Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) -- premieres 1/17/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) -- premieres 1/17/18

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 12:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) -- premieres 1/17/

I'm just on the edge of pulling the plug on this one. It's just that the OJ series was so great and compelling even though I knew what happened. This case I'm not so familiar with, so I'm not sure what's coming next, but I'm still bored with it. Hoping against hope that it becomes compelling.
Old 02-17-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) -- premieres 1/17/

What's the point of the 1 week break? I seem to remember them doing this for OJ too.
Old 02-17-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm really enjoying this series and look forward to it every week. Bummed about having to wait until the 28th for the next episode.
Old 02-17-18, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

This reverse time line is weird. I don’t know what to make of it. I don’t think it adds anything to the story — this isn’t Memento.

I enjoyed the five minutes spent with the Versace folks a Hell of a lot more than the 55 minutes spent with Cunanan. And checking that Cosmopolitan website, they’re playing fast and loose with the facts now.
Old 03-01-18, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Man episode 6 sucked. I waited two weeks for that? Total fucking misery. And probably total fiction. No way Lee, Jeff and David posed for a picture together in La Jolla with their future murderer.
Old 03-02-18, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Yea, I didn’t like the episode either. As noted above, the whole season is just going backwards - the devolution of Andrew.
Old 03-16-18, 08:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I finally caught up with this show and episode 8, Andrew's origin story, was a fantastic hour of television. The scenes with his father, Modesto, were troubling yet very well done.

I actually like the reverse chronological order they took with this. Perhaps it was more effective for me because I watched all 8 episodes over the past week and didn't draw them out. Peeling away the layers of the onion episode by episode has been rewarding, yet difficult to watch at times and yes, our patience has been tested a time or two.

No clue where the finale is going, but sure am looking forward to it.
Old 03-16-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm not too fond of the season overall as there has been almost no focus on Versace... but this week's episode was awesome.

Geofferson - there's only one place this will go in the finale...
Spoiler:
the manhunt for Cunnanan and his ultimate suicide on that house boat.
Old 03-16-18, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm not too fond of the season overall as there has been almost no focus on Versace... but this week's episode was awesome.

Geofferson - there's only one place this will go in the finale...
Spoiler:
the manhunt for Cunnanan and his ultimate suicide on that house boat.
Yes, agree. Given the unorthodox approach with this season, I trust there will be some unpredictability included.
Old 03-16-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stupid question... but is it safe to assume that Modesto was sexually abusing Andrew? Such an odd, odd existence that family had.
Old 03-16-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Something that has continued to bother me all season is the idea of the truth. It has bugged me how much of the story this season has been pure speculation and perhaps a few added elements for shock value.

I know it's common practice for Hollywood to fill in blanks as it chooses when things are unknown. It's not something that usually bothers me that much, but I think having covered a story so well known in the first season has left my bull shit meter going off. I know there were some fictionalized elements in the first season as well, but I guess there was a stronger factual foundation.

There's just way too much that only Andrew could have possibly known in this season. Maybe I would have liked the overall season more if the investigation and flashbacks to Versace were the main focus with Andrew's actions being woven in, sort of like a boogeyman. I don't know. Something just hasn't clicked with me the same way as season 1.

Stupid question... but is it safe to assume that Modesto was sexually abusing Andrew? Such an odd, odd existence that family had.
I can't remember exactly what was said, but I remember his dad saying something that led me to believe that.
Old 03-16-18, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
I can't remember exactly what was said, but I remember his dad saying something that led me to believe that.
Yes, there was definitely a brief father-son exchange when Modesto was tucking Andrew in bed - about a prior incident and Andrew being quiet about it. Definitely pointing to some sort of abuse that occurred.
Old 03-22-18, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Season finale was last night. Great season overall, I watched every episode the same day it came out (a rarity for most shows I watch these days). Still not as good as the nearly perfect People vs OJ season, but very good. Looking forward to the Katrina season next year. I started reading the book it's based on.
Old 03-23-18, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Season finale was last night. Great season overall, I watched every episode the same day it came out (a rarity for most shows I watch these days). Still not as good as the nearly perfect People vs OJ season, but very good. Looking forward to the Katrina season next year. I started reading the book it's based on.
Katrina, eh? Well, I'll watch because these shows are better than good / exceptional at times. That said, I hope this doesn't turn ultra-political or span 3/4 of the season bashing an ex-president just to make a point.
Old 03-23-18, 05:21 PM

I watched the finale last night. I like how they handled it - no more real insights but it was interesting to watch how it played out (or how they imagine it played out). Darren Criss did a pretty fantastic job portraying Andrew.

Not as strong as the OJ season, but am pleased with how the season turned out. Will, no doubt, be on this year's 'best of' list for me.
Old 03-24-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Season was mediocre. If this had nothing to do with the amazing first season, I would have probably dropped it after the first few episodes. Just interesting enough to keep watching.

Overall, it was well made. “A” for effort. Good acting and I definitely felt like I was back in the 90s.
Old 03-25-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I lost interest after the third ep.

Needed space on the dvr so off it went.

It's probably on demand I suppose maybe I'll go back and finish it later on.
Old 03-26-18, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Season was mediocre. If this had nothing to do with the amazing first season, I would have probably dropped it after the first few episodes. Just interesting enough to keep watching.

Overall, it was well made. “A” for effort. Good acting and I definitely felt like I was back in the 90s.
Yep, this.
The guy who played Cunanan was great... in a very awkward, uncomfortable way; kudos to him.
Old 03-26-18, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Katrina, eh? Well, I'll watch because these shows are better than good / exceptional at times. That said, I hope this doesn't turn ultra-political or span 3/4 of the season bashing an ex-president just to make a point.
The book is on the experiences in one of the major hospitals in New Orleans, which was flooded and lost power. Doctors euthanized patients they didn't think would make it.
Old 04-03-18, 05:00 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Finished it up this past weekend, let a few episodes build up, but I really enjoyed it, clearly the focus was on Andrew and way less so on Versace.

Lots of liberties taken I'm sure with many of the story lines, but watching the backstory of his dad was crazy. I was half expecting a Wolf of Wall Street type cameo.

A well done show, very interesting- and it's just amazing how he hid out on a houseboat in Miami for a week!
Old 04-03-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started watching the 48 Hours on ID (channel) documentary about this incident, which I recorded in July. Interesting to see what matched up between fact and fiction. It’s eerie seeing photos of the real victims. As I noted earlier in the thread, I didn’t know anything about this incident before watching this season.