Season 2. It was already renewed for Season 3, which will deal with Hurricane Katrina (as of now).

Geofferson 01-17-18 09:14 AM

Re: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) -- premieres 1/17/

I'm doubtful this'll be on par with season 1, but I hope I'm wrong. Regardless, looking forward to the premiere after the seemingly endless promotion campaign FX did for this show.

Osiris3657 01-17-18 09:45 AM

Re: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) -- premieres 1/17/

Will set the DVR

Decker 01-17-18 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 13248016)
I'm doubtful this'll be on par with season 1, but I hope I'm wrong.

Alan Sepinwall was a little disappointed in it but says it has some good parts. Certainly no People vs OJ.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-assa...-v-oj-simpson/

Geofferson 01-17-18 12:47 PM

^ Thanks. I typically trust Sepinwall so this seems credible and what I would have expected.

dex14 01-18-18 04:55 PM

I didn’t think much of this.

dave94 01-18-18 05:40 PM

I had no idea that was Penelope Cruz until the end credits. I thought her performance, and most of the others, was great.

writer106 01-18-18 09:43 PM

I thought it was an ok start. I'll probably keep watching. The People vs. OJ had a superior cast to this one.

MLBFan24 01-18-18 11:13 PM

I thought it was decent. Interesting cast. I’ll keep tuning in.

One thing for sure, the set designs are award worthy.

mickey65 01-19-18 10:37 AM

I really like this one. Can't wait for next week! I really love the cinematography (colors and lighting) he uses. The storyline is riveting as well. Didn't want it to end - can't wait for next week!

clckworang 01-19-18 12:38 PM

I really liked the first episode, though I didn't love it like I did season 1 right out of the gate. The show looks great, and the performances are strong. The dove made me cringe a little bit, though. That seemed a bit too much.

DJariya 01-19-18 12:50 PM

I don't know how accurate this is, but it was a decent 1st episode.

I do think the scenics, especially the opening with Versace walking around Miami looked great in HD.

Darren Criss is actually not a bad choice to play Cunanan. He has some similarities to his appearance.

Groucho 01-19-18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 13249919)
I really liked the first episode, though I didn't love it like I did season 1 right out of the gate. The show looks great, and the performances are strong. The dove made me cringe a little bit, though. That seemed a bit too much.

Except that part was real: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertai...ct-vs-fiction/

clckworang 01-19-18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13249944)

Wow. Hard to believe. It really just seemed like heavy handed symbolism

Decker 01-20-18 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13249534)

One thing for sure, the set designs are award worthy.

A lot of it was filmed at the Versace Mansion, so no awards are really necessary.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...n-crime-story/

That article states that the property is the third most photographed property in the United States after the White House and Graceland. I did not know that.

As far as the show, I’m a little on the fence. I liked some of it, but Cunanan is such an uninteresting asshole that it’s not really clicking for me yet — he seems like a one-note lying psychopath at this point. Will have to watch further to see how into it I get. Wonder how big a part Gianni will have going forward.

MLBFan24 01-21-18 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13250616)
A lot of it was filmed at the Versace Mansion, so no awards are really necessary.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...n-crime-story/

That article states that the property is the third most photographed property in the United States after the White House and Graceland. I did not know that.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize they filmed on-location.

I know nothing about this Versace incident other than what I just saw in the first episode. So I’m going into this season “blind” (as opposed to the first season about OJ. Everybody knows that story)

DJariya 01-21-18 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13251027)
Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize they filmed on-location.

I know nothing about this Versace incident other than what I just saw in the first episode. So I’m going into this season “blind” (as opposed to the first season about OJ. Everybody knows that story)

How old are you? I'm guessing under 30? The Versace murder happened in 1997, so you must have been a small kid then if you're not familiar with it at all. It was huge news back then.

Baron Of Hell 01-21-18 03:35 AM

I couldn't get through the first episode. I was bored with the bit I watched. Some of the parts just didn't ring true for me. How would anyone know the guy copied the shock of a lady. Then I just don't care about the case. I'm surprised it was a big story. I have to check the title of the thread just to recall the murdered guy's name.

I guess for people that were actually into this case will probably dig the show.

joe_b 01-21-18 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 13251053)
I have to check the title of the thread just to recall the murdered guy's name.

I've always thought it was pronounced "Versayce". ;)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2iM9Gav-G4c" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Decker 01-21-18 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 13251053)
Then I just don't care about the case. I'm surprised it was a big story. I have to check the title of the thread just to recall the murdered guy's name.

I guess for people that were actually into this case will probably dig the show.

Two factors here

1) He was a fashion icon, probably the most famous fashion designer in the world. He was also close friends to many celebrities including Princess Diana who was actually the most famous person in the world at that point. Not somebody that anyone would expect to be assassinated.

2) He was killed by a serial killer who was already being hunted across the US. There are very few serial killers and when a manhunt is going on for one it's daily news and it captivates and sometimes terrorizes the country. To have a widely hunted monster then go and kill a celebrity during the manhunt? Unheard of.

I think the non-liner storytelling that they use in the show doesn't properly convey the shock of the occurrence. I suppose there's no way to tell the story chronologically without introducing Versace very late, so this is the better solution.

dex14 01-21-18 09:33 AM

So the whole backstory is being made up?

Decker 01-21-18 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13251127)
So the whole backstory is being made up?

As that link Groucho put up details, it is disputed as to whether Gianni Versace ever met Cunanan before the shooting. It's possible, especially given his proclivities to seek out young men, but we don't know for sure.

dex14 01-21-18 09:59 AM

Which makes this immediately less interesting than the OJ season.

MLBFan24 01-21-18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13251041)
How old are you? I'm guessing under 30? The Versace murder happened in 1997, so you must have been a small kid then if you're not familiar with it at all. It was huge news back then.

I’m 33, but apparently missed this news haha

So I was 13 at the time and I guess I didn’t care for the news as a teenager. The OJ news was so big I apparently didn’t miss that. After all, it was billed as the “trial of the century”.

diditagain 01-21-18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13251327)
I’m 33, but apparently missed this news haha

So I was 13 at the time and I guess I didn’t care for the news as a teenager. The OJ news was so big I apparently didn’t miss that. After all, it was billed as the “trial of the century”.

I was 24 in 1997, and while the Versace murder was a significant news story, the overall coverage was nothing like the wall-to-wall coverage of the OJ Simpson saga.

Andrew Cunanan murdered Versace on July 15 and was dead by July 23, which resulted in roughly one week of priority coverage (once Cunanan was dead and the service for Versace was held, the story was pretty much over, at least in terms of the sensationalist TV media).

Compare that to the OJ Simpson saga, the first stage of which lasted from June 1994 (the murders and Bronco chase) to October 1995 (the criminal trial verdict) -- 16 months of non-stop coverage and endless analysis of every minute detail of the case. Then there was continued coverage after that of the civil trial.

Even if you didn't follow the news, the OJ saga was so pervasive that pretty much everyone remembers it. However, if you weren't following the news regularly as a 13-year-old in 1997, I can easily see how you wouldn't have heard about the Versace murder (or possibly heard about it in passing once or twice, but then it quickly left your brain).